Old 05-01-2022, 06:50 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,498 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
clueless much?
Pray tell, what do you have for me?
Low top speeds
Poor dynamics and high curb weight, sloppy handling, read the reviews!
Straight line "one trick pony" drag races that sap driving range (oooohh impressive!)
Ridiculous one or at best 2-speed transmissions?

No, electric vehicles are best served for buses, public transport vehicles like UPS/Fed Ex and mailtrucks, and trucks/SUVs. That's where the need lies. It makes sense on a F-150 truck where dynamics don't need to be good, but not as a sports car. Right now it just doesn't work due to the issues above. Until those issues are remedied, you're up s** creek. Not to mention the materials that go into the manufacture.
The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (05-04-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 09:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Low top speeds
Straight line "one trick pony" drag races that sap driving range (oooohh impressive!)

No, electric vehicles are best served for buses, public transport vehicles like UPS/Fed Ex and mailtrucks, and trucks/SUVs. That's where the need lies. It makes sense on a F-150 truck where dynamics don't need to be good, but not as a sports car. Right now it just doesn't work due to the issues above. Until those issues are remedied, you're up s** creek. Not to mention the materials that go into the manufacture.
I'll stand by my original comment - your response tells me (and every one else) what I needed to know

Low top speeds - ok - so 163 or 155 mph is insufficient for you - that's felony speeding any where in the world except the autobaun for a street car - irrelivant - and yet faster than most ICE street cars except high end sports cars which are a fraction of automobile market…top speed of most ICE 4 door sedans is less than 130 mph…SUV's less
Poor Dynamics - ummmm - really not the feedback we're getting about the Taycan and other EV's - some yes and some no - but this is not inherant to EV's - you obviously don't like Tesla - great - not all EV's are or will be Tesla's - and there are no ICE vehicles with poor dynamics - LOL
curb weight - ummmm - yeah maybe depends on the car - the Tesla Model 3 is already with in spitting distance of other 4 door sedans in it's class (AWD Model 3 is lighter than AWD BWM sedan and has a lower CG) - so this is not universally true and is coming down as battery tech improves - so this isn't going to be the case for long…save 100 lbs of battery and the Model 3 would be lighter than most ICE sedans in it's class - the Audi eTron weighs less than my Cayenne - so hmmm ICE's aren't really light - at least the cars people are actually buying. EV's will get lighter, ICE's will continue to gain weight…
sloppy handling - umm again some cars yes, some no (Taycan) - again not an inherent characteristic of EV's - and again I think you'd have to say the same thing about 95% of the ICE vehicles being sold/driven - but again this is not a requirement of EV's - just a characteristic of "some" EV's
Straight line- again you don't like tesla - EV's have excellent accerlation this is a good thing - and it does not require it to be their only trick - but you're saying fast linear acceleration is a bad thing? I'm confused
EV's dont' need transmissions - tranmissions are NOT a good thing - they are complexity because ICE motors have such narrow power ranges - so what is your critisim of EV's that they lack mechanical complexity that causes medium and long term reliablity issues?
marterials that manufacture them - hmmmm well mostly speaking EV's are about 90% the same every other car - in fact a lot of parts from EV's are same as ICE (interiors, windows, carpets, seats, radios, etc) so they are no more or no less costly than any new vehicle in terms of impact, but the drive train is simpler and uses fewer hours and materials to make (Ford and GM exec's have negotiated with the UAW over this very issue because EV's require less effort make which translate to fewer hours and subcontractors for sub-assemblies - no tranmission for example - EV drive trains are currently more "costly" than ICE drive trains - but again this not static - cost are and will contiue to come down - what happens when an EV drive train is less costly (in any metric) than an ICE drive train - again the trend here is not in favor of the ICE - and EV drive trains are already close enough as to not matter…but they are not done yet on efficiency gains vs. ICE drive trains which do not have a lot of room for cost reduction at this point in time…again the medium and long term trend is EV will over take ICE from a resources point of view…

