Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro Battery Maintainer Resetting

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 08:11 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro Battery Maintainer Resetting

I have a 22 tts and when I picked up the car I bought the Porsche battery maintainer with the adapter clips. I’ve been using it during the winter and feel like I may have an issue with it. I hooked it up with the clamps not directly to the battery as instructed but to the posts under the plastic cowl. I have it set to lipo mode and it will maintain the battery. Where I’m concerned is that I don’t go in the garage often. The main vehicle I use is parked outside. If I go into the garage I look at the maintainer and see it lit up with the mode light green but nothing else. If I push the mode button again to lipo it will light up the battery level meter and usually start again on the second lowest. I had a corvette maintainer on my Zr1 and never had this. It would just always monitor the battery and keep it up where it seems at some point this one is stopping. I don’t want this battery to go dead and that’s why I have this. I also don’t want to babysit it either which I thought was the point of this tool. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this working correctly or am I missing something or even have an issue?
Old 12-18-2022, 08:59 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I have a 22 tts and when I picked up the car I bought the Porsche battery maintainer with the adapter clips. I’ve been using it during the winter and feel like I may have an issue with it. I hooked it up with the clamps not directly to the battery as instructed but to the posts under the plastic cowl. I have it set to lipo mode and it will maintain the battery. Where I’m concerned is that I don’t go in the garage often. The main vehicle I use is parked outside. If I go into the garage I look at the maintainer and see it lit up with the mode light green but nothing else. If I push the mode button again to lipo it will light up the battery level meter and usually start again on the second lowest. I had a corvette maintainer on my Zr1 and never had this. It would just always monitor the battery and keep it up where it seems at some point this one is stopping. I don’t want this battery to go dead and that’s why I have this. I also don’t want to babysit it either which I thought was the point of this tool. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this working correctly or am I missing something or even have an issue?
My ZR1's I plug in the rear socket under the hatch, , my 992's because of the lithium battery charging issues I have that wired direct with a CTEK lithium charger and that has a row of yellow and green lights and a green on light, but my Corvette charger that came with the car as an option I believe only has two green lights when the battery is to charge, they are at my overflow garage and I'll look next time there. I'm not sure if my CTEK charger goes into sleep mode and shuts the row of lights off, it's only been pluggged in after the snow on Friday
The following users liked this post:
Doug9146 (08-10-2023)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:52 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same exact issue with a hard wired Porsche Charge-o-mat on my 22TTS. Went to the CTEK lithium, no issues.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:09 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Originally Posted by mander
I had the same exact issue with a hard wired Porsche Charge-o-mat on my 22TTS. Went to the CTEK lithium, no issues.
Ok, so it sounds like for some reason this may be normal. Very annoying that it works that way. Kind of defeats the purpose but thank you for letting me know. I may have to get a ctek one then.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:28 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Can confirm. I could never get the Porsche charger to stay on. I went with the CTEK Lithium, too. You still have to follow a sequence if you aren’t using direct-to-the-battery leads (turn car accessory power on, plug charger into the footwell and the wall, and then leave the accessory power on for a few minutes) or even the CTEK will stop charging. I think the car needs time to sense the charging voltage or it shuts off the 12v socket.
porscheprestige (01-02-2023)
Old 12-27-2022, 05:38 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 162 Posts

Just get CTEK. I went CTEK route and expect delivery any day now. The Porsche charger is not consistently charging and too much headache back and forth resetting the unit in sub zero temps.
The Porsche charger was 100% reliable with my old 991 but even when it worked on 992 it was always inconsistent. I held out too long and should have changed to CTEK months back.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:37 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Engro
Just get CTEK. I went CTEK route and expect delivery any day now. The Porsche charger is not consistently charging and too much headache back and forth resetting the unit in sub zero temps.
The Porsche charger was 100% reliable with my old 991 but even when it worked on 992 it was always inconsistent. I held out too long and should have changed to CTEK months back.
Yeah, I will probably end up doing that. Just kind of twisted that I bought the "porsche" one which is more than the ctek and it doesn't consistently work the way it should so I'm just out that. Its not the $250 but I hate having to double spend or do something twice. Id rather pay more up front and have no issues.
porscheprestige (01-02-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:33 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

