Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

I saw that pretty crazy!
Old 12-26-2021, 10:46 PM
ONEOFNONE
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Honestly, if you need help with this question, just get the Tesla.

Get cooler friends while you're at it...

All kidding aside - the Turbo S is something that the Tesla is not and will never be. A sports car. Steering, handling and dynamic feel. Those aren't things that go on a spreadsheet. Beyond that - looks, fit/finish, reliability, ownership experience and heritage. The Turbo S is a legendary car and the 992TTS is one of the best they've ever made.

Very well said!
Old 12-26-2021, 11:58 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
So, I love the TTS, and am hoping to purchase one in the future, but I was talking with a friend of mine about this subject, and I mentioned that one of the big appeals of the TTS is just how great the speed and performance of the car is. Then he countered - if that's one of the main motivators for purchasing a 911 TTS - that you want the fastest car on the road at any given time - why don't you just buy a Tesla Model S Plaid for ~$140k, at least $70k less than a new TTS? He said that if you buy a Model S Plaid, you, without a doubt, have the fastest car on the road. I can't argue with that. I think the 911 looks better, and obviously sounds better, and might be more enjoyable to drive, but these are all objective measures. In terms of pure performance, does the Model S Plaid just win across the board, if that's the primary reason you're buying a 911 TTS? If you just want the fastest, highest performing car, is the smart move just to buy the Plaid?
You’ll be happier with the Tesla.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:52 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles7970

Maybe i can help lol… There’s no doubt both are quick. That’s where the similarities end. What you get with the 911 is superior braking, handling and quality craftsmanship. The Tesla plaid is an amazing daily commuter with camry braking and you can feel its weight in corners.. I got lucky with my build with barely any issues but you can certainly tell where they cut corners. The no gas thing is cool, but you then you blend in with every other tesla on the road and theres no “wow” factor with it. One a 4 door rocket. The other a true sports car. Best of luck
I agree. When considering a plaid Tesla S, I would be considering it to replace a Panamera more than a 992. It is apples to oranges comparing it to a performance car. Straight line the plaid is a killer... but be careful to hit a corner hard.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:30 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Lots of replies already so I won’t beat the already dead horses.
Many seem to love the new tech of the EV cars and the immediate response.
I have owned a lot of cars since starting to drive. I was never a big straight line fan even though I wanted the cars to be quick I always was more intent on how well they drove. Started with English roadsters, to Fiats and Alfa’s, then to a series of Z cars from 240 to 300, then early Bimmers and then several Pcars, in my 5th TT car. Loved many of them even though some were maintenance nightmares.
Loved driving on backroads early in the morning with a raspy exhaust, still do.
If going like a bullet in a straight line in a 4766 pound car with no aural symphony in the background and no paddle shifting is what you are into then the Plaid is your car. Stop looking now you will be the king of stoplight to stoplight races.
If you drive the 992 TT or TTS and think they are the same then get the Plaid. But if you drive the TT or TTS and can’t wipe the smile off your face then it’s an easy decision.

Last edited by Penn4S; 12-27-2021 at 04:44 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Penn4S:
Big Swole (12-27-2021), cpbmd (06-07-2022), DES GTS (12-27-2021), SB27 (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Esquiire
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is an excerpt from a very recent Car and Driver article that echoes the concerns voiced by Throttle House regarding the Plaid’s handling and braking. Car and Driver called it “terrifying” lol….

Originally Posted by Esquiire
I was also shopping the Tesla Plaid against the Turbo S. This video (below), which compares the Turbo S to the Model S plaid, was instrumental for me in making the decision. I highly recommend watching it. In it, the guys from Throttle House are fearful of the Plaid’s inability to handle its speed - even in a straight line. Watch the video and you will see the actual fear in the driver’s face.

