Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

SPASM or no

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:56 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,355 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Again, I don't think it is really a matter of stiffness, just a bit more ride height and minimal sanding of a rough edge or two. Before I could drive each like most I read/viewed every bit of information available - and a quote or two from some reviews still stick out in my mind.....

(Car Enthusiast, 992 Turbo (non-S, non-SPASM) vs. (TTS with SPASM)

Also, as it was on the non-Sport chassis and it had standard PASM, we'd have liked it if the 911 Turbo made less of an event of medium-size compressions; for example, cat's eyes when changing lanes on the M4 introduced way too much of a tangible and audible series of thumps into the passenger compartment. In brief, it's no more compliant nor forgiving than the Turbo S. Which seems a trifle bizarre, given that S honorific should indicate something more in Porsche-speak than simply 'additional power here'; we thought the Turbo would be notably softer. It isn't.

And after driving them both I tended to agree. The non-SPASM suspension doesn't seem to be much if any softer compared to SPASM, but it did seem to be a touch more compliant in very limited circumstances, which I liked. This and the slightly higher ride-height just eased my fears a bit. I still have 20 or so configs stored - about a 49% to 51% split between SPASM and PASM. You can't go wrong with either.
Did the Turbo have PDCC in that review?
Old 02-12-2022, 02:49 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

I assume when people are talking about 'optional' PDCC, its on 'turbo' cars and not 'turbo s' cars, as its not an option on the TS, you just get it. I have to imagine, porsche thinks highly of this option to mandate it for the Turbo S. The argument as to why isnt it on the GT cars, given again that Porsche thinks highly of it, can be for 2 reasons, 1. its added weight on a car they are already trying to lighten, 2. if its meant to be a fully 'track only car' (which realistically may not be the majority of the owners, but they all want to PRETEND, they are Track stars), porsche didnt see enough of a difference on the track to justify it.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:43 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
No.

https://www.carenthusiast.com/review...%28992%29.html

Old 02-12-2022, 03:54 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

the review being cited actually concluded:

“In brief, [the non-S/non-SPASM/non-PDCC 992 Turbo is] no more compliant nor forgiving than the Turbo S [with SPASM&PDCC].”
Old 02-12-2022, 04:06 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
the review being cited actually concluded:

“In brief, [the non-S/non-SPASM/non-PDCC 992 Turbo is] no more compliant nor forgiving than the Turbo S [with SPASM&PDCC].”
A point to ponder: could that turbo in the review on the normal suspension without PDCC be "no more compliant nor forgiving" because it did not have PDCC?

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-12-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:24 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 654 Posts

I am SPASM and no PDCC...there is virtually no body roll and I fine the ride quality more than acceptable considering the abilities of the machine.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:19 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

A point to ponder: could that turbo in the review on the normal suspension without PDCC be "no more compliant nor forgiving" because it did not have PDCC?
that is obviously possible - the review is essentially completely subjective and does not provide objective justification for any opinions about SPASM or PDCC. In particular, it does not provide any objective support for any assessment of the performance effects of PDCC.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:24 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

?? I assume when people are talking about 'optional' PDCC, its on 'turbo' cars and not 'turbo s' cars, as its not an option on the TS, you just get it. ??
Old 02-13-2022, 07:06 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
?? I assume when people are talking about 'optional' PDCC, its on 'turbo' cars and not 'turbo s' cars, as its not an option on the TS, you just get it. ??
Correct. PDCC is standard on the turbo-S but optional on the turbo.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:28 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Sport-PASM? Or not.

Here's a link to the "Performance" section of the Porsche website. Scroll down to Chassis where you'll find a brief description of PASM, S-PASM, PDCC and other suspension elements: Porsche 911 Turbo S - Porsche USA

What I understand regarding the 992 TTS that I own (regular PASM, not Sport) is that PASM is always working (of course) and so is PDCC. The PDCC button on the right takes PDCC from a comfort to a sport setting.

