Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Bewildered Ferrari Convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 08:42 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 521 Posts

Amazing how uneven experiences are at any brand of car dealer. You would think it would be better based on their prices….and within in any department of a dealership, ie service, parts, finance, sales, etc…

the training of dealer staff is the key in which dealers mostly rely on their brand manufacturers…..dealers don’t like to spend on that and manufacturers don’t excel at it……plus staff turnover at dealers makes it an ongoing challenge….a high commitment is required….

Porsche is not known for customer service excellence compared to ie Lexus for instance….either at Porsche headquarters or at a great number of their dealers…..

we still buy the cars or let’s say the brand has become so popular that lost customers to another brand isn’t critical to dealers or Porsche as there is plenty of business…and some customers even paying substantially above list…..and the allocation game…..

as someone said….wiring the money may have been smoother experience…
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 08:55 AM
cavemanmoore
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Breen
No need. I trust what you’re saying, that’s my point. I think you played a greater than zero percent role in the debacle.
why didn’t you just go get a cashiers check when you got to Nashville?

and what were you expecting in return for this email?
Both of your concerns have been addressed in earlier posts. I was unable to secure a cashier's check because banks only issue them for funds they hold. My bank is in Colorado and not only does it have a limited network, but there's also a cap on the amount for which they'll issue a cashier's check.

I composed the email as a way to clarify my thoughts and to vent. I'm not seeking resolution, merely conversing with my fellow enthusiast's. If the dealer contacts me today or tomorrow, I'm still considering purchasing the car.

Originally Posted by pitt911
multiple small mistakes added together and resulted in bad experience
Pick the car next day , most likely was an end of the month sales goal which is an artificial goal created by GM
financing issue .Most likely they were getting bigger kick back from in-house financing
Out of state check issue can be an issue , but this can be bypassed easily by GM . Fear here is lack of funds or identity theft issues
but the crux of the problem is bad frame of mind on behalf of dealership . You are lucky we are selling you a TTS , rather than we are lucky to sell you a TTS
Well said. Thanks for understanding.

Originally Posted by abiazis
Amazing how uneven experiences are at any brand of car dealer. You would think it would be better based on their prices….and within in any department of a dealership, ie service, parts, finance, sales, etc…

the training of dealer staff is the key in which dealers mostly rely on their brand manufacturers…..dealers don’t like to spend on that and manufacturers don’t excel at it……plus staff turnover at dealers makes it an ongoing challenge….a high commitment is required….

Porsche is not known for customer service excellence compared to ie Lexus for instance….either at Porsche headquarters or at a great number of their dealers…..

we still buy the cars or let’s say the brand has become so popular that lost customers to another brand isn’t critical to dealers or Porsche as there is plenty of business…and some customers even paying substantially above list…..and the allocation game…..

as someone said….wiring the money may have been smoother experience…
Delaying delivery and asking me to wire the money would have been much smoother.
The following 2 users liked this post by cavemanmoore:
abiazis (09-04-2023), AlexCeres (09-06-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 09:22 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 946 Likes on 542 Posts

Btw
you will love the 488
I had one last year and will buy another one in a heart beat
The following 3 users liked this post by pitt911:
Breen (09-04-2023), cavemanmoore (09-04-2023), DKM (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Breen
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
Both of your concerns have been addressed in earlier posts. I was unable to secure a cashier's check because banks only issue them for funds they hold. My bank is in Colorado and not only does it have a limited network, but there's also a cap on the amount for which they'll issue a cashier's check.

I composed the email as a way to clarify my thoughts and to vent. I'm not seeking resolution, merely conversing with my fellow enthusiast's. If the dealer contacts me today or tomorrow, I'm still considering purchasing the car.
Now I understand. Sorry
cavemanmoore (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 03:25 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Pick the car next day , most likely was an end of the month sales goal which is an artificial goal created by GM
Pick up the car the next day is just weird. They could even accept a personal check if they hold the car until the funds clear. And getting the check let’s them book the sale before end of the month for incentives. They could have signed the documents electronically, received the check via fedex, and still booked the sale on paper while holding the car for another week or two.

But personal checks are problematic and he could have wired them the money if they (checks notes) knew when the month would end and gave him 3 business days notice.

