Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Do you want New Yellow Calipers? Swap for Black or Red

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:40 AM
BLACK997TURBO
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you want New Yellow Calipers? Swap for Black or Red

If you prefer Yellow Calipers, I'm picking up my new Turbo S with PCCB - Yellow calipers next week.

Would like to swap for black or red. (Black is preferred)

We each take care of removal and shipping to each other.

reply or pm if interested.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:59 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Congrats on the car! It may be easier for you to have your calipers powder coated to your desired colors. There are many experienced companies like AP racing that do those services with quick turn around
The following 3 users liked this post by eclou:
GoBlue! (01-05-2023), Overdraft (01-04-2023), wdr911 (01-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:05 PM
BLACK997TURBO
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, yes I know. Throwing this out there before I go that route.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:56 PM
Drdimes
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK997TURBO
Thanks, yes I know. Throwing this out there before I go that route.
it might legitimately be cheaper than the shipping cost and time associated with doing a swap. might even be able to ask your dealer if they can do on delivery
Old 07-14-2022, 02:22 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 181 Posts

Simple put , why would some who payed for black caliper switch to yellow
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (01-04-2023)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:05 AM
J Crew
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Simple put , why would some who payed for black caliper switch to yellow
  • They may have ordered them and after receiving the car realized that they liked yellow more
  • They may have purchased the car already spec'd out and wanted yellow from the jump but the spec was a different color
  • They may like their black calipers now but wonder what yellow would like enough to want to try them out
  • Insert any other scenario here... because people like change
@BLACK997TURBO I think it was a good idea and worth the shot to post a thread about a potential trade. You don't know until you ask, is my motto.
BLACK997TURBO (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:27 AM
Markoz28
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally If I paid the $900 for the black, Im keeping them. With that said there maybe someone out there with a change of mind and want the yellow. I'm going with yellow on my build because they look great against the color Im choosing and they are free with the car.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:59 AM
Leo_g
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it the cost of maintenance only that people do not use pccb on track or there are other reasons?
Old 01-04-2023, 03:37 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo_g
Is it the cost of maintenance only that people do not use pccb on track or there are other reasons?
mostly cost - a full set of 4 rotors (two rotors front and two rotors rear) is $25,000'ish in parts cost once the rotors come due for replacement…track use WILL wear them out…they are basically life time for any other use case…

there is then the more subjective, pedal feel, weight savings, modulation, and limited pad composition choices vs. lower cost cast iron/steel brake choices. PCCB"s super power is "thermal endurance" - however to tap into that super power requires you have a vehicle on track driving at/near the limits for longer than 30 minutes - most track day sessions and street cars are never on track for more than 30 minutes - so endurance in this case may or may not be necessary given how much you think your non-PCCB brakes can handle the load - stopping distance is 98% governed by tire grip levels not your brake rotor material (an example is the new GT3RS for which you have an allocation has substaintially lower stopping distance due to it's downforce and subsequently increased tire grip levels with both the standard cast-iron/steel & PCCB brakes) - brakes don't stop the car - tire grip stops the cars…

but yeah $25,000++++ for a brake job is a big pill to swallow for running PCCB's on the track - and the advantages are subject to debate…which will never be resolved.

factual information about the "life" of PCCB rotors with a mostly tracked 991.2 GT3 can be found in the thread at the bottom of this post - all other conversations are hearsay and opinion…few if any race teams run PCCB"s either due to standards/specifications/cost - F1 runs ceramics - but their budgets are extensive - GT3 Cupcars don't have PCCB's and they run endurance races…hmmmm - but that I'm told is mostly due to race rules - but it's unclear if people would pony the cost for the advantages if they had the choice.

PCCB's are a fantastic marketing tool and look great and do in fact have less brake dust, greater thermal endurance, and lower weight vs. cast-iron/steel brakes - but did you know _ALL_ porsche brakes pass the SAME brake fade endurance torture test? Which is 25 full stops in a row with no cool down from 80% of top speed and the brakes must past that test with no brake fade measured by deceleration g's…so the base steel brakes pass that test, and so do the PCCB's...so in my opinion it's difficult for me to see any non-Track circumstance under _ANY_ conditions in which you can overwhelm Porsche's excellent cast-iron brakes - therefore given that PCCB's one true super power is thermal endurance - when if ever will you tap into that endurance off track? And even on track I've run cast-iron and PCCB's - and it's take well over 30 minutes on track at Laguna seca before my steel brakes even show a hint of "fade" (PCCB's do better but only after 30 minutes) - I'm rarely rarely rarely on track running full pace for more than 30 minutes straight - and I'll note this is true for most other track rats with street cars as well…and most well run track groups limit session time to 30 minutes or less…

