PPF

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 11:46 AM
PLuva
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPF

Hi all,

I have never owned a car nice enough to wrap so I have a few questions. I know most people here say to not use the dealer but are there any advantages of using them as the middle man? I would think if there were any problems it would be easier to deal with them than the mom and pop shop…Also easier to have them transport it to the shop right after delivery. That being said, are we just paying an unnecessary premium if I knew which shop they send it to anyway?
Lastly, does anybody have recommendations in the Westchester, NY area if I was looking to fully wrap the car… what brand should I use?

thanks
Old 08-06-2021, 03:03 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 228 Posts

Dealership offers convenience. That's it. The dealer doesn't have a contractor that comes to the dealership to do the install? That would be the only way I would even consider it. Otherwise, I'LL be the guy driving my brand new six figure car somewhere else to have the PPF installed. But that's just me and I'm OCD. Hence the PPF.

Detailers Domain in Bergen County, NJ is well known and has an excellent reputation. I'm sure in the NYC metro area there are many, many more as well.

If needed, buy a roll of this for transport purposes. Very easy self-install until you get the permanent PPF installed.

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-prot...-film/tracwrap

Last edited by DSC48; 08-07-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,633 Likes on 5,099 Posts

Originally Posted by PLuva
Hi all,

I have never owned a car nice enough to wrap so I have a few questions. I know most people here say to not use the dealer but are there any advantages of using them as the middle man? I would think if there were any problems it would be easier to deal with them than the mom and pop shop…Also easier to have them transport it to the shop right after delivery. That being said, are we just paying an unnecessary premium if I knew which shop they send it to anyway?
Lastly, does anybody have recommendations in the Westchester, NY area if I was looking to fully wrap the car… what brand should I use?

thanks
Now, that is funny.

Don't use the dealer.

Find a reputable shop in/around where you live. Ask around, look at their past clients' cars, and if it meets with your approval go with them.

Drive the damn car from the dealer to the installer. Unless you're driving hours, the chances of damaging the car during this short period of time/drive is minimal to none.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:42 PM
boosted305
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Me personally:

I used the dealer for two reasons:

1. I didn't want to leave the dealer in my brand new six figure car without it being protected...I know that "Unless you're driving hours, the chances of damaging the car during this short period of time/drive is minimal to none."...but in the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas..."So you're saying there's a chance?"
...as an example, even though the car was fully wrapped, the windshield got dinged on the way home...it only takes one tiny rock to ruin the paint on these six figure cars...so why even take the chance?

2. My dealer sent the car on a flatbed to the PPF installer...and then brought it back on a flatbed so there was no driving involved.

3. My dealer stands behind the product and covers any issues 100%, no questions asked...in fact, when I picked up the car I noticed that the rear bumper alignment wasn't perfect (they remove the rear bumper as part of the PPF install)...the dealer told me no problem, go ahead and drive the car home and when you are ready, call us and we will send a flatbed and pick it up and take care of it. To me, that is incredible service that you are not going to get from a mom and pop ...flatbeds are not cheap. (and yes I have used mom and pops for previous vehicles)

All those reasons made it a no brainer for me to use the dealer...

But...that's just me, and also I realize that not all dealers are that good...
Old 08-06-2021, 03:43 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Now, that is funny.

Don't use the dealer.

Find a reputable shop in/around where you live. Ask around, look at their past clients' cars, and if it meets with your approval go with them.

Drive the damn car from the dealer to the installer. Unless you're driving hours, the chances of damaging the car during this short period of time/drive is minimal to none.
This is the correct answer.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:44 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boosted305
Me personally:

I used the dealer for two reasons:

1. I didn't want to leave the dealer in my brand new six figure car without it being protected...I know that "Unless you're driving hours, the chances of damaging the car during this short period of time/drive is minimal to none."...but in the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas..."So you're saying there's a chance?"
...as an example, even though the car was fully wrapped, the windshield got dinged on the way home...it only takes one tiny rock to ruin the paint on these six figure cars...so why even take the chance?

2. My dealer sent the car on a flatbed to the PPF installer...and then brought it back on a flatbed so there was no driving involved.

3. My dealer stands behind the product and covers any issues 100%, no questions asked...in fact, when I picked up the car I noticed that the rear bumper alignment wasn't perfect (they remove the rear bumper as part of the PPF install)...the dealer told me no problem, go ahead and drive the car home and when you are ready, call us and we will send a flatbed and pick it up and take care of it. To me, that is incredible service that you are not going to get from a mom and pop ...flatbeds are not cheap. (and yes I have used mom and pops for previous vehicles)

All those reasons made it a no brainer for me to use the dealer...

But...that's just me, and also I realize that not all dealers are that good...
That level of service is rare!
Old 08-06-2021, 04:42 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

I have used many thru the years, been having my cars clear wrapped for over 15 years, the best I have found is Esoteric in Ohio, been using them for the last 5 years, I use STEK plastic, it's self healing and self shining. The installer is the most important thing in the process, that's why I have my cars trucked out there, they teach other shops how to install clear wrap
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (08-09-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 05:05 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I’ve had one car wrapped at the dealer and the install was not as good as the PPF installed I typically go to. The only benefit as convenience. I wouldn’t do it again.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:21 PM
PLuva
Intermediate

What should I be expecting to pay for a full wrap?
Also, does a full wrap include side intakes, rear diffuser, spoiler….?
Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Depending on locality, probably around 4-5k.

And, yes, full wrap means the entire car. Otherwise, it's called a partial wrap.
Steve 96C4S (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 01:18 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

West Coast, I would say expect to pay 8-10K for paint correction and a full wrap, custom installation with zero seams. If you are OK with a semi-custom kit installation, then maybe 60% of that price. Both are fine – it comes down to how particular you are. I have both on various cars.
hcvone (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:51 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 228 Posts

NJ...$6000+ for correction and full pre-cut coverage. I prefer pre-cut myself.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:56 AM
PLuva
Intermediate

I’m assuming precut is cheaper? Does that mean edges do not get tucked?
Also, is ceramic worth it? I’ve heard that the expel can dull the metallic look.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:11 PM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I have done full front, lover sides, over the wheels, backside, but not doors and roof on my 2 last cars, like to have some ”metal” luft to polish. Super satisfied with Xpel, looked great after 3 years on my Gt3 including some track use. Installer is key, seen some really bad examples.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m assuming precut is cheaper? Does that mean edges do not get tucked?
Also, is ceramic worth it? I’ve heard that the expel can dull the metallic look.
Well, there is generally precut, and then there is precut.

Oftentimes a good installer will use a precut template and then resize and custom fit it to your car so that there are no (or nearly no) edges exposed, and everything is tucked under.

Some installers will use a true precut fabricated Xpel skin where they simply punch in the make, model and year of your vehicle and the machine spits out a generic skin and then the installer just installs it as-is without any customization.

Nowadays, I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is literally customizing a PPF from scratch, unless your car is Pagani Huayra or something where Xpel, Suntek, and the other larger PPF companies don't already have the car in their system with an outline and mold of your car to work with.

As to shine and gloss. The PPF itself will not dull the paint, it's the PPF that will dull. A ceramic coating will minimize the dull and wear and tear of the PPF, but good care and maintenance on your part will go a longer way than ceramic coating -- i.e., don't leave it out in the sun, keep it clean, wipe off any grease or bird droppings, etc. Ceramic coating will help more with making the car shine and have that "wet" look than anything else.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-11-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Steve 96C4S (08-11-2021)

Quick Reply: PPF