Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Front wheels damaged from rocks stuck in brake…

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 05:10 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
For example. I Had a 1 ton diesel Denali, GM product. They used chrome side steps on it stock. After one winter the steps were all pitted and rusting all over the pits. GM took the steps off, said they will replace them one time only with chrome again or black. I went black and the problem was gone.

That is good customer service.

I think I might try cut a piece of foam or some type of material and adhere it to the caliper to keep rocks from entering this area.
corrosion is not the same as a one-off event like a rock lodging in your wheel.

corrosion is patterned. I.e. the manufacturer can track and replicate the same issue, then correct with a design change like better sealing, different materials, etc.

apples to oranges as they say

dont take my word for it

try to get Porsche to cover it
Old 07-11-2023, 11:52 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 188 Posts

Angryinch, sorry to hear about any damage to your car or wheels. But you seem to have several issues with the gravel on the roads you drive on. Maybe that is the cause of your problem and not Porsche wheel/brake design? I've not experienced any similar problems where I live, maybe you should move to Scottsdale
Old 07-12-2023, 01:32 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,165 Likes on 687 Posts

Oh ya, its very common here this damage as I talk to more people. Anyone with large ceramic brakes stuffed into a rim with no clearance seem to have damage like this. Im in Canada so tons of sanding chips and rocks all over the place here. (I would love to move to Scottsdale lol.)

I told my salesman about it, he said they won't help with it. He seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, common issue.

What is bizarre is no solution to this. When I get some free time, ill search around online to see if there are any aftermarket solutions...

Old 07-12-2023, 01:33 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by vcp13
His has happened to 2 of 4 cars with pccb. In the fullness of time, I think it will happen to all of them. Just try to ignore it
My OCD does not allow for this to be ignored. I will remove the wheels, clean this area up and paint the damaged area.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:33 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

My Chevy dealer replaced carbon ceramic pads and rotor on my 19' ZR1 because of rock damage, it happened a mile from the dealership when new, replaced and never another issue, never had it on my 8 porsche's so far with carbon ceramics
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 08:50 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,354 Likes on 631 Posts

From what I gather, the damage to the wheel occurs due to a rock getting caught in the tight clearance between the caliper and the wheel. It sucks, but the expensive PCCB rotors are not at risk here.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:51 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
From what I gather, the damage to the wheel occurs due to a rock getting caught in the tight clearance between the caliper and the wheel. It sucks, but the expensive PCCB rotors are not at risk here.

Yes they are, rocks get stuck between the dust shield on the rear of the rotor and between the rotor, it makes an awful screeching sound. This is how I found out my wheels were damaged. I had the car jacked up on the front trying to find the rock.

As I moved the dust shield around, a little 3-4mm sanding chip fell out.

The issue is soft compound tires and tight tolerances between the caliper/wheel barrel and dust shield/rotor.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:14 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Yes they are, rocks get stuck between the dust shield on the rear of the rotor and between the rotor, it makes an awful screeching sound. This is how I found out my wheels were damaged. I had the car jacked up on the front trying to find the rock.

As I moved the dust shield around, a little 3-4mm sanding chip fell out.

The issue is soft compound tires and tight tolerances between the caliper/wheel barrel and dust shield/rotor.
dumbest thread on RL award goes to……
Old 09-07-2023, 07:49 AM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Just saw this thread. I have a 991.2 TTS with PCCB that has the same kind of damage on both front wheels, predating my ownership. The PO was also in Texas, where we have a lot of crappy concrete roads with loose particles. Personally I am with @Angryinch in that this is a direct consequence of poor design decisions by Porsche combined with the apparent arrogance of not recognizing/fixing the issue for years. Yes the TTS is still an awesome car and yes the issue is primarily cosmetic, but it still leaves a bad taste.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:58 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Would going aftermarket wheels in 21 fix it?
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 05:25 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 282 Posts

When I bought my car, it was used. It had both front wheels scored like you have depicted. I took it to Porsche Of The Mainline in Pennsylvania. They did a courtesy, and painted some rough material in there that looked terrible and didn’t match at all. When I pointed that out, they said that’s what they can do. I was happy to pay for real Wheel Repair and I thought they had somebody that did those things. What I ended up doing was taking it to a separate shop that refinished and powder coated all of the wheels so that they would be perfect. It was well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

I was going to have mine fixed, but caught another rock. I have 3 rings of white scratches around one rim and 2 on the other side… probably will just leave it alone.

Without a solution to this design flaw, it’s only a matter of time before they get wrecked again.

21” would help yes.

Cup2s or any soft tire make the issue worse.

It sure is annoying. No one really notices, but it bugs me.

The caliper needs a redesign to keep the rocks from falling down in there and lodging in.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 609 Posts

Just got the same issue - a very deep scratch, all the way to the metal. It's a bummer but after a rub with polishing compound, it's practically invisible on my satin gray wheels.

Some relief is that rotors are safe - rocks that get stuck between the heat shield and rotor or between the calliper and rotor get crushed by rotor without damaging it. The rotor is harder than those rocks. I had plenty of striped on rotors from such rocks but all went away - it was transfer rather than a scratch. Also, scratches on rotors are completely fine, even though I did not have any permanent scratches in my 6 years with PCCB cars, and my cars were occasional visitors to gravel traps and even did an off-road rally in a Turbo S (991.2) once.

Also, it's not just 911 issue. My Cayenne Turbo has the same issue with 20" winter wheels. I solved it by never washing the winter wheels.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:03 AM
feron315
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like the 911 isn't the only model susceptible to this haha. Mr.JWW was cranking out magnesium shaving with his.

Quick Reply: Front wheels damaged from rocks stuck in brake…