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...eay-story.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/04/busin...eat/index.html

Factories will need fewer workers, mainly because electric vehicles contain 30% to 40% fewer moving parts than petroleum-run vehicles.
Building a traditional powertrain is the most labor-intensive part of building a car. Building an electric car requires about 30% less labor than building a traditional gasoline powered car with its engine, fuel system, transmission and other complex parts, according to estimates from Ford (F) and other industry experts.
got it - you dont' like Tesla - but nothing you mention is inherant to EV's - it's all an attribute of some EV's that are made that you don't like - I bet we can find some ICE cars that have the exact same set problems you note…

I'll stand by my original statement.

I'm pretty confident Porsches EV 911 would not have any of the problems you mention…the Taycan has already won over a lot of people and it's about 8 year old tech now…EV's are going to get better not worse, and ICE's are really not going to get that much better…so the trend is pretty clear to anyone who's willing to take the blinders off - let's not confuse some product design decisions of certain EV manufacturers with attributes that are inherent to an EV - anyone doing that simply isn't looking at the whole picture.

I see nothing in your response that related to EV's as a trend - I see some worn out talking points about the Tesla Model S - but it's a fact the world is moving on - so while some what true - it's not universallly true that these "issues" you raise are not characteristics of all EV's - they are opinions/limitations/trade-offs of EV's made by certain manufactures - many of the same statements could be made about MOST ICE vehicles being manufactured (one trick pony - dodge hellcat anyone?)

do you have any actual critism of EV's and what they could be - or are you just grinding tired talking points about the Model S (a 13 year old design) that have been largely overcome by even Porsche's offerings and the Mission R looks very exciting - certainly not a one trick pony…

did you really mean to say - I really really don't like the Tesla Model S and thing it sucks duck eggs? Cause you might have a point. but your quote was: \

It's an absolute joke trying to show electric cars are better. They are not better in almost every phase of the game.
which imply all EV's suck, will always suck and share the same characteristics as a Tesla Model S…which I believe is not going to age well.

what are you going to say when an EV is 500 lbs lighter than equivilant ICE vehicle with more horse power and a lower center of gravity - because that _IS_ the trend - and only one componet has to get lighter - and that's the battery - which is highly modular and easily swapped in a production design with engineering support - so when battery goes from 750 kg to 320 kg…which will happen cause it's the trend - EV's will be lighter and more nimble with instant torque and more horse power than ICE and a lower center of gravity…and multiple EV motors (one in each wheel) with dynamic differential ratios controlled by software will millisecond response times that will vary the "locking ratio" and torque vectoring of the virtual differential depending on track location and power/cornering needs…and we'll see what is the most engaging sports car to drive.

none of the above is made up or fantasy - and is in pre-production testing today…so yeah - keep thinking EV's suck - that will go well for you. (and no I'm not referring to the vaporware Tesla Roadster - I've seen some stuff from actual car companies that will blow your mind as to what is possible - just a bit of time required to bring it to market).

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-01-2022 at 10:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
john tanglewood (06-08-2022), tinkll1 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 09:27 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Low top speeds

Chance6 is right again. EVs are not good sports cars.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnauto
we'll see about the Mission-R…
Old 05-01-2022, 09:57 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnauto
yeah - he's right - the 10 year old 5 passenger 5,100 lbs Tesla Model S is a terrible sports car…I agree 100%

we'll have to wait and see what is true about an EV sports car when someone gets around to making one…because to date I don't think we've see what is possible…

"In the beginning I looked around but couldn't find the car I dreamt of, so I decided to build it myself." Ferry Porsche
seems to be an opportunity for someone willing to embrace the future - because it is true today - no one is making a good EV sports car.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/p...-drive-review/

