Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 12:51 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 693 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheJN
I would get Akrapovič if money was no issue, the 55hp claims from cat back that Fabspeed claims is quite overrated and questionable. But what do I know, I’ve seen KN filter that gives 50hp as well in the past.
Bring it in and we can dyno it, we stand behind our numbers.

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 07-06-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 PM
ss2z06
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Bring it in and we can dyno it, we stand behind our numbers.

Is this with all else stock (cats) and untuned?
Old 07-06-2021, 02:21 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ss2z06
Is this with all else stock (cats) and untuned?
Fully stock.

Our R&D 992 with a Tune + Sport Cats and Valvetronic put down over 720whp.
The following users liked this post:
BIGJ (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 06:16 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Highly recommend going with our Valvetronic rear section, retain all valve functionality while giving you that aggressive tone when you want it.
Okay. I agree with this.

I put the GMG full exhaust on my new 992 TTS. I loved the power gains. They are real and you can feel them. The issue is that the GMG system is non-valved. And it is loud. I knew that going in. But it is a really deep / loud sound. On cold start, it's really, really loud.

My wife told me point blank "too loud, pal. That thing has to go..." So I had it removed last week. I miss the power band (wow). I do not miss how loud and deep the sound was.

My recommendation is that if loudness is even remotely a potential issue then you should FIRST consider a VALVED option like Fabspeed. I assume Fabspeed's valved solution is relatively close to OEM Sport Exhaust when in NORMAL MODE but will let them comment.

Last edited by SB27; 07-06-2021 at 06:20 PM.
ER911S (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
Okay. I agree with this.

I put the GMG full exhaust on my new 992 TTS. I loved the power gains. They are real and you can feel them. The issue is that the GMG system is non-valved. And it is loud. I knew that going in. But it is a really deep / loud sound. On cold start, it's really, really loud.

My wife told me point blank "too loud, pal. That thing has to go..." So I had it removed last week. I miss the power band (wow). I do not miss how loud and deep the s ound was.

My recommendation is that if loudness is even remotely a potential issue then you should FIRST consider a VALVED option like Fabspeed. I assume Fabspeed's valved solution is relatively close to OEM Sport Exhaust when in NORMAL MODE but will let them comment.
The exhaust valves are actuated by electric stepper motors and are dynamic, so I don’t think it’s a simple ON/OFF type deal. The net result is that a valved exhaust is going to be a good bit quieter in both sport mode or normal mode (I believe sport mode lowers the RPM threshold to actuate the valve) regardless of who makes it (assuming they use the OEM system). I also think that the valves may have graduated opening/closing as opposed to a full ON/OFF type setup. It sounds like a pretty sophisticated system.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:14 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Fabspeed and GMG Exhaust System Differences

Originally Posted by rk-d
The exhaust valves are actuated by electric stepper motors and are dynamic, so I don’t think it’s a simple ON/OFF type deal. The net result is that a valved exhaust is going to be a good bit quieter in both sport mode or normal mode (I believe sport mode lowers the RPM threshold to actuate the valve) regardless of who makes it (assuming they use the OEM system). I also think that the valves may have graduated opening/closing as opposed to a full ON/OFF type setup. It sounds like a pretty sophisticated system.
Thanks.

It would be helpful to hear from Fabspeed on:

1. How their system works (vs the full GMG replacement system)
2. Are the factory exhaust valves fully closed in Normal mode in their system
3. Do the valves open on a graduated basis
4. How close is their system to the stock OEM Sport Exhaust sound (aka -- pretty quiet) in Normal mode
5. How much louder is their system in Sport Mode vs OEM Sport Exhaust SPORT mode
Old 07-07-2021, 11:45 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Okay. I agree with this.

My wife told me point blank "too loud, pal. That thing has to go..." So I had it removed last week. I miss the power band (wow). I do not miss how loud and deep the sound was.

You are correct, when in the 'closed' position, it is very similar to the OEM system. Just with a more aggressive tone.
When the valves are opened either through our remote or through your OEM drive modes/PSE controller, the system comes alive with all the sound you could ever want.

Originally Posted by rk-d
Unfortunately, yes. Seems manufacturers are switching up standard valves for some 'new-tech'. Regardless, with the installation of our helical valved x-pipe, we were able to give the majority of that control back to the user.
Thanks.

It would be helpful to hear from Fabspeed on:

1. How their system works (vs the full GMG replacement system)
2. Are the factory exhaust valves fully closed in Normal mode in their system
3. Do the valves open on a graduated basis
4. How close is their system to the stock OEM Sport Exhaust sound (aka -- pretty quiet) in Normal mode
5. How much louder is their system in Sport Mode vs OEM Sport Exhaust SPORT mode

2. Our valves are designed to retain full OEM functionality. They do close fully when in the 'normal' position.

3. Yes the valves open gradually but when the remote/drive modes are selected, you can open them fully resulting in that ripping turbo sound were all after.

4. A different/more aggressive tone, but volume-wise very similar.

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 07-07-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Going back to the OP - I decided to go forward with the Akrapovic and stock cats.

It won’t be loud, I’m sure. I suspect OEM+ which is basically what I’m looking for.

docmd2010 (07-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Question about aftermarket exhaust and PSE