Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Valet Parking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 05:06 PM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
How much is a "large tip?" Just planning ahead for the inevitable 2-3 times per year I have to valet. Are we talking Jackson or Benjamin here?
Prob varies by region and if one is a regular
Upscale urban regions often have guys who DD $250K+ cars and are daily regulars at certain restaurants/hotels....and self-park; keep their key; and know all the valets....and give a $10 or $20 tip as leaving
Prob need to give more if not a regular and at a place w/slots already occupied/reserved for such regulars
And a place without such regulars may have larger issues anyway...
Old 11-22-2021, 05:17 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

NO! VALET! Give a $20 tip and park it myself up front and take the keys. too many bad stories. Definitely not my Ferrari
Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

I'd avoid, unless you know the place well. Even then, I'd still avoid if possible, even though the Turbo my winter beater. A few years ago valet brought back my M3 with the engine undertray completely torn up, like when you drive over the concrete block at the end of a parking spot that's barely short enough to clear the lip but then catches on to the engine undertray behind the lip. I never got compensated for that - they just denied everything, and I did not have time or energy to push. Another time, my 911 was valeted for service by a dealer rep and they managed to curb a wheel. They owned up to it and fixed it before returning the car, but still, it was an extra week without the car, and you can tell the wheel has been repaired. My Cayenne was also once returned by a hotel vallet with a slightly curbed wheel, although I was only 90% sure they have done it, so I did not even bring it up. Most valets or their employers do not realize how expensive the wheels are, and the concrete curbes in many garages are such a hazard.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:19 PM
boosted305
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wotaskd

My strategy is to research my options before leaving the house. If I know valet cannot be avoided, I drive my wife's car 😂
Great minds think alike...wife's car is the go-to fallback.

And for a place I have never been to...I will typically reconnoiter a day or two before and assess the parking situation...

I actually prefer valet, but let me qualify that...I prefer valet only where I, myself, can park the car upfront...I don't like to park anywhere else...street parking is way too risky.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:31 PM
boosted305
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTX
Prob varies by region and if one is a regular
Upscale urban regions often have guys who DD $250K+ cars and are daily regulars at certain restaurants/hotels....and self-park; keep their key; and know all the valets....and give a $10 or $20 tip as leaving
Prob need to give more if not a regular and at a place w/slots already occupied/reserved for such regulars
And a place without such regulars may have larger issues anyway...
Speaking for Miami...it depends on the place you are going to, but if you want a primo spot up front you will likely pay anywhere from $30-75 just for the spot...often its simple matter of supply and demand, most places don't have many spots like that so they charge more...and then I will typically give another $10-20 tip if everything went well...I consider it the "cost of doing business" with a car like this.

Wifey and I specifically choose restaurants where we know there is "good" parking (ie we can park up front ourselves)...otherwise, her car it is...

Old 11-23-2021, 02:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,634 Likes on 5,099 Posts

I used to work as a valet when I was in high school.

And as a former valet, I would never valet any car that I cared about.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,255 Posts

This . . . . .

The following users liked this post:
NOSUB2T (11-27-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 181 Posts

I alway access the situation , quality of restaurant etc. , in S. Fl. Porsches are
common, use FAL, tell them car is in Valet mode.GT Porsche’s they park up front
anyways if space is available. Plus my 992 GT3 has exhaust Modify, so I know
when it is running.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:58 PM
911inator
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

It would depend on the situation. Some valet parking is right at the front of the restaurant, and you see the whole process before you walk in, and you can even see your car from your table.

Typically the other option is a regular parking lot, where you are subject to door dings and envious knuckleheads.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,634 Likes on 5,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 911inator
It would depend on the situation. Some valet parking is right at the front of the restaurant, and you see the whole process before you walk in, and you can even see your car from your table.

Typically the other option is to slip the valet some $$ and either park the car yourself (and keep the keys yourself) OR have the valet park the car in front (and give you the keys)
FIFY
Old 11-28-2021, 02:58 AM
Pathy
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

On a similar note, do any of you guys either live in or travel to Manhattan?

I travel for business, pleasure, and family pretty often despite living in PA. With my Mercedes sedans (not cheap, but not sports car expensive) I really had no problem just giving the keys to parking garage attendants near where I was staying. What do you guys do with much pricier TTS cars and the like? I mean, Manhattan sees its fair share of exotics, but I'm still wondering what the best way to park in the city is if you're driving anything really pricey.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:33 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

While i usually park and walk myself, I’ve always valeted it at high end places. Never been a problem. A TTS isn’t exotic in CA.

​​​​​​​If it’s not a place you want your car to stay, is it even a place you want to stay ? ;-)
Old 11-28-2021, 08:40 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
On a similar note, do any of you guys either live in or travel to Manhattan?

I travel for business, pleasure, and family pretty often despite living in PA. With my Mercedes sedans (not cheap, but not sports car expensive) I really had no problem just giving the keys to parking garage attendants near where I was staying. What do you guys do with much pricier TTS cars and the like? I mean, Manhattan sees its fair share of exotics, but I'm still wondering what the best way to park in the city is if you're driving anything really pricey.
I live in Pa too, have not been to NY City lately, but used to go weekly, never took my euro cars or corvettes there, rented limo's, just cheaper than any possible damage, and didn't have to worry about driving
Old 11-28-2021, 08:41 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Take your Jeep (if you’ve got one) or as stated above….the wife’s car instead…..
Old 11-28-2021, 02:03 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I’m not really worried about someone joy riding in my car. I’ve had situations where my car was scratched or scuffed by valet. When valeting one of my exotics, I tip substantially and park my car in the front. Everyone wins.

Last edited by riotgear; 11-29-2021 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (11-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Valet Parking?