Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

LOW SPEED DRIVETRAIN NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 07:31 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

If it makes anyone feel better…I have this exact noise on my 2023 - some of you have precisely described it. I get that on my GT3T I hear mechanical sounds but a TTS I would have preferred it rattle free…but to an earlier poster, I don’t hear it in ‘Sport’ .
Old 09-03-2023, 11:58 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Anyone had their engine mounts replaced for this? Did it eliminate or reduce the noise? It's my only complaint about the vehicle (well, that and the annoying Homelink implementation).
Old 09-07-2023, 06:50 AM
INNIK
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Gosh! I have the exact same noise ('23 TTS in India). One week old, so, I took it to the dealer and they gave me weird explanations about the exhaust pipes being small, thereby inducing burbles at idle rpm till about 1500/2000 rpm. Understood they had no idea what they were talking about, because I'm convinced that it sounded like metal rattling against something. I'm going to show them the pdf attached here about the engine mounts!
The following users liked this post:
DJS12 (12-06-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Beherit
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I just picked up a 2022 Turbo S and could swear I heard rattling from the back from time to time on the way home, I am going to have to keep my eye on it.
DJS12 (12-06-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:48 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the noise yall heard similar to this guy’s video?

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...d-img_8610.mov

I heard the same noise when going slow, mild throttle from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear. 4GTS 2023
DJS12 (12-06-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:51 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
This is video of mine with a mic mounted on the rear...not sure if it sounds familiar? This an old video from height of the pandemic...just have race cats at that point.

https://youtu.be/6zlwJotrfJw
noise from around 0.03 to 0.05 ??
Old 09-18-2023, 08:40 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 118 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 Noise "The Craziest"

Originally Posted by crazyrob
I was very paranoid with my first two Caymans. I thought they were fragile. I thought Porsche was fragile.

I was very wrong. I took my 981S to 70,000 trouble free miles. Already have 6500 on my TTS since Feb.

With the above being said, these cars make all kinds of crazy noises most “normal” cars do not make.

The closest thing to what you have posted that I hear is going up my steep driveway while the car is cold before it drops a gear due to the incline - it sounds like I am lugging the engine and the turbos lol. Once we get up and
running though or it downshifts everything is awesome.

These are well-built cars. But the noises are crazy.

Wait until you get a leaf stuck in the fan (in my Caymans - not sure it can get into the 992) - it sounds like something is very wrong - a sinister ticking. Leaf out - creepy noise gone.

Or get a rock stuck in these massive rotors/pads. The tranny sounds like it is going to fall apart lol.

Long story short don’t sweat all the clicks and pings and wonky noises, etc.
Those of us that have (or in my case "owned for a while") a 991.2 GT3 can say that the "dragging of metal chains at low speeds" by the transmission (PDK) sound wins the award for the all time wackiest "normal" GT3 sound. Crazy sound. But normal.
DJS12 (12-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 10:30 AM
Gustavo-BR
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi friends,

We all have to complain not to the dealership, but directly to the manufacturer !

I sent email to : customer.relations@porsche.de

Everyone should send an email to the manufacturer to see if they can issue a recall or at least provide a solution.
DJS12 (12-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 10:31 AM
Gustavo-BR
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ideal is to listen or film in a quiet place and inside a garage or with side walls so as not to disperse the sound.

This is my 992 Turbo 20/21. This cricket noise appeared after 3100km.

Please, watch the video below.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
1.avi (6.77 MB, 55 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 05:00 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gustavo-BR
The ideal is to listen or film in a quiet place and inside a garage or with side walls so as not to disperse the sound.

This is my 992 Turbo 20/21. This cricket noise appeared after 3100km.

Please, watch the video below.
Could you please repost the clip, it’s not working for some reason. I hope you find a solution to the noise. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:05 AM
cjsql
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strong noise from drivetrain or suspension

Originally Posted by Birkinjay
Is the noise yall heard similar to this guy’s video?

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...d-img_8610.mov

I heard the same noise when going slow, mild throttle from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear. 4GTS 2023
Hi ,

i have a 06/2023 Turbo S cab and having EXACT noise + metallic rumble that sounds like heat shield .
started to have it after a few hundreds of kilometers . and its gettin worse continuously . was already 3 times at Porsche Monaco . They clearly hear it , they say its obviously not acceptable and they tried to solve following Porsche's instructions - no result so far . got a new appointment in 10 days .