Porsche Mission R First Drive: Proof Electric GT Race Cars Won't Suck

The steering is surprisingly light; you might call it delicate, even, but it transmits a useful amount of information about the front tires' behavior. That was crucial on this day, as renowned Porsche development driver and racer, Lars Kern, told us he dictated a setup for the car with more torque from the front electric motor. This gave the Mission R understeer-biased handling, just to better the odds none of the journalists allowed to drive it would get into trouble with an edgy rear end, and it explained why we felt the front Michelin slicks sliding a few times as we got on the power. But even with the instant-on torque (something in the neighborhood of 740-plus lb-ft) generated by the motors, the pick-up behavior from the "throttle" was predictably, surprisingly linear. So much so, after only a few laps of the tight circuit we wished we could dial more mojo to the rear end and really let it rip. Put another way, the lack of a steep learning curve or any intimidating dynamic characteristics came as a welcome surprise.
\

As it is, this race car changes direction quickly without drama, puts its significant torque to the road easily, and quickly causes you to forget what type of energy source it uses.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-01-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:30 AM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 100 Posts

While not stock, it's not competing against stock cars. I enjoy a good ICE car however EVs are not too far off/already ahead in short distance track events, if we are going by way of the stopwatch. All be it with 4 doors, a weird steering wheel, and they get to sleep when traveling from point to point(joke).

Last edited by Super Stroby; 05-02-2022 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:59 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 531 Posts

IF ITS FOLLOWS MOST OF THE MODELS, THE THIRD YEAR WILL BE SIMILAR TO THE FIRST 2-3 YEARS UNTIL THE POINT 2 REFRESH WHERE POSSIBLE ENGINE UPDATES(HYBRID OPTION) AND HEADLIGHTS/TAILIGHTS REDESIGNED.....
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 07:28 PM
LiquidTx
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

New to these forums and I would appreciate some help... I have a Turbo S on order. I received my Allocation in late Sept of last year. My order was officially placed in January and my initial delivery date was said to be in April. I got the emails from Porsche that indicated my car was pending production. My dealer then called me and said because of my PTS (paint to sample selection) there would be a delay to the first part of June. Then the war in the Ukraine broke out, the boat sunk and now I am being told my new delivery date is Sept 2 (crossed fingers). In speaking with my dealer (who is great in every way) he said it would be a 2023 model. Does this sound right? And if so should I be looking into any new options or changes? Are there expected changes for the 2023 model? Or do you all think it will still be a 2022 model? Ive asked everyone at the dealer and they are saying it will be a 2023 model. I am assuming no matter what I should keep the order? I only asked because this thread made me question -- what if they increase the HP and add other things -- should I wait for the mid life increase? Will that be included in my car if they add them for 23? It's confusing for a first timer. Appreciate any assistance you all can provide. thx in advance.

I think I am going to post this thread to the main page as an original post -- rather than inside here. so please see that thread vs responding here,. thx

Last edited by LiquidTx; 05-02-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

it will most likely be a 2023 - I'm not sure there are major differences between 2022/2023 - as far as "waiting" for a refresh - well that's always an issue and quite frankly you can kick the can down the road forever once you start playiing that game. I would expect no major differences between 2022/2023 but - honestly only porsche really knows the complete set of changes.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

