Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Terrible experience with Vivid Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 12:23 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Terrible experience with Vivid Racing

I just wanted to share with everyone the not so pleasant experience I’ve had with Vivd Racing and one of their products. I recently purchased one of their 992 steering wheels and the installation process has been a nightmare to deal with. I track my car frequently so l added the led rev counter feature that Vivid offers on the steering wheel. Turns out the shop that I use for all of my aftermarket goodies has had no luck in getting the led light bar to power up while maintaining the factory heated wheel function. Now since Vivid has been unable to tell the install shop how to properly connect their product my only option is to have the shop disable the heated wheel function and connect the rev counter power to the fuse that powers the heating function. Also the only installation instructions vivid has been able to share with the install shop were for their 991.2 model steering wheel. The power source that is unused in the 991.2 wheel instructions is used by something else in the 992 steering wheel and without the wiring diagram my install shop is unable to just guess where to connect the power source. So instead of having the rev counter power on when the car is turned on I will need to push the heated wheel button this rendering that feature unusable. I have confirmed with Vivid that my car is the first customer car to have their 992 steering wheel with the led rev counter bar option installed. After a few weeks of back and forth between the techs at Vivid and the tech at my install shop I received an email from my contact at Vivid stating that I should contact my Porsche service advisor and let them know about the power source issue. I told them that their job before bringing this wheel to market with these options was their job to do the r&d to make sure it can be connected properly without having to disable other functions on the car. The install shop has about 9-10 houses of labor accrued so I am no longer able to just tell them to put my stock wheel back on and try to get a refund from vivid for their product that doesn’t work as advertised. Sorry for the long post it’s been quite the complicated process when it really should’ve taken them about an hour or two to install and power up properly. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? One thing is for certain and that is I will never buy one of their products for any of my cars in the future. Cheers.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

sounds like they just shipped it from Alibaba lol
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 04:23 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

9 Hours of labor for a steering wheel, woof.

Thanks for saving someone the agony. Your sacrifice is appreciated.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:14 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

Had the wheel pulled when my shop installed the DB Carbon wheel insert and CF drive mode switch, to take the wheel off it's minutes. Sounds like they sold you a 991 unit that does not work on the 992's, and sounds like they never tested it and assumed it would work on the 992's, which most items do not. I fight these problems all the time, it's what happens when your first, we all want to be first, but many times these is a price to pay, oh I know. In their defense they did build me a FANTASTIC twin turbo 458 many years ago

Last edited by hcvone; 11-29-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Had the wheel pulled when my shop installed the DB Carbon wheel insert and CF drive mode switch, to take the wheel off it's minutes. Sounds like they sold you a 991 unit that does not work on the 992's, and sounds like they never tested it and assumed it would work on the 992's, which most items do not. I fight these problems all the time, it's what happens when your first, we all want to be first, but many times these is a price to pay, oh I know. In their defense they did build me a FANTASTIC twin turbo 458 many years ago
This is the truth. Been there, done that. If you are the first to mod a new platform - you just have to expect that there will be problems.

10 hours for a steering wheel swap is absolutely bonkers insane. If the thing isn’t working within an hour, it’s probably never gonna work. Honestly makes me wonder about the shop.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:53 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Yah man sorry to hear about this. I think all of us early adopters have been burned like this. I’ve learned my lesson and alway await others experience modding a new platform. 9 hours is odd for a steering wheel. I would personally put it back to stock and swallow the labor loss. 992 is a complicated beast.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:19 AM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

I’ve spent tens of thousands of dollars on multiple cars with Austin at Vivid and I have to say it has been nothing short of perfect experiences. I’ve also referred numerous friends to him and all have had the same great results.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:33 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

It is listed on their site as a 992 wheel so I really hope they didn’t just sell me a wheel with the 991 internals hoping it would work with the newer model car. The install shop basically spent the time trying to do the r&d that Vivid should’ve done in the first place before selling me the wheel. At this point I don’t want to just eat the labor costs and have to go back to the stock wheel because that’s literally flushing money down the crapper. What I want is for Vivid to refund me the money that I had to pay my install shop to figure out how to get their product to function properly like they promised me it would. Luckily I will be able to use the new wheel I just won’t have the heated steering wheel function anymore that button will be used to power on the led rev counter. I trust the install shop 100% I’ve done lots of business with them my issue is with Vivid and their inability to deliver. When I called Vivid after dropping off the wheel to be installed and asked if the rev counter would just power on when the wheel was connected they said yes all the internals will allow the rev counter to power up once the wheel is installed and connected to a power source. Turns out that was just either a random guess or a flat out lie. Oh well.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:28 PM
J Crew
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mscott1987
It is listed on their site as a 992 wheel so I really hope they didn’t just sell me a wheel with the 991 internals hoping it would work with the newer model car. The install shop basically spent the time trying to do the r&d that Vivid should’ve done in the first place before selling me the wheel. At this point I don’t want to just eat the labor costs and have to go back to the stock wheel because that’s literally flushing money down the crapper. What I want is for Vivid to refund me the money that I had to pay my install shop to figure out how to get their product to function properly like they promised me it would. Luckily I will be able to use the new wheel I just won’t have the heated steering wheel function anymore that button will be used to power on the led rev counter. I trust the install shop 100% I’ve done lots of business with them my issue is with Vivid and their inability to deliver. When I called Vivid after dropping off the wheel to be installed and asked if the rev counter would just power on when the wheel was connected they said yes all the internals will allow the rev counter to power up once the wheel is installed and connected to a power source. Turns out that was just either a random guess or a flat out lie. Oh well.
Did you shop get this installed and working? Any photos after the install?
Old 12-07-2022, 12:28 PM
mscott1987
Advanced

Not quite yet. They hit another snag recently as the power source they planned to hook the led rev counter up to was a constant source which would kill the car battery in no time. We’ve decided they’re going to put a relay switch under the steering column and connect it to the constant power source which will allow me to testing the heated wheel function and allow me to turn the rev counter light on and off with the switch. I really hope this is the solution because otherwise we’re back to square one. Fingers crossed. I will post pics after I get it back from the install shop.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:46 PM
J Crew
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mscott1987
Not quite yet. They hit another snag recently as the power source they planned to hook the led rev counter up to was a constant source which would kill the car battery in no time. We’ve decided they’re going to put a relay switch under the steering column and connect it to the constant power source which will allow me to testing the heated wheel function and allow me to turn the rev counter light on and off with the switch. I really hope this is the solution because otherwise we’re back to square one. Fingers crossed. I will post pics after I get it back from the install shop.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Terrible experience with Vivid Racing