Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

2021 Turbo "Battery Low Service Necessary"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 04:32 PM
Schnell21
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2021 Turbo "Battery Low Service Necessary"

I have a 2021 Turbo with a Lithium-ion Battery. I took delivery in Jan. of 2021. Shortly after that I purchased a Griot's Battery Manager V for when it sits. I always connect it to the Battery Manager if the car sits for more than 2 or 3 days. Well in Feb of 2022 I went to take it out and got a "Battery Low Service Necessary" warning that wouldn't go away (the car started and ran fine). The dealer was perplexed and downloaded the data from the car and sent it to Porsche. Porsche told them to replace the battery. Problem solved (not so fast). Fast forward to 5/1/22. I took the car out and low and behold the warning light is on again. Again, the car starts and runs fine. Now I have another trip to the dealer scheduled. It's getting very annoying because every time it goes in, they run a bunch of tests and the car is in the shop for a week or more. Questions: is there a way to clear this warning light without going to the dealer? Anyone else having similar battery issues?

Old 05-04-2022, 04:52 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

I have the same car - i have not had that happen, even after it sat for more than 4 weeks without being hooked up to life support -- sorry to say i do not think you can clear the error (short of hitting the back arrow)...but someone else may know more

FYI:
i have had it go in and out of limp mode one time (hasn't done that again), and not engage 2nd gear a few times - there was a spoiler driver motor and spoiler controller that was replaced (took 3 weeks) @ or near 1500 miles -- after that, the only other things were the rear window (TTS Cab) wouldn't align properly with passenger door window (adjusted) and the passenger seat pull strap to access the rear wouldn't allow it to be pulled which happens randomly (still to be looked at by the dealer)

Last edited by RD16RR; 05-04-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:21 PM
Schnell21
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RD16RR
I have the same car - i have not had that happen, even after it sat for more than 4 weeks without being hooked up to life support -- sorry to say i do not think you can clear the error (short of hitting the back arrow)...but someone else may know more

FYI:
i have had it go in and out of limp mode one time (hasn't done that again), and not engage 2nd gear a few times - there was a spoiler driver motor and spoiler controller that was replaced (took 3 weeks) @ or near 1500 miles -- after that, the only other things were the rear window (TTS Cab) wouldn't align properly with passenger door window (adjusted) and the passenger seat pull strap to access the rear wouldn't allow it to be pulled which happens randomly (still to be looked at by the dealer)
RD16RR - I also had both motor mounts fail a couple weeks after delivery, sat at the dealer for a little over a week for that one.
The following users liked this post:
RD16RR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell21
I have a 2021 Turbo with a Lithium-ion Battery. I took delivery in Jan. of 2021. Shortly after that I purchased a Griot's Battery Manager V for when it sits. I always connect it to the Battery Manager if the car sits for more than 2 or 3 days. Well in Feb of 2022 I went to take it out and got a "Battery Low Service Necessary" warning that wouldn't go away (the car started and ran fine). The dealer was perplexed and downloaded the data from the car and sent it to Porsche. Porsche told them to replace the battery. Problem solved (not so fast). Fast forward to 5/1/22. I took the car out and low and behold the warning light is on again. Again, the car starts and runs fine. Now I have another trip to the dealer scheduled. It's getting very annoying because every time it goes in, they run a bunch of tests and the car is in the shop for a week or more. Questions: is there a way to clear this warning light without going to the dealer? Anyone else having similar battery issues?
How often do you drive the Turbo S? How many days per week?
Old 05-04-2022, 08:08 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

No problems so far, if I am not driving it for a few weeks I will plug it in
Old 05-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Schnell21
7th Gear

Update on the Battery issue: Had the car at the dealer for a week. Porsche had them run a multitude of tests and couldn't find the cause. They even had me bring my battery charger in so they could connect it and see what is happening. They suspect an issue with a sensor in the Lithium-ion Battery. Porsche decided to send another battery. (Should be in next week). The interesting thing in all this is: The new battery coming in has a new part # which usually means that some kind of change was made to that part. I sure hope that whatever changed in the battery fixes the issue. I'll let you know. PS: batteries seem to be hard to get right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnell21:
hcvone (05-26-2022), Steve 96C4S (08-19-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 04:42 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,036 Likes on 585 Posts

Update on the Battery issue: Had the car at the dealer for a week. Porsche had them run a multitude of tests and couldn't find the cause. They even had me bring my battery charger in so they could connect it and see what is happening. They suspect an issue with a sensor in the Lithium-ion Battery. Porsche decided to send another battery. (Should be in next week). The interesting thing in all this is: The new battery coming in has a new part # which usually means that some kind of change was made to that part. I sure hope that whatever changed in the battery fixes the issue. I'll let you know. PS: batteries seem to be hard to get right now.

Yes please relay what they said and if there is a change in the system required. We as an aftermarket company would like to know but more importantly there is a few other threads going about not being able to get batteries and other issues with Porsches Lithium Batteries like you are having.
Schnell21 (06-17-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:01 PM
Schnell21
7th Gear

Well, here we are 8/19/22 and I had the battery replaced again. No warning lights so far. Interesting thing is that the dealer told me they were waiting on a new battery which I assumed was a design change). The new part # (9Y0-915-107-NY) is different from the original but not a new design as I found them on the web. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Steve 96C4S (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 01:38 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

I used to plug mine in if I wasn't driving it for several days or a week, now I let it sit for as much as 3 weeks and no issues. You connected straight to the battery with your charger?
Old 08-19-2022, 05:09 PM
Schnell21
7th Gear

Yep, connected straight to the battery positive and to a body ground. Porsche thinks it is a malfunctioning sensor that is built into the battery itself.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:34 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Yep, connected straight to the battery positive and to a body ground. Porsche thinks it is a malfunctioning sensor that is built into the battery itself.
That blows, but at least it's covered
Old 08-19-2022, 06:08 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Well, here we are 8/19/22 and I had the battery replaced again. No warning lights so far. Interesting thing is that the dealer told me they were waiting on a new battery which I assumed was a design change). The new part # (9Y0-915-107-NY) is different from the original but not a new design as I found them on the web. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
A manufacturer will sometimes use or change Part Numbers for reasons that nothing to do with the part itself. One common example often used is so that the warranty rate on various product lines can be distinguished from one another that use a particular part. Another is to track suppliers when multiple suppliers of a part are used. etc., etc., etc.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Harald_NL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
A manufacturer will sometimes use or change Part Numbers for reasons that nothing to do with the part itself. One common example often used is so that the warranty rate on various product lines can be distinguished from one another that use a particular part. Another is to track suppliers when multiple suppliers of a part are used. etc., etc., etc.
Please see the document attached. I also had this warning and after enclosed instruction the warning didn’t come up anymore.

BR Harald
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10155169-9999.pdf (132.6 KB, 321 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 02:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,388 Posts

This applies to 2018/9 Cayenne, would this also apply to 992s?

siberian
Old 02-15-2024, 05:02 PM
Harald_NL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
This applies to 2018/9 Cayenne, would this also apply to 992s?

siberian
Hi Siberian,

If you have a LiFePO4 battery with a BMS then it will apply. Unfortunately, a few months later I had the same issue again and a software update from Porsche didn’t work anymore. Finally, I found a company in the Netherlands who did a reprogramming of the BMS. That worked great, message has gone.
This is really a product error of Porsche because nothing is wrong with the battery. A programming error of Porsche in BMS has to be solved but Porsche doesn’t solve it unfortunately.

BR Harald

Quick Reply: 2021 Turbo "Battery Low Service Necessary"