Whether we like it or not, electric cars appear to be the future. As it stands right now, in my opinion, electric SPORTS CARS compromise too much. While they might offer faster acceleration, the added weight reduces handling and braking distances. What makes the 911 so amazing to drive are it's handling characteristics. Yes, it accelerates fast too, (So do many other cars, especially electric ones), but where it really shines is in dynamic handling on difficult and/or challenging roads such as twisty mountain roads. While most electric cars such as Tesla Model S or 3, or the Porsche Tycan will accelerate quickly and will be very comfortable and fun in daily driving, they are not fun for spirited driving (unless fast acceleration over short distances is what you like). The challenge for any Electric Sports Car will be to keep the weight down without shortening the range too much. (more batteries add range but also add weight). For example, on the more expensive models such as the TT and TTS, Porsche might use more exotic materials such as carbon fiber to reduce weight to compensate for the added weight of the batteries. If the batteries are small and simply offer instant power in-fill, and the added overall weight is negligible or minimal, the new hybrid TT and TTS could be amazing. But if the added weight simply improves acceleration at the expense of handling, I think it will negatively change the wonderful character of the 911. While I trust Porsche to do a good job on the next TT and TTS, we'll need to see what they finally put out there. As of right now however, no electric car offers anywhere near the perfect Sports Car Balance and Feel as my TTS.
The following 4 users liked this post by Amir1:
cpbmd (05-22-2022), daveo4porsche (05-03-2022), DES GTS (05-04-2022), hcvone (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 06:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amir1
Whether we like it or not, electric cars appear to be the future. As it stands right now, in my opinion, electric SPORTS CARS compromise too much. While they might offer faster acceleration, the added weight reduces handling and braking distances. What makes the 911 so amazing to drive are it's handling characteristics. Yes, it accelerates fast too, (So do many other cars, especially electric ones), but where it really shines is in dynamic handling on difficult and/or challenging roads such as twisty mountain roads. While most electric cars such as Tesla Model S or 3, or the Porsche Tycan will accelerate quickly and will be very comfortable and fun in daily driving, they are not fun for spirited driving (unless fast acceleration over short distances is what you like). The challenge for any Electric Sports Car will be to keep the weight down without shortening the range too much. (more batteries add range but also add weight). For example, on the more expensive models such as the TT and TTS, Porsche might use more exotic materials such as carbon fiber to reduce weight to compensate for the added weight of the batteries. If the batteries are small and simply offer instant power in-fill, and the added overall weight is negligible or minimal, the new hybrid TT and TTS could be amazing. But if the added weight simply improves acceleration at the expense of handling, I think it will negatively change the wonderful character of the 911. While I trust Porsche to do a good job on the next TT and TTS, we'll need to see what they finally put out there. As of right now however, no electric car offers anywhere near the perfect Sports Car Balance and Feel as my TTS.
a well reasoned reply and I agree - although having driving the taycan on track and on the street I recommend everyone give it a try before damming it - while the weight is higher - the low CG compensates for some of that (lowest CG in porsche's entire fleet) - and instant torque off an apex is a hoot…I'm fairly confident the "extra" weight problem is a short/medium term issue - and over time (5-7 years) EV's will be lighter than their ICE counter parts given progress in battery density/packaging - it's very very likely an all EV 2028 911 could be lighter than my 2022 911 TurboS…or at least the same weight - at which point all we'll be missing is the exhaust note…everything will be equal or better - and even the weight that is there will be better distributed…I believe EV sports cars have a bright future, but agree for the moment the best EV's can do is a really really good sports sedan…the Mission-R holds promise - we'll see from there.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:49 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'll stand by my original comment - your response tells me (and every one else) what I needed to know

