Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Experiencing Flats w/ Center-Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 06:16 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I csrry in all my cars a portable compressor, plug kit, and two cans of Fix-A-Flat if all else fails to get off the road. All my cars so far have been center locks, my 24' is a lug car only because the drag strips are really giving me a hard time, Center locks look much better, lugs are easier for most owners IMO If you are worried get lugs
Just curious but what issue do they tracks have with the center locks?
Old 08-13-2023, 09:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
No, not at all. I was a bit apprehensive getting the CL reading all the scare scams on the internet, but once I figured them out, I realized they are no more difficult to manage than 5-lugs. I change my wheels quite regularly, either to do the winter/summer wheel swaps or to rotate the tires every 2nd track day. I have a multiplier bar that I bought for less than $200 on Amazon that easily fits it my tool box (that itself fits in the frunk). The parking brake is sufficient for the rear wheels, but I do need a helper for the front wheels. The anti-seize grease is also a breeze to smear. I can comfortably say I can swap the CL just as quickly as I can 5-lugs (I still need to do 5-lug swaps on my wife’s car so I have a direct comparison).
You need a helper.. that in and of itself negates your argument.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
No. Everything is better with a good helper but there is really no special need for one. Brake pedal can be held by anything wedged between the driver's seat and the brake pedal. I have a brake depressor from a truck (basically a piece of pipe with rubber tips) but the case from the torque wrench works just as well. I alone change CLs faster than I alone change 5 lugs but only by few minutes. It's definitely not slower, especially now that you don't need to double-tighten the nuts or re-lube the inside unless it's binding. And that's with using power tools on 5-lug, which Porsche recommends against (impact wrench use is prohibited on 5-lugs due to aluminum hubs cracking from impact over time).

Old 08-13-2023, 03:09 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

No, not at all. I was a bit apprehensive getting the CL reading all the scare scams on the internet, but once I figured them out, I realized they are no more difficult to manage than 5-lugs. I change my wheels quite regularly, either to do the winter/summer wheel swaps or to rotate the tires every 2nd track day. I have a multiplier bar that I bought for less than $200 on Amazon that easily fits it my tool box (that itself fits in the frunk). The parking brake is sufficient for the rear wheels, but I do need a helper for the front wheels. The anti-seize grease is also a breeze to smear. I can comfortably say I can swap the CL just as quickly as I can 5-lugs (I still need to do 5-lug swaps on my wife’s car so I have a direct comparison).
I have do doubt that you can switch out as fast or faster with center locks. One thing you said perked my ears. You said you rotate tires every 2nd day at the track…… what tires are you using for track duty that are NOT directional?
Old 08-13-2023, 03:13 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

My 9 year old son gladly steps on the brakes for the 10 seconds it takes to torque the front wheels. Track side, I’ve never had problems finding a buddy to carry out that task. I have zero issue dealing with center locks. If you want to be negative about it, there is no way convincing you.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:20 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
I have do doubt that you can switch out as fast or faster with center locks. One thing you said perked my ears. You said you rotate tires every 2nd day at the track…… what tires are you using for track duty that are NOT directional?
PSC2, 991.2 GT2/3RS N2 spec. I use these as dual use street and track tires.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:31 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

PSC2, 991.2 GT2/3RS N2 spec. I use these as dual use street and track tires.
Thank you! I always assumed that my cup2’s were directional. Yikes. Heading out to the garage to rotate now.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:01 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
Thank you! I always assumed that my cup2’s were directional. Yikes. Heading out to the garage to rotate now.
They are asymmetric, but not directional
Billy Bluejay (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 06:20 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

I use an Irwin clamp device to use between seat and brake to stop front wheels from moving and attach a bungy cord for steering wheel….no assistant needed….

Last edited by abiazis; 08-13-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:18 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I just keep a T-handle plug it in the car.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:17 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

The irony of people who drive impractical, over the top, high performance cars complaining about the impracticality of their over the top impractical wheels is not lost on me. If you want practical and sensible, is any Porsche GTS, Turbo or GT car that comes with center locks going to be your choice in the first place? Just asking for a friend.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:39 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

For track use, it makes sense to get the standard lug nuts. Easier to change tires. For daily driving, I don't think regular lug nuts or center wheel locks make much of a difference if any - especially when it comes to flat tires. There's no spare tire anyway, so either use fix-o-flat and drive to the local repair shop or have it towed. Either way, no one is changing tires on the side of the road.
Billy Bluejay (08-16-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 02:07 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Amir1
For track use, it makes sense to get the standard lug nuts. Easier to change tires. For daily driving, I don't think regular lug nuts or center wheel locks make much of a difference if any - especially when it comes to flat tires. There's no spare tire anyway, so either use fix-o-flat and drive to the local repair shop or have it towed. Either way, no one is changing tires on the side of the road.
Again, it is no more difficult changing wheels with center locks. I track my car quite regularly 20-25 track days/year), I rotate my tires every second track day and I have zero issues with the center locks.

Quick Reply: Experiencing Flats w/ Center-Locks