Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

News on 2025 992.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 07:51 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
my understanding , more electric motors , with same 3.6 L ice engine = more power
This, I believe, is a very interesting remark.
The 911 turbo is a volume model for Porsche and consequently they will have to comply with the same Lambda 1 constrain as the GTS.

We already know it will be hybrid, so the big question to me is the following, which way will Porsche go for the necessary increase in power over the GTS?

- most of the power increase coming from the ICE with still a traditional AWD with mechanical transmission to the front axle

Or

- most of the power increase coming from additional electric motors in the front without the traditional mechanical transmission to front axle and a sizable battery (about 10 kWh would suffice) in what used to be the transmission tunnel

I have no additional info, but for sure the potential power increase with additional electric motors is there (150-200 hp are easy) and would enable the same GTS 3.6 ICE to reach around 700 combined HP without increased emissions.
Weight maybe up another 50-100 lbs from current turbo 992.1.

Following is a little background info about why Lambda=1 across the rev range is coming.

The progression of emission legislation in Europe and China increased the engagement of the automotive industry in the development of improved exhaust gas aftertreatment and combustion systems. The fulfillment of particle number (PN) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) targets in real world driving scenarios have led to the introduction of gasoline particulate filters (GPF) and enlarged catalytic converters. Now on top of these major upgrades, the monitoring of carbon monoxide (CO) emissions according to RDE legislation (Real Driving Emissions) as well as recent regulations on auxiliary emission strategies put high load fuel enrichment for component protection into focus and a ban of enrichment is widely expected. Hence, gasoline engine technologies which enable Lambda = 1 operation in the entire engine map are specifically promoted.

Last edited by cebe; 06-01-2024 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: News on 2025 992.2