Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:11 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Sweet. Tune or no tune?
No tune.
I put a BBI X-Pipe race exhaust on it (no mufflers or cats), along with a BMC air filter.
Im reluctant to go with an ECU flash tune, worried about reliability and resale, but thinking about adding a piggyback tune.

True confessions: I do pull both paddles in Sport, double-checking that it went to neutral, then rev it for backfires at cars & coffees . It goes into neutral while coasting too. It goes back into 1st gear by pulling the right paddle if still rolling at a few mph. Otherwise it requires stopping and pulling the right paddle with the brake on b4 going back into 1st gear.
My 991.2 has this in Sport or Sport+, as did my previous 991.2 C2S. But my 2015 Macan Turbo with its 991.1 style electronics and Sport Chrono does not go into neutral like my 991.2s.

Last edited by PCA1983; 01-17-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:22 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

BTW, you can force a PDK downshift with its rev matching while going into a turn fast, by heel & toe braking in Sport+. I never knew this until my C2S dealer S.A. at Napleton Westmont Porsche told me me at one of their Customer Appreciation Days at Autobahn Country Club in Chicagoland, when we had a Summer place up there.

Last edited by PCA1983; 01-17-2022 at 11:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PCA1983:
AtTheGlen (01-17-2022), Pad Bender (01-17-2022), rk-d (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
BTW, you can force a PDK downshift with its rev matching while going into a turn fast, by heel & toe braking in Sport+. I never knew this until my C2S dealer S.A. at Napleton Westmont Porsche told me me at one of their Customer Appreciation Days at Autobahn Country Club in Chicagoland, when we had a Summer place up there.
That is cool. Didn't know that.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:03 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

They should add another button to the dashboard. A "Cars and Coffee" Button. Make it programmable too. Thus, with a flick of a button, one can instantly activate their "Cars and Coffee Entrance and Exit" modes.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Paddle Neutral on a TTS

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Thanks for posting this. Knowing that PDK in Sport+ is pretty telepathic and that a stab on the brakes that lasts long enough to signal "I'm slowin' down!" will cause a downshift. Are you saying that you can have quicker response than what the PDK will do by stabbing the brake pedal and blipping the throttle heel-and-toe style? Do you also have to pull the left paddle or just leave it to the PDK brain?

I used paddle neutral on my 991.2 GT3 when rolling to a stop while the car was warming up to avoid the clunk-clunk downshifts to 1st. At the stop sign or traffic light, I'd release the paddles and the car would drop into 1st. While moving, if I used paddle neutral for a throttle blip going under a bridge or in a tunnel (which, of course I'll do with the TTS now that I read this). Releasing the paddles would drop the car into the correct gear depending on what the PDK brain wanted at that speed, amount of acceleration, etc.

Interesting thing with the GT3 PDK besides being very mechanical was that in first gear at a stop light, it didn't creep - probably something to do with eliminating frictional losses with something like a torque converter. This subject is about four levels above my paygrade in knowledge, but I would still love to know what was going on with the transmission not creeping in 1st in the GT3.

If anyone has made it this far in my post, I have a question. Will the "P" button drop the transmission into Park ONLY when the car is COMPLETELY stopped? I usually drive in manual mode, and I'm concerned that if I'm going into a corner in "auto" and I want manual, I can't haul the shift **** to the left - I have to hit the "M" button at speed and I dread hitting P by accident. A friend pointed out that Porsche must realize that curious kids would want to push the button just to see what happens and that, accordingly, "P" to Park is locked out except when not moving. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:17 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

You wont creep at a stop if you firmly press the brake pedal and release...guess the clutch becomes disengaged fully, just like launch control.

Its definitely takes a bit more focus switching from A to M...never hit the P, but one would expect you would need a full stop to engage. Never tried pulling the parking brake when moving either.

I find the tach climbs so damn fast, A/M is my preferred under heavy acceleration.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:48 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default PDK Clutch Release and Hill Control

You wont creep at a stop if you firmly press the brake pedal and release...guess the clutch becomes disengaged fully, just like launch control..

Its definitely takes a bit more focus switching from A to M...never hit the P, but one would expect you would need a full stop to engage. Never tried pulling the parking brake when moving either.

