Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

GT3T to TTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:53 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Book the GT3 vs Turbo S experience at PECLA or PECATL.
The following users liked this post:
SB27 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:29 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 817 Posts

I think that EV’s are a bigger existential threat to the 911 Turbo models than the GT ones
Old 04-04-2023, 05:36 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Book the GT3 vs Turbo S experience at PECLA or PECATL.
I did this and the Turbo S surprised me more than the GT3 as far as its track capability.......and the Turbo S is like being pulled effortlessly and endlessly fast and the GT3 s like being shoved hard from the back.....
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
chance6 (04-04-2023), eclou (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:15 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You should keep the GT3 and not trade to TTS. Its a very underwhelming car in the sound and drive department unless you are pushing it. I have a GT3RS and a 2023 TTS and I am selling my TTS. Of all the cars I have ever bought in my entire life, the one I have decided to sell quickest is TTS. Its an extremely fast car and has that party trick (launch control). Everyone should experience that but its not a car thats eventful. If you are cash rich and looking for a truly daily driver car, then get the TTS. It will do that so well. But if your sports cars are weekend/fun/toy cars (it is the case for me), this is a really different car.

On a side note, the 992 engine sounds like ****. GT3 is an exception (but even 992 GT3 engine doesnt sound as metallic/raw as the 991). The turbo chargers really kill the sound and you can absolutely tell from sound symphoser that fake engine noise is coming. I drove a 991.1 GTS recently and what a different car that is.

The N/A engines sound totally different. I think it’s just the way flat six engine is when you turbo charge it the sound is crap. It’snot the case (as bad) in V8s.
i disageee with this 100 percent

I own a 2022 gt3t and a 2023 tts with spasm and they are both great cars in their own right. On the street I feel the turbo is the better car for my purposes… also with sport exhaust it sounds good…. With Downpipes even better. Also the turbo pins u back at any speed .. it’s just a fast car period. the 992 gt3t is a harsh, darty but amazing car.

The following 3 users liked this post by speedyj:
Carcam (04-05-2023), eclou (04-04-2023), MaxLTV (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:39 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj

I own a 2022 gt3t and a 2023 tts with spasm and they are both great cars in their own right. On the street I feel the turbo is the better car for my purposes… also with sport exhaust it sounds good…. With Downpipes even better. Also the turbo pins u back at any speed .. it’s just a fast car period. the 992 gt3t is a harsh, darty but amazing car.
Right so I highlighted the part in your post that we should focus on. Your purposes and mine and the OPs might be all different. So better for one person doesnt necessarily mean better for another person. Some people drive these cars as daily drivers around town on a regular basis. I dont do this. I drive them for fun. Every one of my drives is usually to a specific driving location. I dont drive my GT3RS to go to the mall or pick up milk from whole foods. If I had a Mclaren 720S or Aventedor SVJ, I would use them the same way. I made a mistake buying the car because clearly for my purposesit is not the right car.

Some people are also into lots of torque and power. I came to the realization now after owning a ZR1 and the TTS, I am not in that camp. GT3 is plenty fast... PLENTY in fact for how I use the car. TTS is too fast. If you want to "hear" the car rev, you are going too fast. I had a similar issue when I bought a M5 (and I had two of them) and I had buyer's remorse for 40,000 miles and never liked that car. I know people who love M5s.

I actually measured with a db meter that my Cayenne GTS is 2-4 db louder below 3000 rpm than the TTS lightweight package. This is a reading I took from the same location (phone placed by the armrest area facing the mic facing to the back of the car). The car absolutely needs an exhaust if you want to enjoy it. The problem is I dont know of anyone with a 2023 and downpipes without a tune and no CEL. Every vendor I spoke to says the same thing (that they cannot guarantee etc etc).
Old 04-04-2023, 10:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,326 Likes on 2,460 Posts

I just got a 992 TTS today. Amazing car. Not just fast and capable, it's also a lot of FUN on the road, not boring at all. A proper drivers car.

I have a 991.1 GT3 and don't find it to be fun on the road. It has the demeanor of a race car and wants to be driven near the limit on the track. On the road, it lacks torque, is on the stiff side, and is too loud (draws too much attention).
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
chance6 (04-04-2023), eclou (04-05-2023), heshalosny (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 10:28 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Right so I highlighted the part in your post that we should focus on. Your purposes and mine and the OPs might be all different. So better for one person doesnt necessarily mean better for another person. Some people drive these cars as daily drivers around town on a regular basis. I dont do this. I drive them for fun. Every one of my drives is usually to a specific driving location. I dont drive my GT3RS to go to the mall or pick up milk from whole foods. If I had a Mclaren 720S or Aventedor SVJ, I would use them the same way. I made a mistake buying the car because clearly for my purposesit is not the right car.

Some people are also into lots of torque and power. I came to the realization now after owning a ZR1 and the TTS, I am not in that camp. GT3 is plenty fast... PLENTY in fact for how I use the car. TTS is too fast. If you want to "hear" the car rev, you are going too fast. I had a similar issue when I bought a M5 (and I had two of them) and I had buyer's remorse for 40,000 miles and never liked that car. I know people who love M5s.

