Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

The next round of Turbo S allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 02:54 PM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

My convo with my SA was in regards to me securing a build slot (I had put in the $1k deposit a year ago). I’m bringing my 10% deposit this week. October 18th delivery. MY2024. I received the Porsche Track Your Dream email that day.

Originally Posted by chance6
Excuse me for saying so but some SA's don't know what in the Hell they're talking about. Back in December I got the "They aren't building any more Turbos", when asking about TTS or TT allocations which I was supposed to get.
Then another SA yesterday tells me that 992.2 won't come out till 2026. Really?
Let them go ahead and take your $2500 deposit and let you sit on a list with no actions taken.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:08 PM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Also, Chance, I heard the same thing as you 4 weeks ago, and then he called me back out of the blue and said that things had changed and that there were going to be more .1 TT/S builds this year and offered me this slot. That’s when he said that the first year of .2 they will not have a TT/S because they will focus on other 911 types.
Obviously, he could be totally wrong, but at least for my build, he appears to be correct.

Originally Posted by chance6
Excuse me for saying so but some SA's don't know what in the Hell they're talking about. Back in December I got the "They aren't building any more Turbos", when asking about TTS or TT allocations which I was supposed to get.
Then another SA yesterday tells me that 992.2 won't come out till 2026. Really?
Let them go ahead and take your $2500 deposit and let you sit on a list with no actions taken.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:21 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by NEH51
Also, Chance, I heard the same thing as you 4 weeks ago, and then he called me back out of the blue and said that things had changed and that there were going to be more .1 TT/S builds this year and offered me this slot. That’s when he said that the first year of .2 they will not have a TT/S because they will focus on other 911 types.
Obviously, he could be totally wrong, but at least for my build, he appears to be correct.
That makes more sense. Yes there's usually a lag on new Gen introduced vs. when TTS is introduced.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:35 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
Recession? Why? Jobs are plentiful and interest rates are at a high and yet the economy is doing okay.
Early next year interest rates will begin to decrease - and once that starts the stock market will soar. Most Porsche toy cars are bought by guys with assets from the stock market.

Real estate pricing has been resilient so far despite higher interest rates. Will real estate values fall as interest rates increase?

lastly - Porsche toy car prices are not likely to decline on the window sticker in fact- the prices are more likely to get bumped another 10% to 15% - maybe more - for the 992.2. And new car prices will make cars from the last several years seem cheap. This constant increase in msrp prices of both toy Porsche vehicles and Rolex watches help underpin the value of current available used inventory.

walk into a Rolex dealer and ask to buy a sport watch - or into a Porsche dealer and ask to buy a new GT model. There might be one on the floor that was canceled or the dealer ordered to auction at the highest bid. But ask for an allocation for any 911 model.

The high interest rates have slowed some demand - but even before covid the best one could get was a courtesy $2,000 discount. And when the air- cooled 911’s of the early 70’s were selling new the dealers almost never sold those cars below msrp.

The most logical alternative to the 911 GT3 or even a Turbo S is the Ferrari 296 GTB - but that car is close to $500,000. My new GT3 - 2024- even with a $40,000 ADM was $240,000 - half of a Ferrari.

The new Z06 is a $160,000 or more vehicle - and the new ZR1 will be a $225,000 vehicle.

My GT3 will not make me a profit and will likely depreciate as I drive the car - which is okay with me.

But if your waiting for a huge discount on any 911 - let alone a GT - my advice is stop holding your breathe.

and most important- Porsche is working on making the pts program available for all models and is releasing new standard colors that will bolster demand along with the new facelift 992.2. Being spoiled big kids- all current owners of a 992 will want a 992.2 in their garage as well.

My expectations is that good customers will get offered 992.2 911’s at msrp. New customers will pay a premium and almost all customers will pay a premium for the 992.2 GT cars.

The vast majority of higher level 911 models are paid for in cash- and a lot more old guys with bucks to spend as the baby boomers reach retirement.

tell a dealer that you will pay cash for a GT3. Then hold your breathe.
how many of you would pay $20,000 over? For an allocation you can spec your way? $10,000 over?
How has this prediction fared so far, 3 months into 2024?

I'm trying to figure out the future 992 TTS market and if I should look for a used one or hold out hope that I get an allocation in the future. Price is an important factor for me; I might get priced out of a new one down the line.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:01 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
How has this prediction fared so far, 3 months into 2024?

I'm trying to figure out the future 992 TTS market and if I should look for a used one or hold out hope that I get an allocation in the future. Price is an important factor for me; I might get priced out of a new one down the line.
Market on these 911s is defyingly strong. A 3k mile TTS sold for MSRP in BAT recently. If you can get a heritage package one, they are $30k over msrp as its an extremely tough package to get. It makes no sense but there is a rich cult following these cars. The 992.2 will ditch the analog tach, will see a substantial price increase, and even more modernized tech making the 992.1 even more desirable.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:13 PM
Pathy
Racer

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Market on these 911s is defyingly strong. A 3k mile TTS sold for MSRP in BAT recently. If you can get a heritage package one, they are $30k over msrp as its an extremely tough package to get. It makes no sense but there is a rich cult following these cars. The 992.2 will ditch the analog tach, will see a substantial price increase, and even more modernized tech making the 992.1 even more desirable.
So more people will be wanting a used 992.1 than a new 992.2? Will new car sales dip and the prices of the 2020-2024 TTSs go up? That doesn't seem like something Porsche A.G. wants...
Old 03-10-2024, 04:17 PM
Pathy
Racer

Originally Posted by Targa32
Forgot to post the image of the new Madeira Gold - would be a great color on a turbo S. Hopefully all these new colors become available on all the various models on the configurator.