I really feel like they didn’t give a **** about this deal and don’t care it blew up.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:55 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to change your bank, not your dealer. Seems like they're set up to serve Ford buyers, not P car or F car customers.
rwbern (09-09-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 05:14 PM
cavemanmoore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
You need to change your bank, not your dealer. Seems like they're set up to serve Ford buyers, not P car or F car customers.
You're not wrong about that.
Breen (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Breen
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
You're not wrong about that.
SVB collapse week must’ve been interesting over there
cavemanmoore (09-04-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:21 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 477 Posts

If you change porsche to ferrari that's how I feel every time I go to my ferrari dealer, took years for them to even sell me a car, had to buy the first few from other states because I was told ferrari was out of reach for me, REALLY out of reach? It took me showing up with cars to get serviced for them to talk to me
Old 09-05-2023, 11:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,028 Likes on 4,872 Posts

If you can write a check, you should be able to initiate a wire.

Not sure why you would use a check to buy a big ticket item like a Turbo S.

And as the dealer, I don't blame them for not accepting it. Regardless of what they may have assured you beforehand.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Andrew Acree
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience but this has unfortunately mirrored my own. The experience varies wildly from Porsche dealership to dealership on the sales and service side. I've had some amazing experiences at Porsche North Houston and Porsche Grapevine here in Texas and Porsche Hickory in North Carolina. Porsche Plano, not so much.
cavemanmoore (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 12:41 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Having purchased many new Ferraris and Porsches (including the two cars you mention) I can say both are great but CS is often better with Porsche. Also Im sure you will love the 488 but I didn’t find it to be as good of a DD. I now have the F8 and it’s better but still not a daily. Ive worked with my dealers for years and they still ask me to wire funds. The only time they accept checks is for deposits on orders which are months out (and up to 10K on CC) Seems like the issue is they should have communicated this with you prior but if there are offering to ship the car to you I don’t see the big deal??? You have to remember that the dealer has 30 day grace to pay Porsche NA for the car and those funds are wired so the dealer doesn’t want to be waiting for funds to clear before wiring the mothership. Its nothing nefarious…..
r00t61 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:01 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts

- my impression was that multiple soft credit pulls for same item do not effect your credit score vs 1 pull
- check fraud is pretty rampant, it’s very easy to just wire a down payment; literally can do it from your laptop from most major bank accounts??

just some thoughts from OP
Old 09-06-2023, 01:43 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 785 Posts

I cant blame the dealership for not accepting a check as I wouldnt either..... It's 2023, send a wire...........
Old 09-06-2023, 10:24 PM
cavemanmoore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speedyj
- my impression was that multiple soft credit pulls for same item do not effect your credit score vs 1 pull
- check fraud is pretty rampant, it’s very easy to just wire a down payment; literally can do it from your laptop from most major bank accounts??

just some thoughts from OP
When a dealer checks your credit to determine the most suitable lender, it's typically a soft pull. However, when the chosen lenders individually review your credit, each of these is a hard pull, which will impact your credit score. While some might debate this, direct communication with credit firms supports this.

I had the capability to initiate a wire transfer before having to rearrange my out-of-state appointments and booking last-minute flights to Nashville, all upon the dealer's insistence. They assured me a check would suffice, even taking the step to verify funds with my bank. Initiating a transfer at the dealership, especially during the final hours of a holiday weekend, would have meant an unplanned extended stay in Nashville, waiting for funds to clear, something my wife and I hadn't scheduled.

A logical solution would have been to wire the funds after the holiday on Tuesday. Both the salesman and the GSM had expressed their intention to contact me post-holiday to finalize the sale, even offering delivery to either of my residences. Yet, I received no communication on Tuesday. Despite my attempts to reach out via phone, text, and email today, I've received no feedback. Additionally, the car is no longer listed as available on their website. It leads me to believe they prioritized another buyer, which I surmise was their intention all along.

Frankly, I'm not overly bothered by the experience. My dissatisfaction stemmed from the service (or lack thereof) I received from Porsche of Nashville. Fortunately, there's no shortage of reputable dealers, including other Porsche dealerships, to choose from. This experience has been enlightening, and I've gleaned insights to ensure smoother transactions in the future.

Quick Reply: Bewildered Ferrari Convert