Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Guards Red vs Chalk TTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 11:37 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
I don’t know what it is with GR, I love the way it looks on other people’s cars and in photos, but don’t feel like I’m a “red car guy” for some reason….
You may be - you just don't know it yet . For years all I would drive were non-metallic black cars - as most have to admit they look pretty damn good when freshly detailed. Then I simply got fed up with taking care of them all the time and the world moving towards grey-scale cars in general, they weren't all that special anymore (at least to me) - although they still look very good. Fast forward to my first new Porsche - a 2006 Cayman - ordered it in Atlas Grey. Great color that is a medium grey with some blue thrown in - what a rogue I was with that purchase. Then one sunny Sunday afternoon I was roaming a Porsche dealer lot starting to look at 911's - then I saw it - a Guards Red 911 S sitting in the new car lineup (you know, back when you could find a 911 on a lot to look at) It had black accents and wheels - what an epiphany that day was. Next car was a GR 911S, then 2 Carmine cars after that (GTS/TT). I had the same feeling though - am I really a "red" car guy? Yeah, you hear all the dumb-azz stories about red car guys - mid-life crisis, chest rug (sorry, Corvette guy) or chick showoff material - then I grew up and realized I was none of that - just a guy that really liked the red 911 I saw. So now my next one is Shark Blue - as I really like the color, but would easily order GR or Carmine again. I really don't think about this type of crap anymore - I just buy what I like, so should you - whatever color that is.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 08-23-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:07 AM
gt3dude
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

Call me crazy but i dont think red fits 911s much. Red is for ferraris

Chalk all day anyday for me.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:26 AM
docmd2010
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3dude
Call me crazy but i dont think red fits 911s much. Red is for ferraris

Chalk all day anyday for me.

i can see why a lot of people don’t like red on 911s, especially on a TTS. Most people owning a turbo s probably like that they are buying a supercar that they can daily and somewhat fly under the radar. I guess a red color somewhat takes that low key look away

The way I see it? Get the color that makes you excited !

Last edited by docmd2010; 08-24-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:06 AM
WhiteHotPepper
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Carmine Red looks good to me!
Some interesting interior options on this one...

Here is a nice Chalk video I thought you might enjoy as well...

Enjoy your car in what ever color YOU decide!
Jeff

Last edited by WhiteHotPepper; 08-24-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

I went through a lot of color decisions (as most here can tell you

I loved Carmine Red, but wanted something a little more classic and was set on Carrara White Metallic until I went into my local dealer and saw a Chalk 991.2 GT3. That was it for me. I immediately changed my order to chalk with a black leather/chalk stitching interior and all the exterior accents on the exterior done in gloss black, including the calipers. Very happy with my decision and now I just have to bear the couple of months wait to get it.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (02-08-2024)
Old 08-24-2021, 12:50 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I went through a lot of color decisions (as most here can tell you

I loved Carmine Red, but wanted something a little more classic and was set on Carrara White Metallic until I went into my local dealer and saw a Chalk 991.2 GT3. That was it for me. I immediately changed my order to chalk with a black leather/chalk stitching interior and all the exterior accents on the exterior done in gloss black, including the calipers. Very happy with my decision and now I just have to bear the couple of months wait to get it.
Dr. G -- Yes, I've seen some of your threads debating various options, and they've been quite helpful. I think you made a great choice with the Chalk and gloss black exterior accents. I was in a similar boat with my C4S. I had a build in GT Silver, saw Chalk car with the gloss black in the showroom, and immediately switched my build to Chalk with Gloss Black. It looks fantastic, hence part of my conundrum. I know I like the combo on my C4S, so maybe stick with it on the TTS. On the flip-side, change is the spice of life.... At the end of the day, the car looks great in all colors, so you can't really go wrong as long as you are thoughtful about exterior/interior combos, etc.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:15 PM
kennb44
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the two there's no wrong answer.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:27 AM
Ryan W
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people pick conservative because they don’t want to be judged or guess wrong.
sullic (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:55 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd go with Guards Red or Carmine Red... There's just something sexy about a red sports car.

The TTS is not really a "red" kind of car, it's more understated, BUT it looks pretty in the color either way, and your TTS would be unique because so few of these are ordered in red.

I definitely would not go with Chalk, it's such a boring choice. Everyone gets their TTS in Chalk and the color is just so played out at this point. It's the most "safe" choice you possibly make and that's boring. If you don't go with red, at least make the decision to go with a definitive color like White or Gloss Black, and not the "compromise" middle that Chalk represents.

Here is a Youtube video to get you pumped about a Guards Red 992 TTS that I found pretty beautiful to watch:

Last edited by Pathy; 02-06-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:04 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

And here is another video of a Guards Red TTS being driven through some mountain passes (maybe this could be you if you choose to do European Delivery of the vehicle?):

(I had to add this in a second post because the link wasn't working in the previous post)

Last edited by Pathy; 02-06-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:24 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 282 Posts

I bought a chalk colored car with a graphite interior. I purchased the car used so I did not spec. That said, I love the color combination of chalk over graphite blue interior. I really liked the Carmine red, but when I saw it in real life, I was kind of let down.
In any case, my car is chalk with black arrow kit and the black exhaust. I think it looks great, but of course I do it’s my car.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 02-07-2024 at 01:26 AM.
JET992 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 02:26 AM
Gjon777
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Carmine red looks better than Guards red. Deeper red. Less orange. Light changes the way all colors look. Chalk is nice. Just not as nice as the reds. IMO more bold colors make sports cars stand out. It’s all personal preference though. I can’t tell you what you like, just what I like. I’ve owned both Guards Red Carmine Red.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:23 AM
JET992
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As has already been mentioned on this thread, it is all down to what you as an individual love/enjoy. I was torn between Arctic Grey and Chalk (or Crayon as it's known here in Blighty) and went for Chalk (with SDP) as I just think it really suits the 992 generation. As an observation, I have had the most number of (positive) comments about the colour from passers by that I have had about any car I have owned...but that said, I have never had red before....

Quick Reply: Guards Red vs Chalk TTS