Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Missing Parts, Second Keys, Telescopic Steering, etc. Communication?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Missing Parts, Second Keys, Telescopic Steering, etc. Communication?

Has anyone been contacted by any of their dealerships to be informed of the arrival of their second key? Has anyone been contacted by their dealership to rectify the missing telescopic adjustment system?

I think it is unconscionable that there is no communication from the dealership nor PCNA Re: the missing components that we were shorted when taking possession of our new cars earlier this year.

I’m missing stuff I paid for.

No communication, SERIOUSLY!
Old 10-03-2021, 12:49 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

They just do not know - neither dealers nor PCNA. My friend owns a dealership, and he got his Cayenne with no telescopic steering and one key. The way things are now, they will need to either majorly redesign some systems on the fly (almost unprecedented) to use different types of microchips or deal with delays and shortages for at least another year, even if things go smoothly with production from now on. The situation is so bad that they cannot give you any good news even when they get more info from the headquarters.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:40 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

You probably know more than the dealer, seriously
Old 10-03-2021, 09:40 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

It should be a shared responsibility between the sales, parts, and service departments. But because the issue doesn't belong entirely to any one department it falls between the cracks.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

It sounds like even PAG may not even know. I heard that they will randomly receive batches of TPMS modules and install them on the line, prioritizing 911s. Some cars will have them, some won’t. There is apparently no real way for them to know what their supply is going to be. I presume it’s the same for all these random parts.

I suspect the dealers and reps are completely in the dark.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:10 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I run a service department at a Volkswagen dealer. Trust me when I say “we are all kept in the dark” on this stuff. Supplies are starting to trickle in but it all is a shock when we get long back ordered parts. Should there be a better form of communication from the manufacturer? Yes, however they are more focused on scrambling for whatever they can get. I know it’s the answer you want but the reality of the situation and it’s not just limited to the auto industry right now.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:16 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm the President and CEO of a construction Materials Manufacturing Company. Unfortunately, my staff is forced to spend a lot of time sourcing and procuring product/raw materials. The biggest problem we face is having product to sell! Even large suppliers such as DOW Chemical, HB Fuller, etc can't provide accurate times when materials will be available or at what price. This is affecting most industries. The reasons for these disruptions are mostly the same. Supply chain issues. Regardless of industry (and yes, some industries are more affected than others) demand for many products and services was significantly reduced during the pandemic. So suppliers and shippers shrunk their operations and production capacities accordingly. Around November two major issues caused demand to surge. The elections were over, (Presidential elections tend to create uncertainty in the market place) and Vaccines were starting to come out. The response by the market was huge, unexpected and almost immediate. Demand soured for practically everything so quickly that suppliers and the supply chain couldn't keep up. Add to that some additional disruptions such as the big freeze in Texas, the recent hurricane, high demand for products before the holiday season not to mention that China is on holiday from October 1st thru the 7th. In other words, we are all interconnected. This is a global issue that will take time to resolve. The information that i'm getting is that shipping and logistical pressures should start to get better after the first quarter of 2022. But no one really knows. Earlier this week it was announced that there were approximately 80 ships parked outside the Los Angeles / Long Beach ports waiting for a berthing spot. (Ships are parked outside the port of Los Angeles for 2-3 weeks waiting for a spot!) Containers we order from overseas that would have a 5-8 week turnaround time (they would arrive within 5-8 weeks from the time we ordered products) now easily take 3-4 months. So we buy extra product. "Increase our inventories" (hoard if you will) just to make sure we won't run out of inventory. Many companies are doing the same. Car companies are struggling to produce enough cars just to keep themselves and their dealers profitable. To avoid manufacturing delays they are now shipping cars without TPMS chips only to be added later. Or with manual adjustable steering wheels and only one key. The computer chip market has been hit particularly hard (I'm not sure exactly why) but there is such high demand for them that they are one of the big reasons for delays and disruptions. I am no expert on this subject matter by any means, but I do deal with this daily and these are my experiences. I hope this helps people understand some of the issues companies are facing today. On a side note, I have a 2022 TTS build that's supposed to lock in three weeks, be built in November or December and arrive in Los Angeles sometime in February or March. Frustrating? Yes! However, all I can really do is be Patient.
The following 2 users liked this post by Amir1:
rodsky (10-04-2021), Steve 96C4S (10-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Missing Parts, Second Keys, Telescopic Steering, etc. Communication?