Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Does Turbo S come with centerlock wheel toolset?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 12:09 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

I carry all the necessary tools in the car in my 991.2........once you remove a wheel once, it is easier and faster..........center alignment tool to slide off the wheel really helps, plus the lightweight 996 jack I purchased to carry in the car........
Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

It comes up every few months. Replacement tires are almost never in stock, with days to weeks wait, so if a plug is not enough, it's a flatbed tow, regardless of centerlock or not. The tool for the nut is in the car and the wrench is an uncommon but not a unique tool - e.g., some bigger trucks use 3/4" too. Also, you can just use 3/4" ratchet or breaker bar from Home Depot or any other hardware store in a pinch - centerlocks have markings on them to tighten them close enough even without a torque wrench. Once you have done it once, it takes the same or less time than 5 lugs. Yes, some dumb/lazy mechanics can screw it up but you can do it yourself in under 10 minutes after watching a short youtube video. Practical benefits are minimal but exist - no need to check torque between track sessions, no chance of the wheel coming loose or studs breaking, less likely to ruin hubs from cross-threading lug bolts or breaking studs. But most never encounter these issues even with 5-lugs, so just get whatever looks better to you and do not worry.

BTW, as an experiment, I told my 8yo how to change CL wheels and she did it just fine. I only helped where strength was needed - breaking and tightening, and lifting wheels over PCCB rotors (I do not bother with wheel guides, by the way - lifting the car just enough that the wheel can slide on the ground without touching the rotor does the trick reliably, and I change wheels often - used to do more than 10 swaps per year when I tracked my GT3 cars). If a little girl can do it, so can you:

The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
cwbrown (11-05-2022), Trapperj (10-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Does Turbo S come with centerlock wheel toolset?