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...3-991-2-a.html

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 01-04-2023 at 03:45 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (01-04-2023), eclou (01-04-2023), mmorgan216 (01-04-2023), Pad Bender (01-05-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 07:19 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
mostly cost - a full set of 4 rotors (two rotors front and two rotors rear) is $25,000'ish in parts cost once the rotors come due for replacement…track use WILL wear them out…they are basically life time for any other use case…

there is then the more subjective, pedal feel, weight savings, modulation, and limited pad composition choices vs. lower cost cast iron/steel brake choices. PCCB"s super power is "thermal endurance" - however to tap into that super power requires you have a vehicle on track driving at/near the limits for longer than 30 minutes - most track day sessions and street cars are never on track for more than 30 minutes - so endurance in this case may or may not be necessary given how much you think your non-PCCB brakes can handle the load - stopping distance is 98% governed by tire grip levels not your brake rotor material (an example is the new GT3RS for which you have an allocation has substaintially lower stopping distance due to it's downforce and subsequently increased tire grip levels with both the standard cast-iron/steel & PCCB brakes) - brakes don't stop the car - tire grip stops the cars…

but yeah $25,000++++ for a brake job is a big pill to swallow for running PCCB's on the track - and the advantages are subject to debate…which will never be resolved.

factual information about the "life" of PCCB rotors with a mostly tracked 991.2 GT3 can be found in the thread at the bottom of this post - all other conversations are hearsay and opinion…few if any race teams run PCCB"s either due to standards/specifications/cost - F1 runs ceramics - but their budgets are extensive - GT3 Cupcars don't have PCCB's and they run endurance races…hmmmm - but that I'm told is mostly due to race rules - but it's unclear if people would pony the cost for the advantages if they had the choice.

PCCB's are a fantastic marketing tool and look great and do in fact have less brake dust, greater thermal endurance, and lower weight vs. cast-iron/steel brakes - but did you know _ALL_ porsche brakes pass the SAME brake fade endurance torture test? Which is 25 full stops in a row with no cool down from 80% of top speed and the brakes must past that test with no brake fade measured by deceleration g's…so the base steel brakes pass that test, and so do the PCCB's...so in my opinion it's difficult for me to see any non-Track circumstance under _ANY_ conditions in which you can overwhelm Porsche's excellent cast-iron brakes - therefore given that PCCB's one true super power is thermal endurance - when if ever will you tap into that endurance off track? And even on track I've run cast-iron and PCCB's - and it's take well over 30 minutes on track at Laguna seca before my steel brakes even show a hint of "fade" (PCCB's do better but only after 30 minutes) - I'm rarely rarely rarely on track running full pace for more than 30 minutes straight - and I'll note this is true for most other track rats with street cars as well…and most well run track groups limit session time to 30 minutes or less…

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...3-991-2-a.html

Excellent post.
daveo4porsche (01-04-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 01:57 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK997TURBO
If you prefer Yellow Calipers, I'm picking up my new Turbo S with PCCB - Yellow calipers next week.

Would like to swap for black or red. (Black is preferred)

We each take care of removal and shipping to each other.

reply or pm if interested.

I have black calipers, but I live in Canada LOL
Old 01-05-2023, 08:50 AM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

Red isn’t even an option for pccb’s, so basically you are just asking for a black swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILL_SMO_Q:
daveo4porsche (01-05-2023), GoBlue! (01-05-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 10:30 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

The next time you read a thread about why Porsche charges $900 for black over Yellow, direct them to this thread. The cost for the OP to remove all 4 calipers, disassemble them, get them powder coated, new Porsche logo applied, reassembled and then reinstalled, will certainly cost more in labor than $900. This is a pain in the *** job. Wheels off, put in storage, car on lift, etc..

You're not going to find anyone to do the swap. Even if someone wanted Yellow it would be easier, faster and cheaper to just have them powder coated locally.

Bite the bullet, get them powder coated and call it a day. BTW, even if you have them powder coated, the sticker will indicate Yellow and not custom black, so you wont recoup any of the cost of doing the mod. Not that you care or that it matters, just saying if you paid the $900 from factory you would get it back in resale, which is another reason to do it OEM. Hindsight is always 20/20
Old 01-06-2023, 08:03 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

I bit the bullet and repainted guards red to arena red to match the bordeaux interior. Much more interesting than black IMHO.

Did it through the dealer at cost of 2k. Disassemble, repaint, stickers, reassemble, new fluids and retained warranty.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 01-06-2023 at 08:08 PM.
MovingChicane (03-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Do you want New Yellow Calipers? Swap for Black or Red