I experienced the same issue with my Porsche trickle charger. (Mine is hard wired to the battery) It charged for the first 30 minutes then turned off. I had my first trickle charger replaced by Porsche, but the new one is doing the same. When I asked at the Porsche dealer again, one of their technical people told be that's the way they are - but what he meant was that even though it appears off, its charging. I found that weird since I have the exact same charger (more or less) from Mercedes and it stays on all the time. Based on these posts, it looks like the Porsche tech was wrong and they do stop charging after a short while. I guess it's time to discard the Porsche charger and get the C-Tek. Can someone please post a link to the exact C-Tek unit to purchase and any accessories if applicable. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:57 PM
mjf6175
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Amir1
I experienced the same issue with my Porsche trickle charger. (Mine is hard wired to the battery) It charged for the first 30 minutes then turned off. I had my first trickle charger replaced by Porsche, but the new one is doing the same. When I asked at the Porsche dealer again, one of their technical people told be that's the way they are - but what he meant was that even though it appears off, its charging. I found that weird since I have the exact same charger (more or less) from Mercedes and it stays on all the time. Based on these posts, it looks like the Porsche tech was wrong and they do stop charging after a short while. I guess it's time to discard the Porsche charger and get the C-Tek. Can someone please post a link to the exact C-Tek unit to purchase and any accessories if applicable. Thanks.
First link is the charger I use and the second link below is the adapter so you can plug into the female outlet in the passenger foot well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6UM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LA5O8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LA5O8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picture of CTEK charger in the link above and currently connected to my 2022 TTS

Amazing how such a small detail such as keeping the battery charged is so convoluted by the temperamental behavior of our Porsche's and the battery tender. I ended up reading more than several threads on here about this. By luck I found an answer that works for me:
1) I use the charging port that is in the passenger footwell, its located on the side of the console all the way forward.
2) I bought the CTEK LITHIUM US model as well as the pigtail adapter that allows you to plug into the "cigarette lighter" female plug that is in the footwell
3) Now here comes the "dance" you need to do so that the charger goes on and stays on;
-With the car OFF and charger NOT plugged in yet, go ahead and plug the charger into the port in the passenger footwell
-Turn the ignition ON (not starting engine)
-Plug the charger into your home electrical outlet
-Check to make sure charger lights up
-Turn ignition off
-Close all doors and LOCK THE TTS WITH YOUR FOB

The first time I tried charging I didn't lock the car and the footwell port timed out. Locking it solved it and was mentioned in one of the threads

Last edited by mjf6175; 12-30-2022 at 01:18 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by mjf6175:
AtTheGlen (01-16-2023), Carcam (12-30-2022), daveo4porsche (01-05-2023), eclou (01-05-2023), porscheprestige (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 09:14 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mjf6175
First link is the charger I use and the second link below is the adapter so you can plug into the female outlet in the passenger foot well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing how such a small detail such as keeping the battery charged is so convoluted by the temperamental behavior of our Porsche's and the battery tender. I ended up reading more than several threads on here about this. By luck I found an answer that works for me:
1) I use the charging port that is in the passenger footwell, its located on the side of the console all the way forward.
2) I bought the CTEK LITHIUM US model as well as the pigtail adapter that allows you to plug into the "cigarette lighter" female plug that is in the footwell
3) Now here comes the "dance" you need to do so that the charger goes on and stays on;
-With the car OFF and charger NOT plugged in yet, go ahead and plug the charger into the port in the passenger footwell
-Turn ignition off

The first time I tried charging I didn't lock the car and the footwell port timed out. Locking it solved it and was mentioned in one of the threads
Yes, pretty crazy in 2022 we have to do this... ! Unfortunately
Old 01-03-2023, 10:57 AM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

I just switched from the Porsche Charger to the CTEK and verified it stays on (continues to charge as needed) permanently. I hard wired mine to the battery since I found the procedure to use the cigarette lighter receptacle in the front passenger footwell to be annoying and unreliable.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Kxy086
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some luck with the porsche charger! I selected the UVP by holding the mode button for 10 second. It has been on without any issue.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:29 AM
macallien
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

can you expand? UVP?
Old 01-05-2023, 10:28 AM
Kxy086
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Press and hold the mode button for 10 seconds, then the battery indicator light will turn green. I just follow the step it mention above, and it works half of the time. I am still trying to figure it out. Hopefully you will have better luck then I do.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:21 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by mjf6175

Picture of CTEK charger in the link above and currently connected to my 2022 TTS

-Turn ignition off

thanks for this post - it was very helpful! I've ordered my setup for my wife's 2022 911 TurboS Cab…
mjf6175 (01-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro Battery Maintainer Resetting