THIS VIDEO

They go on to say (in the comment section of their own video):
“Just a note on the brakes: as we said in our track test, the Model S Plaid is underbraked. Basically what that means is that it doesn’t have the stopping power to compensate for how ridiculously fast it gets to speed. Nor does it have the thermal capacity to continue to drag its mass to a stop over and over again. When we filmed this, the brakes overheated on the SECOND stop. And from then on there was a drastic reduction in braking performance. Furthermore, braking performance comes from more than just the pads and rotors. Suspension, abs calibration and tires all come into play. We found that it lacked in most of those departments and didn’t impart confidence to the drivers. When we film these we do multiple runs and tests, to make sure we can extract the best possible performance out of the cars before we actually race. And it seemed like the Plaid we had here never recovered. The first stop is “fine” yes. (Should still be better for how quickly it gets to speed) but anything after that it didn’t have the performance necessary to give the drivers a feeling of confidence at all stopping from 250+km/h on our rather bumpy braking zone. A car with this level of straight line performance should have brakes powerful enough and consistent enough to stop it over and over again.

Not saying you need to draw the same conclusion from this video as I did. Only saying that personally this video was a key piece of information in MY decision. They do go on to say that the Tesla Plaid is fine if you treat it like a regular road car.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:12 PM
Esquiire
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Don’t have mine yet so can’t comment. On the Tesla forum most people love it while others don’t.

Car and Driver shred Tesla’s yoke because their yoke requires 2.3 turns lock to lock, causing you to turn the yoke over more than 180 degree which car and driver calls a violation of the first rule of steering yokes. They were definitely not fans. Screenshot of the car and driver article (published just a few days ago) is below….

Old 12-27-2021, 06:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Don't be a ninny. Get the Tesla.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Esquiire

That interior...

Love how 'integrated' the center screen is...
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (06-07-2022)
Old 12-27-2021, 08:15 PM
bchaincollector
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Not the Plaid

I currently own the Tesla Plaid and also a 992 Targa S with a GT3 and TTS on order. I would never purchase a plaid over any Porsche even a base 992. The power is amazing initially but it’s not really useable it’s great for shock value and it kind of stops there. If you want a true enjoyment of driving you don’t want a Plaid it will get old quick especially having driven Porsches. I also owned a Taycan Turbo and would take that all day over my Plaid. Plaids are fast and that’s all the interior is cheap, the doors feel cheap and honestly it’s a great commuter car with loads of power but nothing beyond that.
Big Swole (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:52 PM
Super8
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BuddyG (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 03:00 PM
crazyrob
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Super8
Amazing numbers, but really how often is someone trying to get to 130mph on the road? Oh wait this is a Porsche forum…scratch that remark from the record.

In all seriousness, the other tangibles - finish, braking, handling, etc. - there is no substitute and in my case not even the beginning of a debate between the two cars.

Big Swole (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 06:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Super8
Meaningless numbers to begin with, but if you're gonna go with it, I'd love to see a comparison of how those cars handle and then emergency brake from that speed. The Plaid wouldn't fare so well. But yes, putting 1,020 of HP and EV torque in brick and the brick will go fast.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:26 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 112 Posts

TTS 130 MPH - 60 MPH: Safe and under control.
TTS 130 MPH - 0 MPH: Still Safe and under control.
TTS 130 MPH - 0 MPH a 2nd time: Brakes still work. Still under control.
..... TTS 130 MPH - 0 MPH a 3rd, 4th, 5th time: Yup, as expected. Brakes still work. Still under control.

Tesla Plaid 130 MPH - 60 MPH: I hope it stops.
Tesla Paid 130 MPH - 60 MPH a 2nd time: I'm not that brave to find out.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat, capable of Mach 3.2 or 2,190mph. But in a dog fight - i'd rather be in a F15 that ONLY flies 1875 MPH. Or better yet, a raptor that flies at ONLY 1500 MPH.

Since I couldn't test drive a TTS before I ordered mine, I went to PECLA (Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles) and rented a 992 TTS for 1.5 hour session with an instructor. I performed 6 aggressive launches back to back to back with 6 aggressive emergency stops back to back to back. Zero issues or brake fade. Keep in mind, that those cars go through 3-4 drivers per day, all like me, doing the exact same thing. Porsches in general, and TTS' in particular, are built to a very different standard than a Tesla and offer a totally different driving experience than a Tesla Plaid. If fast acceleration is all one wants, go for the Tesla. If you want a true sports car that can go fast, with fantastic handling, braking, balance and reliability, TTS all day long.
Big Swole (12-28-2021)

Quick Reply: TTS or Model S Plaid?