This is one of the most balanced (pro/con) threads that I've read on this subject. I want a stiff suspension and I'm happy with regular PASM and the Sport PDCC setting via the console button. I understand why some people are ordering Sport-PASM especially if they might track the car, like the lowered look, etc. With the 992, you can almost build a GT2 RS (AWD version but heavier) by spec'ing lightweight package, rear seat delete, carbon fiber buckets, etc. In that case Sport-PASM would be a given.

Prior to my '21 TTS, I had a 991.2 GT3 and drove with the suspension in "Track" setting on occasion, so my first configurations were with S-PASM. Then I started to read about how some reviewers were complaining about the ride being "harsh", "jouncy/bouncy" or, as one poster said: "busier". So, I asked people I trusted at two Porsche dealerships. One, a GM and former GT4 owner (now a 992 GT3 owner) recommended against it as did an SA at another dealership. I have absolutely no regrets about not getting S-PASM. Even on good SoCal roads, the ride is appropriately stiff but not to where there are harsh rebounds, etc. I drove the GT3 and the new TTS in VA and in CA, and I think the TTS in normal PDCC mode and especially S-PDCC (pushing the button on the dash) is comparable to the ride in the GT3, which I'm thankful for. Yes, the suspension cannot dial out the 472-pound curb weight difference, but the car handles much better (and sounds a lot better) than the '15 991.1 TTS that I owned.

A couple other points. I like the stance of the car with regular PASM, not the lowered S-PASM. Personal preference. I'm more old school, I guess. Also, I'm fine running the spec tire pressures (and mine does have the tire temp bars next to the pressures - cool, hadn't noticed until someone posted about it). I'm surprised people are reducing their tire pressures to compensate for S-PASM's stiffer ride. A Porsche engineer at a pretty high pay grade likely felt that hard cornering in this 3,636-pound beast is better served with a stiff sidewall. Also, by keeping the tire pressures at the high end of the spec and the PCM tire pressure setting at the "comfort" setting, which is several PSI below, I'm less likely to get a low tire pressure warning when the pressure drops at low ambient temperatures as happened when I lived in VA where temps went from the 90s to the 40s in the fall.

I suggest doing a search on Sport-PASM, reading TT/TTS reviews (via the search) and talking with dealership personnel who are very sports-oriented and who might have contacts among owners including Porsche Club members who can provide information. Either way, the car will be great
Simon H (09-06-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 03:57 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Then I started to read about how some reviewers were complaining about the ride being "harsh", "jouncy/bouncy" or, as one poster said: "busier"...
Despite the relatively rough road conditions in New England, where I live, my experience is quite the opposite - in no way and at no time have I found the ride quality in my SPASM-equipped 992TTS to be “harsh,” “jouncy,” “bouncy,” or “busy” to any degree whatsoever - in absolute terms or when compared to my non-sport PASM 991 targa or tts (or most any other car, for that matter).
NVRANUF (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 04:45 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

If I just got these:

https://tagmotorsports.com/featured-...ra-has-springs

For lowering purposes, would I still need to get SPASM or can I bypass that option if I plan to lower it more than 20mm via the Techart springs?
Old 02-13-2022, 05:22 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default PASM adjustments on the fly

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
Despite the relatively rough road conditions in New England, where I live, my experience is quite the opposite - in no way and at no time have I found the ride quality in my SPASM-equipped 992TTS to be “harsh,” “jouncy,” “bouncy,” or “busy” to any degree whatsoever - in absolute terms or when compared to my non-sport PASM 991 targa or tts (or most any other car, for that matter).
That could be a result of PASM (Sport or not) being able to make millisecond-speed adjustments based on the road surface. I would have liked the opportunity to drive both Sport and Regular PASM because whether in a ‘70s Corvette with “off-road” suspension or the GT3 with the suspension in track/sport mode, I like a stiff suspension for ride and handling. That said, I’m satisfied with regular PASM (likely because of it’s ability to stiffen given road conditions) plus having the opportunity to select Sport-PDCC on the dash. And personally,, I like the ride height without S-PASM.