This is a beautiful color for a 911.

I would dub this the "Bill Gates" option; as he is notorious for owning a metallic Gold Porsche as his "fun" car.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:24 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

So more people will be wanting a used 992.1 than a new 992.2? Will new car sales dip and the prices of the 2020-2024 TTSs go up? That doesn't seem like something Porsche A.G. wants...
PAG wants a STRONG brand image which this is. Keeping these cars desirable as a used car absolutely attracts more people to the brand which has a direct effect of more new car sales as a whole.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:28 PM
Pathy
Racer

PAG wants a STRONG brand image which this is. Keeping these cars desirable as a used car absolutely attracts more people to the brand which has a direct effect of more new car sales as a whole.
Sure, but aren't there going to be a substantial portion of customers who would rather buy a used 992.1 than a hybridized 992.2?

I can't remember a time for Porsche when the used TTS was more desirable than the new one; it's always been "newer is better", where each generation was generally more desirable than the previous one. What you're saying on here is that the hybridized 992.2+ might not be as desirable to quite a few buyers due to the modern tech.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:43 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Sure, but aren't there going to be a substantial portion of customers who would rather buy a used 992.1 than a hybridized 992.2?

I can't remember a time for Porsche when the used TTS was more desirable than the new one; it's always been "newer is better", where each generation was generally more desirable than the previous one. What you're saying on here is that the hybridized 992.2+ might not be as desirable to quite a few buyers due to the modern tech.
There are quite a lot of people that like 991.2 TTS over 992. Hybrid cars have some fairly annoying drawbacks that I dont see going away with 992. For example how long it takes to charge the battery while driving, that battery can be depleted and car will lose power, how hard and expensive it is to replace stuff, the CELs and all kinds of issues. I am very good friends with a master tech of a reputable porsche dealership. His insights on Taycans were quite a bit of an eye opening experience for me. Number of Taycans needing full battery replacement was quite high. Its a 2 week full blown surgery that out of warranty cost would be astronomical (around $50,000).

The analog tach is a HUGE problem for many people. The new digital tach is very slow to respond, does not look good at all. It doesnt even appear analog or old. Its too modernized yet the graphics have horrendous quality and refresh rate.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:46 PM
Pathy
Racer

There are quite a lot of people that like 991.2 TTS over 992. Hybrid cars have some fairly annoying drawbacks that I dont see going away with 992. For example how long it takes to charge the battery while driving, that battery can be depleted and car will lose power, how hard and expensive it is to replace stuff, the CELs and all kinds of issues. I am very good friends with a master tech of a reputable porsche dealership. His insights on Taycans were quite a bit of an eye opening experience for me. Number of Taycans needing full battery replacement was quite high. Its a 2 week full blown surgery that out of warranty cost would be astronomical (around $50,000).

The analog tach is a HUGE problem for many people. The new digital tach is very slow to respond, does not look good at all. It doesnt even appear analog or old. Its too modernized yet the graphics have horrendous quality and refresh rate.
As someone with a hybrid Volvo XC60, I totally understand the issue with hybridization, or electric technology in general. I would NEVER buy a sports car that has any kind of electrification, having experienced it. It's fine for utility vehicles, economy cars, and the like, but a sports car, for me, and probably for quite a few people is about the ICE engine, period. Without an ICE engine I don't buy a sports car.

So the question is - how many people with money to buy cars new think like this too, and how will this affect Porsche's decisions going forward? Again, I go back to - if this is truly the case, there is a chance that Porsche begins selling a new car that is not as desirable as an older model, and sales will dip? Or will there be enough buyers who say "I don't care if it's hybrid or electric, I just want the newest model"?

Old 03-10-2024, 08:12 PM
chance6
Race Car

Says the man that is getting a 992.1 !! But I do agree on the digital tach, which will suck big time. The one on the Cayenne royally sucks.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:15 PM
chance6
Race Car

Man did they miss the BOAT on the digital tach. They could have created a really cool version of a digital tach where you could pick the 911 generation font you wanted...old school 1970s, 996 era, 997 era, 991 appearance, 992.1 appearance, etc. I was really hoping they would do this. Really sucks.
The following users liked this post:
Victory911 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Did you drive the taycan or new cayenne? If not, you should. I have seen the 296 GTB tach, Mclaren 720S, C8 Z06. They are all miles ahead of Porsche’s tach. Pixels are easy to see if you look closely and from the touching of gas pedal to the tach dial moving, there is quite a bit of delay. This is much more pronounced if you are in sport+ and upshift at higher RPMs. It is going to drive people in GT3 crazy. But Turbo S is much worse if they keep the extremely short two gears.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 PM
Allora
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche has announced today the new 911 will be launched in mid-2024 - "Sporty high performance hybrid". Based on what I've heard, it'll likely be Base & GTS launching first (end 24 / early 25 delivery) with TT/S coming out a year later (likely 2026 delivery).

Glad to have taken delivery of my 992.1 TTS last month. Can't say I'm interested in a hybrid TTS but thankfully I can just enjoy the current ride...

Quick Reply: The next round of Turbo S allocations?