Low top speeds - ok - so 163 or 155 mph is insufficient for you - that's felony speeding any where in the world except the autobaun for a street car - irrelivant - and yet faster than most ICE street cars except high end sports cars which are a fraction of automobile market…top speed of most ICE 4 door sedans is less than 130 mph…SUV's less
Poor Dynamics - ummmm - really not the feedback we're getting about the Taycan and other EV's - some yes and some no - but this is not inherant to EV's - you obviously don't like Tesla - great - not all EV's are or will be Tesla's - and there are no ICE vehicles with poor dynamics - LOL
curb weight - ummmm - yeah maybe depends on the car - the Tesla Model 3 is already with in spitting distance of other 4 door sedans in it's class (AWD Model 3 is lighter than AWD BWM sedan and has a lower CG) - so this is not universally true and is coming down as battery tech improves - so this isn't going to be the case for long…save 100 lbs of battery and the Model 3 would be lighter than most ICE sedans in it's class - the Audi eTron weighs less than my Cayenne - so hmmm ICE's aren't really light - at least the cars people are actually buying. EV's will get lighter, ICE's will continue to gain weight…
sloppy handling - umm again some cars yes, some no (Taycan) - again not an inherent characteristic of EV's - and again I think you'd have to say the same thing about 95% of the ICE vehicles being sold/driven - but again this is not a requirement of EV's - just a characteristic of "some" EV's
Straight line- again you don't like tesla - EV's have excellent accerlation this is a good thing - and it does not require it to be their only trick - but you're saying fast linear acceleration is a bad thing? I'm confused
EV's dont' need transmissions - tranmissions are NOT a good thing - they are complexity because ICE motors have such narrow power ranges - so what is your critisim of EV's that they lack mechanical complexity that causes medium and long term reliablity issues?
marterials that manufacture them - hmmmm well mostly speaking EV's are about 90% the same every other car - in fact a lot of parts from EV's are same as ICE (interiors, windows, carpets, seats, radios, etc) so they are no more or no less costly than any new vehicle in terms of impact, but the drive train is simpler and uses fewer hours and materials to make (Ford and GM exec's have negotiated with the UAW over this very issue because EV's require less effort make which translate to fewer hours and subcontractors for sub-assemblies - no tranmission for example - EV drive trains are currently more "costly" than ICE drive trains - but again this not static - cost are and will contiue to come down - what happens when an EV drive train is less costly (in any metric) than an ICE drive train - again the trend here is not in favor of the ICE - and EV drive trains are already close enough as to not matter…but they are not done yet on efficiency gains vs. ICE drive trains which do not have a lot of room for cost reduction at this point in time…again the medium and long term trend is EV will over take ICE from a resources point of view…

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...eay-story.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/04/busin...eat/index.html

got it - you dont' like Tesla - but nothing you mention is inherant to EV's - it's all an attribute of some EV's that are made that you don't like - I bet we can find some ICE cars that have the exact same set problems you note…

I'll stand by my original statement.

I'm pretty confident Porsches EV 911 would not have any of the problems you mention…the Taycan has already won over a lot of people and it's about 8 year old tech now…EV's are going to get better not worse, and ICE's are really not going to get that much better…so the trend is pretty clear to anyone who's willing to take the blinders off - let's not confuse some product design decisions of certain EV manufacturers with attributes that are inherent to an EV - anyone doing that simply isn't looking at the whole picture.

I see nothing in your response that related to EV's as a trend - I see some worn out talking points about the Tesla Model S - but it's a fact the world is moving on - so while some what true - it's not universallly true that these "issues" you raise are not characteristics of all EV's - they are opinions/limitations/trade-offs of EV's made by certain manufactures - many of the same statements could be made about MOST ICE vehicles being manufactured (one trick pony - dodge hellcat anyone?)

do you have any actual critism of EV's and what they could be - or are you just grinding tired talking points about the Model S (a 13 year old design) that have been largely overcome by even Porsche's offerings and the Mission R looks very exciting - certainly not a one trick pony…

did you really mean to say - I really really don't like the Tesla Model S and thing it sucks duck eggs? Cause you might have a point. but your quote was: \

which imply all EV's suck, will always suck and share the same characteristics as a Tesla Model S…which I believe is not going to age well.

what are you going to say when an EV is 500 lbs lighter than equivilant ICE vehicle with more horse power and a lower center of gravity - because that _IS_ the trend - and only one componet has to get lighter - and that's the battery - which is highly modular and easily swapped in a production design with engineering support - so when battery goes from 750 kg to 320 kg…which will happen cause it's the trend - EV's will be lighter and more nimble with instant torque and more horse power than ICE and a lower center of gravity…and multiple EV motors (one in each wheel) with dynamic differential ratios controlled by software will millisecond response times that will vary the "locking ratio" and torque vectoring of the virtual differential depending on track location and power/cornering needs…and we'll see what is the most engaging sports car to drive.

