992 TTS Wheel damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 03:35 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
A few week ago, I was in La Jolla getting a haircut at 6:30 AM - literally not a single car parked in the street - parked my TTS in front of shop, and while I was getting out, a girl drove up in a F350 and parked literally right next to me, even thought there were 100 other spots open. As I was getting my cut, I heard a loud crash - and as she was leaving, she managed to back into my new TTS - hard to imagine. She hit the rear wheel, and a very small dent in the fender. My TTS has the sport design package with dark silver metallic wheels (like OP's) . . .any guesses on the cost of that wheel? Lucky for me, the truck was a work truck and they wrote me a check for the wheel, paintless dent repair, and a 4wheel alignment. . . . the wheel alone was $7,262, and none in stock in the US. . . PN 992-601-025-AA-OS8 . . . that's list price - seems to be around $5K at online dealers, but I just had the wheel repaired as it was very minor damage, and bought a set of HREs. . . lemonade out of lemons!
I've seen this story before in a movie.....did she start scrolling through her nudes as she looked for her insurance info? I bet she was looking for Mr Right lol....
Old 02-18-2024, 04:22 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 390 Posts

She was actually horrified over what she had just done - I actually felt bad for her, but such a stupid F'ing error. I was totally shocked that her company totally took responsibility for it without any drama, and wired me the money in a few weeks - best possible outcome from a **** situation.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:16 AM
911_MRL
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Is that a Sport Package rim? Good thing you got insurance, likely quite costly for that rim.

I can't believe guys winter drive these cars, salt, rocks everywhere.
yes that’s the sports packages’ rim. I only have this car to use as my everyday commute to school! Regardless of the conditions have to drive this. Afterall, the car is fully ppf so not too much concerned about the paint, have taken it through touchless automatic car washes a few times. I don’t plan on keeping the car forever.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:19 AM
911_MRL
Intermediate

$350k car in Canada. Like I said, rocks and salt, it literally destroys your car.

Who cares if it mass produced? So you trash your car because it doesn’t have an ST or SC badge on it? Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Have you taken the bumper off these cars? Rocks sand and salt will go all over the turbos, engine etc, tons of crap gets spit up there in the summer, never mind the winter.

You live in USA, I’m talking Canadian winters. No one I know winter drives their summer cars here, we all have winter vehicles.

Not to brag or be called spoiled but I am not that old, I am young and I got my drivers license less than a month ago. I’d much rather spend every bit driving the car and not care about the weather as long as it’s driveable. Not saying I’m going to trash the car but not take excessive care and keep the car untouched for the next owner. I bought it to drive it.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:21 AM
911_MRL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
That's fine to drive nicely but with the cords showing through the damaged sidewall I wouldn't be doing any drag races.

New rubber and possibly a new rim, that's more than rash on the wheel. And a check for alignment and visual inspection for any broken suspension bits.
I hope all of these will be covered by the tire and rim insurance.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:56 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You're fine.

Just some road rash. Alignment might be off, so get that checked once you get your new wheel and tire.
+1…wheel itself cosmetic damage, but not sure how hard you hit. If you’re concerned, flatbed to dealer for an inspection

maybe some snow tires for the season to be safe
Old 02-19-2024, 04:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,633 Likes on 5,099 Posts

$350k car in Canada. Like I said, rocks and salt, it literally destroys your car.

Who cares if it mass produced? So you trash your car because it doesn’t have an ST or SC badge on it? Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Have you taken the bumper off these cars? Rocks sand and salt will go all over the turbos, engine etc, tons of crap gets spit up there in the summer, never mind the winter.

You live in USA, I’m talking Canadian winters. No one I know winter drives their summer cars here, we all have winter vehicles.
Fully aware of what salt and ice can do to a car, but then, again, it is just a car.

Drive, get it fixed (if it needs fixing), then rinse and repeat.

These aren't faberge eggs, to be garaged and gawked at from afar and near. They're meant to be taken out and driven. The TTS, in particular, is meant to be an all-season, all weather 911.

Not telling you what to do with your car, or how to drive it, but if the price of the car is hindering you from driving it, perhaps it wasn't the best purchase to begin with.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

I guess you're not understanding what I am saying... That yellow icon of the head smash, that is what I am doing now reading this.

The following users liked this post:
vrybad (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 07:42 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 911_MRL
I hope all of these will be covered by the tire and rim insurance.
Good luck. The wheel and tire package I purchased from my dealer wouldn't replace a wheel if the tire holds air. Seriously.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

I live in Canada, and we have snow until the end of May on many mountain passes. I drove my previous (991.2) TTS for 4 winters, including one snow rally (cayenne broke the morning of). Nothing went wrong. No abnormal damage or wear and tear. My car is covered with PPF (front half) and has ceramic on the paint, though. The only thing that rusted was aftermarket exhaust mounting hardware. The dealer replaced it with matching OEM hardware as a courtesy, and it did not rust. The only issue was deep snow popping off brake ducts. It does not seem to be an issue on the new (992) one, strangely. So lower clearance aside, it's no more fragile than any other porsche, which are very robust.

Regarding the damaged wheel - it should be ok to keep driving and repairable. OEM wheels are very robust and do not crack but bend. I did a similar thing in a very similar situation last year (hit a patch of ice and slid into a curb) with even more damage, and the wheel was repaired, even though it was a complex repair, while the car was completely fine. The sidewall of the tire also looks fine to me - it's the rim protector that got damaged. But close inspection of the tire is a good idea anyway. Here is how my damaged wheel looked like.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 02-20-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:14 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Certainly looks to be more cosmetic than anything. That said, I would absolutely have the alignment numbers checked and any adjustments made if needed. It doesn't look hard enough to have actually bent anything linkage wise, but always best to check!!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide

Quick Reply: 992 TTS Wheel damage