Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Help Building my first Porsche (Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Jrs146
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Help Building my first Porsche (Turbo S)

Hi all,
I’m building my first Porsche and I’m really excited but I thought I’d get the opinions of more experienced people. I still have a little bit of time to modify my build and I want to get it right!

a few things to note:
- I was either going to go Chalk with red/black interior or Carmine red with Black/chalk stitch. I’m leaning towards chalk/red
- I’m not sure if I want to keep the Sport suspension. It won’t be my daily but I’d prefer the smoother ride. Please give thoughts on this. Does it impact resale to not have it on?
- If I don’t do sport suspension is the front lift necessary?
- any other suggestions for the specs? I’m at my max spend here and actually I wouldn’t mind lowering it a bit.

thanks!!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN31BLV3

Last edited by Jrs146; 03-12-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:25 PM
Rflichman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrs146
Hi all,
I’m building my first Porsche and I’m really excited but I thought I’d get the opinions of more experienced people. I still have a little bit of time to modify my build and I want to get it right!

a few things to note:
- I was either going to go Chalk with red/black interior or Carmine red with Black/chalk stitch. I’m leaning towards chalk/red
- I’m not sure if I want to keep the Sport suspension. It won’t be my daily but I’d prefer the smoother ride. Please give thoughts on this. Does it impact resale to not have it on?
- any other suggestions for the specs? I’m at my max spend here and actually I wouldn’t mind lowering it a bit.

thanks!!

I almost ordered Chalk, I found the gloss black accents with Chalk exterior very eye catching. I found the red interior with chalk exterior a bit different, I think it could grow on me though.
The most important thing to remember is that you are the only one who has to like it, so order what you like.

But since you wanted opinions, black interior with chalk stitching is sexy as hell with the chalk exterior, also black interior with chalk inserts works well too.

But what do I know, I played it safe and went with A1 Black exterior and black with chalk stitching interior.

Congrats and best of luck with you final build..

Last edited by Rflichman; 03-12-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:00 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I got front axle lift since in my area there are high curbs and parking lots on severe angles, didn't want to risk scraping. You probably don't need it.

PASM? I had no interest in it whatsoever. I don't need a lowered or stiffened ride. Most will disagree with me. I don't care about resale either, I never plan to sell this car.

Chalk is nice. Every color is nice. Get what YOU want the most. We can all give you answers and you may not agree. It's all up to you in the end. I would never, ever get red in an interior, that's just me. I love black interior with GT Silver stitching so... we're all so different.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve 96C4S:
AtTheGlen (03-18-2022), heshalosny (03-20-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:09 AM
Jrs146
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I got front axle lift since in my area there are high curbs and parking lots on severe angles, didn't want to risk scraping. You probably don't need it.

PASM? I had no interest in it whatsoever. I don't need a lowered or stiffened ride. Most will disagree with me. I don't care about resale either, I never plan to sell this car.

Chalk is nice. Every color is nice. Get what YOU want the most. We can all give you answers and you may not agree. It's all up to you in the end. I would never, ever get red in an interior, that's just me. I love black interior with GT Silver stitching so... we're all so different.

those are beautiful pics! Thanks for the feedback. I’m leaning towards taking PASM off.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:05 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi all,

a few things to note:

thanks!!

Chalk is a great color - but in my area lots of Porsche vehicles have it. I still like it, just not anywhere near what I used to - just fits too much into the general grey scale of cars today. I had 2 Carmine cars before, went with Shark Blue this time - no regrets at all. If it were me and a choice between Chalk and Carmine, no doubt Carmine.

For the other stuff - went without Sport PASM - no problems without front axle lift, you don't need either. With Sport PASM, FAL is worth a good look.
Most of the other stuff is just personal preference cosmetic items. Good luck, it is a daunting task.

Oh, and don't forget the cupholder trim in leather - this will be a painted piece in an otherwise full leather interior you have spec'd.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 03-15-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:27 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I'm honestly surprised at how many comments I get about my chalk 992 TTS with all gloss black accents (photos below). I went with the black interior with chalk stitching. Very happy with my choice.

As far as SPASM goes, I drove my car into NYC last weekend and it was perfectly fine. FWIW, my car came with Pirellis, so they may be contributing to the ride quality.

The front lift is dependent on where you live. I've had to use it a few times here in the tri state area.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. G:
CO 992 (03-16-2022), heshalosny (03-20-2022), Steve 96C4S (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 05:28 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi all,

a few things to note:

thanks!!

Sport suspension is a must for a better stance. Rides very smooth with it.
I like Chalk but I personally would do a black with chalk stitching interior. Carbon roof and mirrors for the dramatic contrast. Chalk center wing for me as well.
Front lift? Probably not but you might have to enter driveways on an angle. Speed bumps as well. I got it for insurance over a few speed bumps I frequent.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:18 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Do chalk, keep SPASM (Ive had both now on two different TTS', the SPASM is barely stiffer and absolutely provides a bit more response and slightly less roll/visually much better) and enjoy the heck out of what is probably one of the best overall sports cars ever produced. Oh, on my SPASM car, I've NEVER needed the lift...when the front spoiler is up you have a HUGE amount of clearance, so unless you've got a MAMMOTH departure angle from your home (there are definitely a few of these in Cali, so understood), you won't need it...and Im a guy who orders it on almost any car, and am installing it on a CGT AND wouldnt buy a 918 without it when I was shopping as it's that crucial. Enjoy the car!
Old 03-19-2022, 12:15 PM
Jrs146
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I'm honestly surprised at how many comments I get about my chalk 992 TTS with all gloss black accents (photos below). I went with the black interior with chalk stitching. Very happy with my choice.