none of the above is made up or fantasy - and is in pre-production testing today…so yeah - keep thinking EV's suck - that will go well for you. (and no I'm not referring to the vaporware Tesla Roadster - I've seen some stuff from actual car companies that will blow your mind as to what is possible - just a bit of time required to bring it to market).
I have actual criticism of EV‘s. Only a few. They would not even be a factor if governments weren’t forcing them on us. That’s a fact. No need to argue about it. Besides everything you are writing I’m pretty confident you agree with government getting forcefully involved here. By the way I like Tesla. I also like Elon musk. But his company would’ve never made it this far without government helping him. If Government wasn’t forcing this the the only company making EV’s would be Tesla. I think it’s cool to have an electric alternative so long as capitalism dictates sales and not government. The only other criticism I have for EV’s is there is no freaking way the infrastructure as well as the electrical grid is ready for every driver to own one. So if your dream is for the whole planet to have electric vehicles you had better get started building electric charging stations all over the continent. Big freaking ones also because those cars are gonna be sitting there for an hour charging before they can continue on their journey. You better get every hotel and apartment complex to get a ton of electric charging stations also. You had also better start building some more power plants to charge these things too. I suggest nuclear otherwise your dream of offsetting the carbon footprint will be made moot.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patton250:
cpbmd (05-22-2022), crazyrob (05-05-2022), Schwarz992C4S (05-16-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patton250
I have actual criticism of EV‘s. Only a few. They would not even be a factor if governments weren’t forcing them on us. That’s a fact. No need to argue about it. Besides everything you are writing I’m pretty confident you agree with government getting forcefully involved here. By the way I like Tesla. I also like Elon musk. But his company would’ve never made it this far without government helping him. If Government wasn’t forcing this the the only company making EV’s would be Tesla. I think it’s cool to have an electric alternative so long as capitalism dictates sales and not government. The only other criticism I have for EV’s is there is no freaking way the infrastructure as well as the electrical grid is ready for every driver to own one. So if your dream is for the whole planet to have electric vehicles you had better get started building electric charging stations all over the continent. Big freaking ones also because those cars are gonna be sitting there for an hour charging before they can continue on their journey. You better get every hotel and apartment complex to get a ton of electric charging stations also. You had also better start building some more power plants to charge these things too. I suggest nuclear otherwise your dream of offsetting the carbon footprint will be made moot.
the grid argument is an interesting one - but also mostly false - we have plenty of grid capacity and once your factor existing capacities being freed up from less gasoline refined you recapture some existing capacity that is being used by refineries and you can use for EV's (each gallon of gasoline uses 6 kWh of power to refine - refineries are biggest users of power on the grid in most states) - also the carbon offset even with fossil fuel based grid (not actually the trend) is a win - it frankly comes down to the fact that it's way more efficient to burn fossil fuels in a commerical power plant than 18 mpg tiny motors all sitting idle in traffice - for example it takes 32 barrels of oil to drive a Panamera 15,000 miles but only 6 barrels of oil to generate 5,000 kWh to drive a Taycan the same 15,000 miles - so even if the grid is fossil fuel based it's still less carbon than burning the gasoline - and that analysis does not include the cost to distribute the fuel which makes the win even more…

as far as charging - it's 20 minute to charge the Taycan not an hour - but most charging is done at home overnight - and saying we don't have capacity to charge an EV is not true - it's not special electricity to charge these things - it's the same 50 amp circuit require for an electric, oven, stove, or air conditioner, and if we need to improve the grid - so what - we'll need to improve the grid anyways with or with out EV's and improving the grid benefits everyone not just EV's - so telling me we need to improve the grid again does't phase me - we're not going to get away with the existing grid anyways and will need to invest…it's not like Texas or California can keep the lights on with the existing grid and that's before the EV transision