- calibrated rear stearing engines
- filled up hydraulic fluid and purge the PDCC system
- disconnected the rods for the rear axle steering
- followed the instruction from Porsche regarding the engine mounts - did the test
- removed rear bumper and verified heat shields and even fixed them temporarily with tape and rubber to eliminate as a source for the noise .

ALL THIS GAVE NO RESULT

could you solve your issue ? if yes I would be very curious what it was .

trying to share what i recorded for the porsche team in order to help me solve this issue .

while standing engine makes parallel noise like an approaching helicopter ..

thanks fro any help if some one had same issues

Hello from sunny Monaco

Serge
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
disturbingenginenois.mpg (1.14 MB, 8 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_3976.MOV (24.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: zip
Archiv.zip (4.03 MB, 0 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_3976(1).mov (20.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: avi
IMG_3976(1).avi (26.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by cjsql; 11-04-2023 at 06:28 AM. Reason: additional inofs
Old 11-04-2023, 05:39 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by cjsql
Hi ,

i have a 06/2023 Turbo S cab and having EXACT noise + metallic rumble that sounds like heat shield .
started to have it after a few hundreds of kilometers . and its gettin worse continuously . was already 3 times at Porsche Monaco . They clearly hear it , they say its obviously not acceptable and they tried to solve following Porsche's instructions - no result so far . got a new appointment in 10 days .

- calibrated rear stearing engines
- filled up hydraulic fluid and purge the PDCC system
- disconnected the rods for the rear axle steering
- followed the instruction from Porsche regarding the engine mounts - did the test
- removed rear bumper and verified heat shields and even fixed them temporarily with tape and rubber to eliminate as a source for the noise .

ALL THIS GAVE NO RESULT

could you solve your issue ? if yes I would be very curious what it was .

trying to share what i recorded for the porsche team in order to help me solve this issue .

please ignore me speaking in the background

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eba...RTajgnTLtnIMpw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dbS...YDAWcZn7dHJdWQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0290...rs8hId2gNUmExQ

thanks fro any help if some one had same issues

Hello from sunny Monaco

Serge
I have been given one advice to unplug the PADM mount and try to drive with them unplugged if the noise is gone then its Padm
Old 11-04-2023, 05:41 AM
cjsql
4th Gear

Apparently this was done on my car and gave no result at all.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:00 AM
DJS12
2nd Gear

My 992 Turbo 2024 was delivered few days back. Heard the same rattling you are referring to and refused to believe Porsche would build a car that rattles in 2024. Took it back to the dealership and it is being inspected by a “technical team” for the past two days. Waiting to hear back and hope they would not come back with “this is a normal sound” diagnosis. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I am new to the porsche world so this may be normal but wanted to be sure. I have a new 992 tts and I noticed that at slow speeds when taking off from a stop there is a slight rattle noise from the rear. Its consistent and maybe repeats itself a couple of times. Rattle is a very loose term because it almost seems like it has to do with the car lugging and may be from the transmission or driveline (rear of vehicle). I'm probably not doing this description justice but before I go and make an appointment with the porsche dealer and have to leave the vehicle I thought I would check here. The best way I can possibly describe it is when exhaust rattles against something. It isn't a metallic sound though and only happens under the scenarios listed above. I can't replicate it from bumps or anything. Makes me think it may be normal. I appreciate any info!
Old 11-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS12
My 992 Turbo 2024 was delivered few days back. Heard the same rattling you are referring to and refused to believe Porsche would build a car that rattles in 2024. Took it back to the dealership and it is being inspected by a “technical team” for the past two days. Waiting to hear back and hope they would not come back with “this is a normal sound” diagnosis. Will keep you posted. Thanks
This thread is beginning to stress me out. That rattling noise is normal. It’s normal. It’s normal normal normal normal normal. It happens on every 911. Every single one of them. Your dealership should’ve manned up and just told you that.

Hasn’t anyone wondered on this thread why every single person that owns this car has the same noise? Now whether you think it’s dumb that these expensive cars have that noise is beyond the point that the noise is normal and there’s nothing that can be done about it. I believe it’s the oil pump chain or something like that. It was explained to me day one and I brushed it off.

enjoy your cars.
DJS12 (12-06-2023)

Quick Reply: LOW SPEED DRIVETRAIN NOISE