Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

ADM for Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:16 AM
DTup
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it’s fair to say that the 992 TTS is NOT following the depreciation curve of 991.1 or .2, so maybe perhaps we stop referring to that? It’s just a fundamentally different production market and sales market and they’re just not comparable. “When this shortage ends” …… this isn’t happening any time soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by DTup:
Fixinbones (10-08-2021), Steve 96C4S (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:24 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 740 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey whatever it takes for you to justify the expense. Rock on
Old 09-18-2021, 10:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
991.1 was pretty bad. 991.2 was better. I got a good return when I sold mine.

Of course now things are crazy. I got an automated email from my dealer offering $140k for that 2017 991.2 TTS which is about $20k less than what I paid 4 years ago (and that’s their starting point).
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Despite the current shortages, I feel dealers charging ADM really speak negatively to their business ethics. I wouldn't be surprised if other areas of their business are also run with the sole goal of squeezing every last penny out from a stone, customer service and relations be damned. Think carefully before you support price gouging at a dealer. It's a matter of principle.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 12:13 PM
DTup
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

I got mine for about 5k below sticker off the first
boat. I was making a different point, not about justifying ADM, just saying the depreciation curve is very different for the 992. When was the last time any other model turbo left the lot and went UP in value?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:38 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 740 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by DTup
I got mine for about 5k below sticker off the first
boat. I was making a different point, not about justifying ADM, just saying the depreciation curve is very different for the 992. When was the last time any other model turbo left the lot and went UP in value?
My point is it has NOTHING to do with a Turbo being different (you keep comparing a 991 to a 992). A KIA Telluride goes up in value right now. Times are different and they are only different short term. The Turbo is a mass produced not limited not a GT car that will go back to its depreciating ways. When back to normal they WILL NOT command a premium, they will not sell for higher than MSRP and they will certainly depreciate like all Turbos do which is a lot. The 992 is better than the 991. Just like the 991 is better than the 997. It is how all cars go in all models. A Turbo will go back to being a Turbo when things settle down.

Spending the same money on a Turbo ADM is far worse financially then spending that exact same on a GT car ADM. Maybe that makes my point more clear. turbo will NEVER hold that value like a GT car will.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,633 Likes on 5,099 Posts

This applies to every single discretionary luxury item people buy, all Porsche models included -- be it a TTS or a base Carrera.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:15 PM
jiggyjoejoe
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PEC-LA is a fantastic idea. I'll start calling around. Thanks for the suggestions. Trying to get my first 911!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 PM
SLATETT
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 92 Posts

I reached out to Beachwood Porsche - they do seem to have an allocation, but for folks not in their area - they want a "compelling trade" ... similarly Porsche Chicago has an inbound TTS coupe they will only sell locally.
chance6 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:09 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by L5Man
Turbo Allocations are still a huge problem. I had an order in for a Turbo for 8 months, and my dealer offered me a Turbo S allocation (higher $$$),
but I took it as Turbo allocations are more rare. You have to decide if the over MRSP but still under the Turbo S MSRP is worth it to you.
I remember January 2018 walking into Porsche downtown LA and asking about 911 Turbos. I took one for a test drive on the spot. SA then said he'd hunt for an allocation for me on a 911 Turbo. I ordered one in March 2018. He gave me a nice discount, too. Props to DTLA for that moment in time.

Times have changed. I was at my dealer today and the atmosphere was that of a cold fish. A carp, even. Macans and Cayennes. Absolutely brutal.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:16 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

My point is it has NOTHING to do with a Turbo being different (you keep comparing a 991 to a 992). A KIA Telluride goes up in value right now. Times are different and they are only different short term. The Turbo is a mass produced not limited not a GT car that will go back to its depreciating ways. When back to normal they WILL NOT command a premium, they will not sell for higher than MSRP and they will certainly depreciate like all Turbos do which is a lot. The 992 is better than the 991. Just like the 991 is better than the 997. It is how all cars go in all models. A Turbo will go back to being a Turbo when things settle down.