I actually measured with a db meter that my Cayenne GTS is 2-4 db louder below 3000 rpm than the TTS lightweight package. This is a reading I took from the same location (phone placed by the armrest area facing the mic facing to the back of the car). The car absolutely needs an exhaust if you want to enjoy it. The problem is I dont know of anyone with a 2023 and downpipes without a tune and no CEL. Every vendor I spoke to says the same thing (that they cannot guarantee etc etc).

alternatively if u want to feel any sort of speed in the gt3 or it’s cornering prowess you are going much too fast for the road. The gt3 shines on the track or doing serious speed on the road. 346 ft lb of torque isn’t much ….
Carcam (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

alternatively if u want to feel any sort of speed in the gt3 or it’s cornering prowess you are going much too fast for the road. The gt3 shines on the track or doing serious speed on the road. 346 ft lb of torque isn’t much ….
This. GT3 lacks torque until revs are really high, and even then the torque is modest, and the aero does almost nothing on the road.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:39 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I just got a 992 TTS today. Amazing car. Not just fast and capable, it's also a lot of FUN on the road, not boring at all. A proper drivers car.

I have a 991.1 GT3 and don't find it to be fun on the road. It has the demeanor of a race car and wants to be driven near the limit on the track. On the road, it lacks torque, is on the stiff side, and is too loud (draws too much attention).
You’re in the honeymoon period - you may change your mind in time.

That said, you may end up still preferring the TTS in the end. No one said it’s a bad car.

For me the responsiveness of the GT3 and the manual transmission and the more analog feel win the day.

My 993 is slow as sh*t but I prefer it to the TTS, so take that for what it’s worth. For me, it’s more about feel then thrust.
Tupper (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:55 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

One thing he mentioned is the 991.1 GTS with the 3.8 430 hp engine. I had one for 3 years. It was just barely fast enough but let me tell you, winding that car out was one of the sweetest sounding engines I've ever experienced. Yes my 991.2 GT3 was better, but they both had unique (and fantastic) sounding engines.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:59 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

You bit the bullet! Congratulations!
Manifold (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:08 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 221 Posts

rennlist circular reference threads must be 99% of pageviews
MaxLTV (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
You’re in the honeymoon period - you may change your mind in time.

That said, you may end up still preferring the TTS in the end. No one said it’s a bad car.

For me the responsiveness of the GT3 and the manual transmission and the more analog feel win the day.

My 993 is slow as sh*t but I prefer it to the TTS, so take that for what it’s worth. For me, it’s more about feel then thrust.
I get what you're saying.

On the track, near the limit, I want the car to clearly communicate what it's doing, and I want it to do what I ask it to do without getting flustered. When that virtuous cycle happens, I find flow and have fun. And when this is all happening at higher g-forces and speeds, it's generally more fun.

I aim for the same experience on the road, except that I'm usually at 7/10ths max in braking, corners, and throttle, though sometimes at full throttle where sight distance makes it safe to do so, and much slower when sight distance is limited. Top speed is limited on the road, but there's no 'acceleration limit' and acceleration at lower road speeds is generally stronger than at higher track speeds.

From this standpoint, I think the TTS checks all the boxes on the road, and is therefore a very fun car. I don't see myself getting bored with that, just as I'm not bored with the 991.2 TTS I've put about a thousand miles on.

But at the same time, other cars that have less power can certainly also be a lot of fun if they have good driving dynamics, like your 993 and my 997.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:18 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I get what you're saying.

On the track, near the limit, I want the car to clearly communicate what it's doing, and I want it to do what I ask it to do without getting flustered. When that virtuous cycle happens, I find flow and have fun. And when this is all happening at higher g-forces and speeds, it's generally more fun.

I aim for the same experience on the road, except that I'm usually at 7/10ths max in braking, corners, and throttle, though sometimes at full throttle where sight distance makes it safe to do so, and much slower when sight distance is limited. Top speed is limited on the road, but there's no 'acceleration limit' and acceleration at lower road speeds is generally stronger than at higher track speeds.

From this standpoint, I think the TTS checks all the boxes on the road, and is therefore a very fun car. I don't see myself getting bored with that, just as I'm not bored with the 991.2 TTS I've put about a thousand miles on.

But at the same time, other cars that have less power can certainly also be a lot of fun if they have good driving dynamics, like your 993 and my 997.
Have fun with your new car. I really did enjoy my TTS in the time I owned it.
Manifold (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:19 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I've owned and enjoyed both. Presently I'm quite happy with the 992 TTS. It suites me and it's purposed use on the street.

Subjective, but IMO kind of like a 3 bears analogy: 991.2 TTS too cold -> 991.2 GT3T too hot -> 992 TTS just right!!

If I had means and space, a GT3T and 992 TTS in the garage would be a sweet pairing!!

Lots of eloquent confirmation bias on display in here.... Would expect no less!

Quick Reply: GT3T to TTS