charging stations - cheaper, easier than gas stations - way less toxic - there are already thousands - more are coming not fewer - but you need fewer than gas stations because a lot of people (not all) but a lot of people can and prefer charging at home overnight while they sleep…so not quite an apples to oranges comparision - if you own a home you dont' use public charging unless you're on a road trip - hotels yeah - no - fast chargers near by - 20 minutes and you park overnight when the car is charged - I've lived with an EV for over 9 years now - people who don't own them overthink and fear the charging - it's fine honestly - and frankly 98% of the time is charged over night in my garage - you actually need less public infrastructure, not more because every home is a potential fuel station…I use public fast chargers less than 20 times a year and only when I'm away from home…and when I'm traveling 1 or 2 stops a day for 20-30 min at a public fast charger tops me off and we're good to go…but it's not like a weekly or even monthly thing - because again my daily usage is handled at home overnight - where it doesn't matter how fast it charges.

and the fact that govt is jump starting this - ok yeah - again so what - they are more efficient, don't emit carbon, can run on a variety of fuel sources, are at least 3x more efficient with the power they are given, and don't spew toxic emissions while sitting idle in traffic for 90% of there running time and require no maintenance - govt jump starts lots of useful technologies (computers anyone?), the internet, telecomm…and once battery weight comes down there will be little if any actual downsides vs. an ICE vehicle.

you also touch on the issue about nuclear - but yeah - EV's are the ultimate flex-fuel vehicles - they can run off any mechanism to generate power - from coal to fusion (if that ever happens) and everything in between - I can run my EV off a coal power plant, or purely on solar/wind/thermal/hydro - but my 911 Turbo has to burn dinosaurs…

18 gallons of gasoline = at least 108 kWh of grid power consumed to refine the gasoline - that same 108 kWh of grid power can run my Taycan 388 miles - so the grid power savings from NOT refining 18 gallons of gasoline - allow my Taycan to drive 388 miles with no change to overall grid demand.f

yeah there are problems with EV's -but ICE's have a lot of repercussions also - they are not a bed of roses we'll have to make changes - but none of this stuff was going to be static - and I'd rather invest in more grid than more oil - it leads to better outcomes…and moving our daily drivers to EV would save soooo much stuff - we might all get to keep our GT3's…even keeping the grid 100% fossil fuel based EV's are an emissions win because power plants + grid are way way way more efficient than individual ICE engines - but 100% fossil fuel based grids are _NOT_ the trend, and already many grids have a very very high mix of renewables and low or zero emission technology - you keep you EV and swap your powerplant and every EV suddenly gets better…

the future is bright - the options are there - it's not that much of a stretch - and honestly very very few people who have transitioned to EV's want to go back to gas vehicles after living with an EV for a while - I honestly can not see what people really really don't like about them - they are way way way better to drive to than 98% of the crap that most people are saddled with…most ICE vehicles truly suck - terrible engines, terrible transmissions, no acceleration, and high service costs…and spend most of their lives sitting idle spewing carcinogens that harm the environment and personal health…I'd much rather drive a Model 3/Y than most sedans or SUV's - it's not like everyone has 911's to go home to…

the grid will be fine, and if it's not then we shoudl fix it - we need to anyways - need more charging stations, fine we can do that also - none of this is actually that hard - and if we do it soon enough maybe we can convince people to let us keep our 911's because they are no longer the problem since we've moved most of the actual emissions out by solving the daily driver/commuter problems…

frankly most people don't care how their personal transportation works or is moved - and a quick, fast, easy to drive car that requires no service, is cheap to run, quiet, reliable and handled better than most cars because of the low center of gravity and is fun to drive cause it has some spunk well that's an improvement - throw in never goign to gas stations and charging at home and running cost for electricity that is at least 1/3rd the cost per-mile vs. 28 mph gasoline @ $4/gallon (fact last time I ran the numbers)…I honestly don't see what people are against…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-03-2022 at 07:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Carcam (05-05-2022), Mercuriell (06-12-2022)

Quick Reply: '23 Turbo S