Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

PCCBs in cold, rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 05:54 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Got it, so in the normal course of suburban highway driving, where you are braking every so often due to drivers merging, not knowing how to use cruise control, etc. this would essentially be a non issue. I suppose the scenario I worry about is an unplanned emergency stop if someone cuts you off, is about to merge into you, etc...
Old 08-16-2021, 06:03 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

I drove my 997TT in Reno/Tahoe all year long on season appropriate tires, except in deeper snow. It is often cold/dry and I never had issues with PCCB's due to the ambient temperature. A few times in really heavy rain—heavy enough that I already felt the need to slow down—I did not feel the brakes were initially as strong as expected, but still better than most regular cars. For good measure, I just tapped the brakes every once in while and increased following distances a little bit in traffic. The newer generation PCCB's are better. With just modest awareness (i.e., think about it as you turn on your windshield wipers), it is a non-issue. Now, wet drum brakes on a classic car, especially with one side wet and one dry, that can be handful.

Last edited by sparkhill; 08-16-2021 at 06:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (08-16-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 01:48 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

My TT steelies were quiet and reliable in daily Canadian winter conditions. Very consistent brake feel overall.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:59 PM
P4bombers
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Thanks. This is all very helpful. I think the fundamental question is are the PCCBs better, equal, or worse in typical DD situations in inclement weather. All brakes need some heat to perform optimally.

The intention isn’t to drive in a blizzard or anything and we have my wife’s X3 for picking up groceries in a snowstorm, but sometimes you get caught off guard / stuck in the office and a storm hits early, etc. and I don’t want to be worried about driving the TTS.

On track, I know PCCB running cost is considerably higher, but for mere 3-4 sessions a year driving 7 / 10th I’m less worried about that, as they perform flawlessly and at some point when kids are older and I have more time I’ll likely get a dedicated track car again. And I’d likely need to drive in winter “slop” from time to time.

I’m happy to pay more for better performance but not willing to pay more for inferior performance (ie if the only benefit I’d see is less brake dust at the expense of reduced pedal feel or a “no brakes” sensation.)
I'm in Boston and had my 991.2 TTS with PCCB as my semi daily driver. I swapped snows for the winter months with the factory CL wheels and drove it through the winter without any concerns. When I was in the office I actually looked forward to the snowflakes falling so I could enjoy the ride home pushing the boundaries on a slick surface. I never once had any concern about braking performance or stopping capability.

That said, I picked up a M3 Competition earlier this year to teach my oldest son how to drive a manual (the things we do for our kids ;-). When the M3 carbons got wet, it was a completely different experience full of 'oh **** where did the brakes go' type of moments until the braking kicked in what seemed like an eternity, probably no more than 2-3 seconds, after having the pedal to the floor. Definitely not an enjoyable experience but a complete 180' from what you will experience in the TTS.

My 992 should arrive in December. I'll have a set of dedicated snows at the ready so it can be enjoyed in the New England weather, out in the wild, for the first few months of its life.

Last edited by P4bombers; 08-17-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:42 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

THANKS P4 and everyone else. I just put the deposit down for my TTS, in large part thanks to the advice here which got me comfort with the PCCBs and CLs. Build doesn't lock for another month... but my build is pretty much final (basically just a TTS version of my 4S) so hopefully I don't lose too many nights of sleep agonizing over options (other than exterior color).
Tumbleweed (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 04:55 PM
Deda1976
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First bite…well,when you drive 85 mph on highway and you need to make emergency breaking…that first bite is very weak when weather is cold and wet..

i touch brake from time to time,but it’s annoying…so i drive slowly and im carefull even more.

Originally Posted by wintershade
Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "first bite." How often do you need to tap the brakes to keep some heat in them while driving down highway on a cold or rainy day. Are we talking every couple minutes (which I think might be kind of annoying and take some real attention) or more like a couple times an hour (which presumably happens in the normal course of driving). I'm trying to gauge the inconvenience level here...
Old 08-17-2021, 05:38 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

It's really not an issue with the relatively newer generations of PCCBs. I've never noticed a significantly reduced bite in torrential rain. With the right tires !!! the TTS is an absolute beast in inclement weather.

When you wash your car, you do need to get all the soap off the ceramics, or they will be shockingly slippery. That's really the only time I've consciously had to brake check.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:41 PM
P4bombers
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
It's really not an issue with the relatively newer generations of PCCBs. I've never noticed a significantly reduced bite in torrential rain. With the right tires !!! the TTS is an absolute beast in inclement weather.

When you wash your car, you do need to get all the soap off the ceramics, or they will be shockingly slippery. That's really the only time I've consciously had to brake check.
Well said. Since there's no brake dust, I just stopped using soap on the wheels. Either wipe them down by hand (rag and cleaner as needed) or a water soaked sponge.
AlexCeres (12-06-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 04:51 AM
Arcanum
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had poor braking performance with PCCB's once, shortly after getting the car (Cayman GTS 4.0). Admittedly it was after driving through a few hundred feet of water that was around 2-3" deep from a river that had burst its banks. Plus it was only 2-3C / 36F outside. There was absolutely zero braking performance at all for around 20-seconds, and I had to drive for about a minute with my left foot on the brake to get back to normal braking performance. It was quite a surprise when it happened!

Now, this is definitely an extreme situation. Yet I *know* steels handle this situation better as we get a lot of flooded roads in the winter where I live in the UK. Driving through a few hundred feet of 2-3" deep river water is something you have to do a few times a year. Steels provide degraded braking performance, not nothing, and come back to full-performance more quickly.

Aside from the above, I've had no complaints with PCCB's in normal wet/cold driving conditions and put 2,000-miles on the car over the UK winter without any issues. Which makes me think that PCCB's are compromised compared to steels at the very extreme end of the cold+wet spectrum, but it's only then that you have to make some allowances.
P4bombers (08-18-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:09 AM
incorigeable
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

This is such a helpful note. I ran Cayenne Turbo S through one of those touches car washes the other day. Exiting and going through intersection I had almost no brakes. Definitely an oh $%#! moment. Won't be doing that again. I had been worried this was a cold/wet level of performance, a potential problem given I live in Wyoming. LOL
Old 12-06-2021, 01:26 PM
feron315
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by incorigeable
This is such a helpful note. I ran Cayenne Turbo S through one of those touches car washes the other day. Exiting and going through intersection I had almost no brakes. Definitely an oh $%#! moment. Won't be doing that again. I had been worried this was a cold/wet level of performance, a potential problem given I live in Wyoming. LOL
I have the same issue with steel rotors as well. I think it's because of the soap/wax they spray on which sometimes doesn't get rinsed off the rotors completely. I get into the habbit of tapping my brakes a couple of times right after I exit the car wash and I don't have issues anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by feron315:
AlexCeres (12-06-2021), MaxLTV (12-06-2021)

Quick Reply: PCCBs in cold, rain