Spending the same money on a Turbo ADM is far worse financially then spending that exact same on a GT car ADM. Maybe that makes my point more clear. turbo will NEVER hold that value like a GT car will.
I believe what you are saying on the surface, although the quantity of Turbos/TTS are actually similarly produced to the GT3, at least 991.2. Who's to say this isn't a new valuation that's going to hold for 3-5 years? How the Hell does anybody know?? 992 TTS cars going for $25k-$50k markups over MSRP...991.2 TTS cars with low miles selling for MSRP.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
I believe what you are saying on the surface, although the quantity of Turbos/TTS are actually similarly produced to the GT3, at least 991.2. Who's to say this isn't a new valuation that's going to hold for 3-5 years? How the Hell does anybody know?? 992 TTS cars going for $25k-$50k markups over MSRP...991.2 TTS cars with low miles selling for MSRP.
I agree - things changed with the 991.2 TT/S. Porsche made less of those cars and resale was better. I suspect depreciation with the 992 TT/S (at least %) will be better than the Carrera/S. Just a hunch.

GT cars will be better of course, no argument there. But I really don’t think we’re going to see the catastrophic dump in value that people seem to associate with Turbos.
chance6 (09-20-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by DTup
I think it’s fair to say that the 992 TTS is NOT following the depreciation curve of 991.1 or .2, so maybe perhaps we stop referring to that? It’s just a fundamentally different production market and sales market and they’re just not comparable. “When this shortage ends” …… this isn’t happening any time soon.
The shortage ends 24 hours after I buy one.

Just like with stocks, buy today, -20% tomorrow. Never fails.
The following 5 users liked this post by shrimp money:
chance6 (09-19-2021), dmacker (09-20-2021), Fattony001 (09-19-2021), Fixinbones (10-08-2021), IrwinMFletcher (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:28 AM
HPTX
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Really depends upon ethos of the dealer owner and that of customer, each counterparty naturally trying to maximize own self-interest in whatever mkt environment

Know of a decent-sized CA dealer in one of CA's two major mkts that sells 992GT3 at MSRP to sufficiently profitable repeat customers (quite frankly, fairly unremarkable amts vs what many BH/Atherton plutocrats annually spend on cars to stock their 3-5 houses w/a master buying agreement w/some big CA/FL dealer), but this dealer observed that many of their most profitable customers have no interest in GT3; so aside from the 2-3 such customers w/an interest in GT3, they sell their GT3 allocations at mkt ADM

IIRC, P cut profit margins to dealer on GT3 to 10%, not usual 15%, for US dealers (as they understand the US ADM game vs overall dealer profitability vs PCNA's); and rumors were PCNA might cut margins on TTS to 10% as well (don't know if that occurred)

And trade-in's are a funny game; know many smart, wealthy guys in CA lease all their cars and replace them annually, no matter mkt environment; in today's world, the guy doing his habitual trading-in of such used, leased 992TTS for another new, leased TTS or GT3, accrues quite handsome profits to dealer on all sides of those deals.....but TCO/VAR of any leased luxury car to such customers is lowest in history....all while their capital is probably compounding quite well in NDX/SPX/crypto, etc

Many of the smartest car dealer owners in US are billionaires (far wealthier than the VOW family patriarchs, let alone the wage slaves at PCNA)....but many/most of the smartest US customers are far, far wealthier.....

Old 09-19-2021, 06:54 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTX
Really depends upon ethos of the dealer owner and that of customer, each counterparty naturally trying to maximize own self-interest in whatever mkt environment

Know of a decent-sized CA dealer in one of CA's two major mkts that sells 992GT3 at MSRP to sufficiently profitable repeat customers (quite frankly, fairly unremarkable amts vs what many BH/Atherton plutocrats annually spend on cars to stock their 3-5 houses w/a master buying agreement w/some big CA/FL dealer), but this dealer observed that many of their most profitable customers have no interest in GT3; so aside from the 2-3 such customers w/an interest in GT3, they sell their GT3 allocations at mkt ADM

IIRC, P cut profit margins to dealer on GT3 to 10%, not usual 15%, for US dealers (as they understand the US ADM game vs overall dealer profitability vs PCNA's); and rumors were PCNA might cut margins on TTS to 10% as well (don't know if that occurred)

And trade-in's are a funny game; know many smart, wealthy guys in CA lease all their cars and replace them annually, no matter mkt environment; in today's world, the guy doing his habitual trading-in of such used, leased 992TTS for another new, leased TTS or GT3, accrues quite handsome profits to dealer on all sides of those deals.....but TCO/VAR of any leased luxury car to such customers is lowest in history....all while their capital is probably compounding quite well in NDX/SPX/crypto, etc

Many of the smartest car dealer owners in US are billionaires (far wealthier than the VOW family patriarchs, let alone the wage slaves at PCNA)....but many/most of the smartest US customers are far, far wealthier.....
that's hard for me to read

Quick Reply: ADM for Turbo