I think we’d agree that a person spec’ing a 992 should opt for the version that they are leaning toward. If it’s ride height and they don’t want to modify the suspension to lower it, they likely can’t go wrong with S-PASM, same if they want as stiff a ride as available on 992s without mods. On the other hand, if after doing research they believe Regular PASM will be best (stance and handling) then go that way. Frankly, I don’t think there is a wrong answer. It’s not like PDK vs. MT, or GT3 vs. TT/TTS - now those are big differences where the right choice really matters for an individual.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:27 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Here's a link to the "Performance" section of the Porsche website. Scroll down to Chassis where you'll find a brief description of PASM, S-PASM, PDCC and other suspension elements: Porsche 911 Turbo S - Porsche USA

What I understand regarding the 992 TTS that I own (regular PASM, not Sport) is that PASM is always working (of course) and so is PDCC. The PDCC button on the right takes PDCC from a comfort to a sport setting.

This is one of the most balanced (pro/con) threads that I've read on this subject. I want a stiff suspension and I'm happy with regular PASM and the Sport PDCC setting via the console button. I understand why some people are ordering Sport-PASM especially if they might track the car, like the lowered look, etc. With the 992, you can almost build a GT2 RS (AWD version but heavier) by spec'ing lightweight package, rear seat delete, carbon fiber buckets, etc. In that case Sport-PASM would be a given.

Prior to my '21 TTS, I had a 991.2 GT3 and drove with the suspension in "Track" setting on occasion, so my first configurations were with S-PASM. Then I started to read about how some reviewers were complaining about the ride being "harsh", "jouncy/bouncy" or, as one poster said: "busier". So, I asked people I trusted at two Porsche dealerships. One, a GM and former GT4 owner (now a 992 GT3 owner) recommended against it as did an SA at another dealership. I have absolutely no regrets about not getting S-PASM. Even on good SoCal roads, the ride is appropriately stiff but not to where there are harsh rebounds, etc. I drove the GT3 and the new TTS in VA and in CA, and I think the TTS in normal PDCC mode and especially S-PDCC (pushing the button on the dash) is comparable to the ride in the GT3, which I'm thankful for. Yes, the suspension cannot dial out the 472-pound curb weight difference, but the car handles much better (and sounds a lot better) than the '15 991.1 TTS that I owned.

A couple other points. I like the stance of the car with regular PASM, not the lowered S-PASM. Personal preference. I'm more old school, I guess. Also, I'm fine running the spec tire pressures (and mine does have the tire temp bars next to the pressures - cool, hadn't noticed until someone posted about it). I'm surprised people are reducing their tire pressures to compensate for S-PASM's stiffer ride. A Porsche engineer at a pretty high pay grade likely felt that hard cornering in this 3,636-pound beast is better served with a stiff sidewall. Also, by keeping the tire pressures at the high end of the spec and the PCM tire pressure setting at the "comfort" setting, which is several PSI below, I'm less likely to get a low tire pressure warning when the pressure drops at low ambient temperatures as happened when I lived in VA where temps went from the 90s to the 40s in the fall.

I suggest doing a search on Sport-PASM, reading TT/TTS reviews (via the search) and talking with dealership personnel who are very sports-oriented and who might have contacts among owners including Porsche Club members who can provide information. Either way, the car will be great
As an important piece of information, the button on the dash with the shock absorber and PDCC written on it affects both the PASM and PDCC. When it is activated, the PASM damping and PDCC roll stabilisation systems both shift to a sportier programming.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-13-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Without doing a back to back, it’s difficult to claim much about PDCC. Subjectively, the TTS carves harder and flatter than my C2S with less understeer.

I would recommend SPASM to anyone. It’s a subtle drop, but it looks better and it’s worth it for that alone. Dropping the TTS is not worth the headache, in my experience.
peterdouglas (02-13-2022)

Quick Reply: SPASM or no