Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

What voids the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Pathy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default What voids the warranty?

So once you begin modifying a car like a 911, and it's still under warranty, what exactly constitutes voiding of the warranty according to Porsche, and what can you 'get away with' so to speak?

If you:

1.) Do the M-Engineering ECU flash / tune - will this be seen as voiding the manufacturer warranty? If so, can you "re-flash" it back to stock and will it not be detectable to Porsche?

2.) Install an aftermarket exhaust such as Fabspeed, or Kline, or any of the others, replacing the muffler, the catalytic converters, and exhaust tips.

3.) Upgrade the Turbochargers with the Pure Turbo upgrade or something similar. I'm pretty sure this one definitely voids the warranty, but I want to make sure anyway.

4.) Upgrade the Intercooler on the stock car.

Which of these voids the warranty and which doesn't, and which of these can you "get away with" and still take advantage of the warranty by reverting back to stock or something similar?
Old 09-13-2022, 05:30 PM
boredm
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh boy….
Old 09-13-2022, 07:00 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 475 Posts

Anything and everything, BUT it all depends on your dealership, some are mod friendly and some are NOT. If you have any questions ask your service people
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 07:11 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Overall wouldn't risk much more than a muffler and maybe cats before potentially having an expensive moment due to PAG doing research into a particular car if something expensive has gone boom or crunch and you're looking for them to pay for it. Tuning can be seen retroactively, but unless its a really bad tune, seems to still slip by...but turbo work, there is no way you're keeping any warranty after...
Old 09-13-2022, 11:15 PM
Markoz28
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

From what I’ve seen in history of modding cars, they will not warranty what you touched.

if you do a tune, they will still warranty AC, power seats, windows, radio, and the other little things.

if the engine comes in knocking, you are SOL.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:45 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,515 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Simple answer, anything that isn’t stock.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:50 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 638 Posts

Lots of dealers install exhausts/lower vehicles and enjoy modified cars.

Tune / Turbo / Intercooler are significant engine modifications. Having said that...it seems that the engine/drivetrain is not the weak point.

Only warranty issue for me was a a blown Bose door speaker. My buddy had a rear seat strap snap.

Perhaps you want to get some hard mileage on first...then venture down the traveled path of proven mods.

Quick Reply: What voids the warranty?