Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Sports exhaust vs normal exhaust - can we revisit this again for new comers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 02:28 PM
robininni
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sports exhaust vs normal exhaust - can we revisit this again for new comers?

How much better does the Sports exhaust sound? Does it do anything else for the car? Is it worth $3500? Pros and cons? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:16 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine has Sports Exhaust. I chose it for the look. From what i've seen, almost all TT/TTS were ordered with the sports exhaust. I've only seen one (maybe two) TTS with regular 4-pipe exhaust. I like the sound of mine but not sure if the regular exhaust sounds any different or worse. Since the sport exhaust appears to be the new look (the new norm) it might be harder to resell the car without the sports exhaust???
Old 07-01-2022, 04:39 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 117 Posts
Default If you want stealth and a bit of rumble...

Originally Posted by Amir1
Mine has Sports Exhaust. I chose it for the look. From what i've seen, almost all TT/TTS were ordered with the sports exhaust. I've only seen one (maybe two) TTS with regular 4-pipe exhaust. I like the sound of mine but not sure if the regular exhaust sounds any different or worse. Since the sport exhaust appears to be the new look (the new norm) it might be harder to resell the car without the sports exhaust???
I like the OEM Sport Exhaust. Really glad I ordered it.

In normal mode, it's stealthy. Very quiet.

Noticeably louder in SPORT but not "look at me" or "rice rocket" loud. I tried the full GMG exhaust for a week and it was just incredibly loud. Did it sound great? Of course it did. GMG makes great products. But so did my Supercharged Suburban with a Corsa exhaust (drone monster....put in Walker Quietflow for Chevy's -- problem solved).

The problem was the GMG system was just too loud for my daily use. So I went back to stock.

In Sport OEM mode, you pick up some nice rumbles that are fun without being annoying. I really like it. Others will find it lacking.

Here's the rub though -- if GMG or someone else could create a center delete (like they did on my .2 GT3) where I could use Normal mode for full stealth and Sport mode for "Holy Bleep" mode, I would do it. I would buy it in heartbeat.

In normal mode, many of these exhausts are still just really loud. And I couldn't have that for my particular application. I understand there is a valve issue in play here (harder to trick the valves, etc) but WOW is there a market opportunity for someone that cracks the code there. Even if Normal mode becomes as loud as Sport OEM mode and the then REVISED SPORT MODE is "holy hell loud mode" -- I would buy that. And pay a lot. I just need a quieter mode for around the town driving.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking and it's impossible. Don't know.

Last edited by SB27; 07-01-2022 at 04:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB27:
Carcam (07-17-2022), crazyrob (07-03-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 05:31 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

the stock and PSE exhaust is basically the same. Don't let Porsche fool you on the matter. You can even get the valves to open on demand with the stock unit (custom programming by your friendly dealer).
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-possible.html
Old 07-01-2022, 05:46 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 492 Posts

Sport exhaust sounds a little better and looks a little better IMO, I replaced the stock exhaust with Kline headers, catless and Kline exhaust, my car was ordered with the sport exhaust, in normal mode exhaust valves closed my car is slightly louder than stock, zero drone, in sport mode and sport plus it sounds more like a V8, and half to full throttle it screams like you can not believe a 6 cylinder could make that noise. The standard exhaust much like the 991 exhaust I had and modded on several 991's, unless you add valves you have no control of exhaust noise
The following users liked this post:
wotaskd (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 08:29 PM
ER911S
Pro

Not correct as the standard unit has the same valves as the sports option. And for an hour of labor at the dealer you will get the same control as the sport exhaust.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:49 PM
carhillclimb
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or for those of us who like our speed silent - can the sport exhaust be made to be as quiet as the non-sport? My casual testing says that both modes of the sport exhaust are louder than the non-sport, but I would like to hear other test results.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:16 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,355 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
the stock and PSE exhaust is basically the same. Don't let Porsche fool you on the matter. You can even get the valves to open on demand with the stock unit (custom programming by your friendly dealer).
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-possible.html
Do you have a credible source of reference to the effect that the base and Sport exhaust have the same internals?
Old 07-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Do you have a credible source of reference to the effect that the base and Sport exhaust have the same internals?
I have seen this testimony from aftermarket developers...apparently the valve functionality can be unlocked with the non PSE. You would then control valve functioning from your touch screen.

Valved exhaust is the solution if you go aftemarket. I have JCR valved titanium and it is conference call friendly in normal/closed and just rips on throttle when opened up.

The PSE with sport cats sounds pretty descent...more turbo whistle and throatier down low. A must IMHO.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:12 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,355 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I have seen this testimony from aftermarket developers...apparently the valve functionality can be unlocked with the non PSE. You would then control valve functioning from your touch screen.

Valved exhaust is the solution if you go aftemarket. I have JCR valved titanium and it is conference call friendly in normal/closed and just rips on throttle when opened up.

The PSE with sport cats sounds pretty descent...more turbo whistle and throatier down low. A must IMHO.
From what I gather, it is evident that the valve control logic can be programmed to non-PSE equipped cars, that is not what I am questioning. However, I have not yet seen any credible confirmation that the physical exhaust system between the base and PSE is the same, only hearsay.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

The most annonying part withe PSE setup is the programming...closing from in that 2-4km range really sucks away the nice rumble while cruising.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:15 PM
carhillclimb
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The "nice rumble while cruising" is exactly what I want to avoid. Silence can be had without buying a Tesla.
The following 2 users liked this post by carhillclimb:
cptcolo0 (06-11-2024), Denny Swift (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 05:12 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

I agree...porsche made it too lame between 2-4k rpm. M-E tuning with valved titanium exhaust is glorious and controllable.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 681 Posts

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but in my GTS (PSE standard), the car is a bit too loud (borderline obnoxious) WITHOUT the PSE engaged. With PSE engaged it’s absurdly loud and the farts are far too juvenile and embarrassing sounding for my taste. Overall, the exhaust sound in standard mode is quite nice, but just a bit too loud for me. Every time I hear any loud car drive by, I just cringe and am embarrassed for the owner. One of the most appealing things about Porsche is that their styling is understated elegance and beauty. They don’t scream, “look at me!” as nearly every other car in this category does. I think a loud exhaust on a Porsche is antithetical to their ethos.

The following users liked this post:
cptcolo0 (06-11-2024)
Old 07-04-2022, 01:12 PM
ER911S
Pro

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
While I was researching the matter, a reputable vendor on this forum commented that he looked at both units and stated the only difference was one of the pipe on the PSE was slightly larger than the stock unit. I can attest that both sounded the same to me at idle and valves open (after the programming).
At the end of the day some prefer the look of one versus the other and that's what should drive what one should buy. I was just sharing you can achieve the same valve control with the stock one.

Quick Reply: Sports exhaust vs normal exhaust - can we revisit this again for new comers?