Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

M-Engineering TCU tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 04:02 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 970 Likes on 583 Posts

Searching around and I found this thread, my PDK is doing this exact same thing now, it drags the 2-3 shift during half throttle and once pretty bad lastnight during a 1/4 test run. (I hope I didnt glaze the clutches)

Typically it does this during manual driving 2-3 shift half throttle but with some boost hitting. Lastnight was the first time it did it during a 1/4 run, it used to always shift nicely.

You can see the orange G force line on this draggy during the 1/4 run, around 60mph it hits into 3rd and the Gs drop hard then climb back up. I thought it might of been wheel spin, but it feels and sounds exactly like this post.

Ive emailed M Eng to see what they said, I have Piwis3 (Clone) and can try do a clutch relearn, but is this possible with the PDK2 tune? I thought I heard someone say the clutch relearn was only possible with stock PDK tuning?? Sounds like this guy was able to clutch relearn with PDK2 tune?

Old 04-21-2024, 09:58 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Talked to a friend that did a relearn with the PDK tune he said it was fine so I fired up piwis3 tonight and did the clutch relearn process, it took a couple tries as piwis kicked out of the process a few times when the on off cycles were requested, but after a few tries I got into the process and successfully relearned the shift rods and clutches.

Did a 5-10 min road test and (fingers crossed) the shift into 3rd seems to be nice and clean and the part throttle drag/slip is gone. Going to drive it a bit more incase there is an adaptation process, I’ll hammer on it a bit later.

The following 3 users liked this post by Angryinch:
cavemanmoore (04-22-2024), Pad Bender (04-22-2024), piripi14 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:01 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
The PDK2 tune is beneficial at any power level (it is a requirement for Stage 4) including Stage 1 and Stage 2. You will see time improvements in every metric and improved, crispier shifting, as well as creature comforts like virtual gears eliminated and no creep. We have very positive feedback on the PDK2 tune and we are the first to have it to market. It's a proven tune that has been out for some time.

-Charles@M
Conceptually… wouldn’t the virtual gears create more wear on the clutches and transmission/drive components? I’m not sure I understand their benefit either for performance or gas mileage (presumably Porsche’s objective)?

I have a stock PDK in my 981 GTS (stage 2 tune on ECU). Shifts are crisp and I feel better matched to performance driving than my TTS (clutch slow to engage at times…kinda like it’s being “feathered”… odd shift points even in sport mode). Does the PDK for the 981 have virtual gears? Trying to understand why I like the 981 PDK more than the 992 TTS.

cheers,
L76
Old 04-23-2024, 10:54 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by L76
Conceptually… wouldn’t the virtual gears create more wear on the clutches and transmission/drive components? I’m not sure I understand their benefit either for performance or gas mileage (presumably Porsche’s objective)?

I have a stock PDK in my 981 GTS (stage 2 tune on ECU). Shifts are crisp and I feel better matched to performance driving than my TTS (clutch slow to engage at times…kinda like it’s being “feathered”… odd shift points even in sport mode). Does the PDK for the 981 have virtual gears? Trying to understand why I like the 981 PDK more than the 992 TTS.

cheers,
L76
You might benefit from a clutch relearn if you feel the shifts are soft and don’t engage firmly.

There’s been a noticeable difference since I did the relearn. The car flys toward on shifts now as the clutch grabs hard, the shifts are firm and quick.

The relearn does the shift rods as well. These pdk2 must be really sensitive to clutch and fluid wear/changes.
The following users liked this post:
piripi14 (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: M-Engineering TCU tune