As far as SPASM goes, I drove my car into NYC last weekend and it was perfectly fine. FWIW, my car came with Pirellis, so they may be contributing to the ride quality.

The front lift is dependent on where you live. I've had to use it a few times here in the tri state area.

beautiful car! I’m leaning towards chalk with red/black interior. I figure.. hey it’s a sports car. Let’s do something a little unique. And the red/black interior combo isn’t as loud as all red. I’m going to do the painted black package like yours. Looks fantastic!

Last edited by Jrs146; 03-19-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:31 PM
ekovalsky
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with chalk and the Exclusive Design interior with chalk/black. I found the pricing for the painted or high gloss black trim items excessive so only went for the window surround (high gloss black) and side skirts (painted). I'm thinking about having my detailer do full car satin PPF(Xpel Stealth or Suntek equivalent) with S-Tek carbon PPF on all other unpainted black plastic trim.

I got lucky - my car was finished after the Felicity Ace was already at sea, and before the production ceased over supply chain problems related to Ukraine. It's scheduled to be delivered end of April. I did have to remove the SportDesign package from my build as there was a stop order on it, but I had mixed feelings on it anyway so not really a big deal; I liked the looks of the front spoiler but not so much the design of the rear spoiler/wing - and that was essentially all you get for $6,150.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:33 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Reply to Your Post: Color, PASM, FAL

Hello Jrs146,

- I saw a Carmine Red Turbo S while visiting upstate NY. It is very striking and rare because TTS owners (like me) tend to go with less bold colors vs. GT3 buyers. If I were choosing between Carmine Red and Chalk, I’d probably go with Chalk based in large part on Dr. G’s photos in this thread. From my perspective, it’s a “safer” choice from the standpoints of long-term satisfaction with the car, and if it matters, resale. But this is coming from someone whose current and prior Porsches have all been a silver or gray color.

- The PASM/Sport-PASM proponents are as divided as those in the PDK/manual transmission camps. I just returned from a ride where I finally set up my individual mode - auto stop/start is automatically “off” in this mode, sport exhaust on (of course) and PDCC sport. I love a stiff ride like the 991.2 GT3 that I often drove with the suspension in “Track” mode, and through the years when I always opted the stiff suspension option. Driving the TTS on the same roads as the GT3, I actually shut off PDCC (sport) on Individual mode. I friend of mine and i did a video about my TTS and it’s posted on his SoCal Auto Focus YouTube channel here ->
. In a reply to a comment asking what I thought about PASM, I posted a detailed reply and another reply with a link to a Car & Driver TTS review (good article, BTW) where they did not like S-PASM.. My replies are to “Jason” who asked the question. The fact that people are lowering their tire pressures to compensate for the stiff ride is telling. The pressures are likely set to maintain sidewall stability when we take corners at our personal 10/10ths in this 3,600+ pound beast. S-PASM would definitely make sense if someone were building an AWD “mock” GT2 RS with lightweight glass, rear seat delete, CF buckets, etc. That’s my view. There’s more in the comments below the YouTube video at the link above.

- I recommend FAL. It was more critical with the GT3; however, given the likely complexity and expense of the front spoiler assembly, it’s nice to have the peace of mind when approaching a sharp rise, especially if the spoilers are deployed and there is no time to retract them. When turning in a car for trade-in or doing a private sale, there’s probably more to gain than lose by having FAL. It deploys very quickly so I’ve used it on the fly when surprised by a speed bump/hump or depression/swale in the road. And this car does fly. I had a 991.1 TTS and this car is so much more visceral, so much more GT.

Good luck with your final color and spec. You can’t go wrong either and any way.
The following 4 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
mashoutposse (08-08-2023), mhh (03-22-2022), NVRANUF (03-20-2022), Rocket_boy (03-21-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:34 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ekovalsky
I went with chalk and the Exclusive Design interior with chalk/black. I found the pricing for the painted or high gloss black trim items excessive so only went for the window surround (high gloss black) and side skirts (painted). I'm thinking about having my detailer do full car satin PPF(Xpel Stealth or Suntek equivalent) with S-Tek carbon PPF on all other unpainted black plastic trim.

I got lucky - my car was finished after the Felicity Ace was already at sea, and before the production ceased over supply chain problems related to Ukraine. It's scheduled to be delivered end of April. I did have to remove the SportDesign package from my build as there was a stop order on it, but I had mixed feelings on it anyway so not really a big deal; I liked the looks of the front spoiler but not so much the design of the rear spoiler/wing - and that was essentially all you get for $6,150.
The satin wraps look really good. I had it on my Ibis White R8. The only thing I will say is the rear of the car gets discolored very easily with the Satin wrap. You need to stay on top of it.

Quick Reply: Help Building my first Porsche (Turbo S)