I find the tach climbs so damn fast, A/M is my preferred under heavy acceleration.
No creep at stop: I’ve had this happen on our Cayenne E-hybrid, which appears to have a more complex braking system - source of complaints for some, I’m fine with it - because I’ll see LEDs while braking indicating that I’m charging the hybrid battery with the number of LEDs indicating the amount of regeneration based on braking pressure. When pulling up to a parking garage wall, for example, applying the brakes with some force activates that feature that’s like hill control. But with the amount of pressure needed to defeat the braking force, the car would wind up on the other side of the wall, so that means, back up a bit and creep forward.

I’ve not tried this on the TTS yet (I also want to try paddle neutral) but on the GT3 (great car but now with the new TTS, a distant memory) the car always seemed to do what you describe, i.e., release the clutch, which I liked.

Using Auto vs. Manual: Although I like driving in manual mode, I do use Sport or Sport+ in auto for, example, if making a left turn from a stop sign onto a busy divided highway when I don’t want to miss a shift because my fingers slipped off the upshift paddle while cranking the wheel.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:37 AM
messiry
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Just got car back from dealer for recall of passenger seats and TPMS issue, which required reprogramming.

Driving on highway in Sport Plus and gave the both paddles simultaneously a quick flick...gear indicator started flashing and allowed me to free rev as the clutch was disengaged!

Doesnt work in park...usual 3500. In 1st at stop, selector will flash but...again 3500. If i double flick in 1st or 2nd after just starting movement, I could sweep to about 6000-6500 in Sport+ and around 5000 in Sport. Higher gears allow almost a 7000 rpm sweep. Works in Manual and Drive/Manual modes as well.

I swore I had tried it several times before with no effect....

Is this a new feature or an old thing that I seemingly missed? No mention of PDK reprogramming on my service sheet.
Thanks for the tip, do you have by any chance the service recall number or reference, I want to call Porsche and see if my car is under this recall.
thank you.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:07 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen

If anyone has made it this far in my post, I have a question. Will the "P" button drop the transmission into Park ONLY when the car is COMPLETELY stopped? I usually drive in manual mode, and I'm concerned that if I'm going into a corner in "auto" and I want manual, I can't haul the shift **** to the left - I have to hit the "M" button at speed and I dread hitting P by accident. A friend pointed out that Porsche must realize that curious kids would want to push the button just to see what happens and that, accordingly, "P" to Park is locked out except when not moving. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've accidentally pushed P when meaning to push M while moving.
Other than wincing and feeling dumb when realizing the error, you only receive a dash message saying something to the effect, "This function can only be done when vehicle is stopped."
AtTheGlen (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 12:45 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

just wondering....does the owners manual explain the Double Paddle Flick to allow free revs ? (i must have missed that section..i cant find it)
Old 01-19-2022, 01:12 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
just wondering....does the owners manual explain the Double Paddle Flick to allow free revs ? (i must have missed that section..i cant find it)
Not everything is in the manual
RD16RR (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 01:44 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by messiry
Thanks for the tip, do you have by any chance the service recall number or reference, I want to call Porsche and see if my car is under this recall.
thank you.
These are the two campaigns depending on your VIN - I was a Nov 2020 build.

WMJ6 - Reprogram and/or code seat control unit
WMK8 - Replace wheel electronics for the TPMS

I already had the TPMS updated in the spring due to failure to read. Updated programming also included the temperature monitoring.
messiry (01-23-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:10 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
The only thing that annoys me about the double-pull neutral is that if you are going slowly, it won't re-engage in gear unless you apply the brake. On a 991 at least...
flip back on the electric shaver and you're back in gear
Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 PM
911inator
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone tell Matt Watson!
Old 01-20-2022, 07:24 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

I like the function better on the PDK Cobb tune. Instead of flicking them once for Neutral, you hold both paddles back for neutral. As soon as you let go of one paddle the transmission engages back into gear. This eliminates the annoyance of having to touch the brakes to get it back into gear at low speeds or a stop. It almost functions like the clutch kick feature the GT cars have but it will not allow you to dump the clutch on the non GT 911's.

Quick Reply: PDK now allowing free revving!