Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Rethinking Burmester

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh Mann
And this guy (thumbs in that direction) is asking if Burmester is worth it?!? Go with the best you can get given you are obviously into music. It isn't that the car is loud but you want purity of sound when you want it - and the engine when you don't.
What I was actually asking is if there was a discernable difference on the road in real world conditions between the sound quality and if that was worth the upgrade. Standing still or crawling in traffic I already knew there was a difference.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
What I was actually asking is if there was a discernable difference on the road in real world conditions between the sound quality and if that was worth the upgrade. Standing still or crawling in traffic I already knew there was a difference.
Seems like the main argument is "Because TTS".

Whether that's compelling is up to you. It wasn't for me. The cabin of the 992 is small and there is a good amount of road noise. It's suboptimal at best for sound. As you know - you can have the best equipment in the world and a bad room will make it sound like sh*t.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:53 PM
Raleigh Mann
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, the difference is in quality of sound at all volume levels - the Bermester is better than the Bose - especially, imho, at lower volumes. While my glib tongue in cheek reply wasn't too helpful - the point seems to me to be that you value *quality of sound*(I'd say purity but given compression of digital signals, etc - that is a bit of a stretch to say here) so I don't understand the question in the first place. Someone who has the home setup you do - unless you don't want a radio at all in the car - why fret over this option choice at all? Your mileage may vary, but to me it isn't a choice at all - my build is Bermester all the way

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN46ILF1
The following users liked this post:
rewardforsuccess (06-27-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Yes, it's much better than the Bose system in all scenarios. Whether that matters to you is entirely subjective.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:25 PM
TustinJim
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had both in the different TTSs I've owned and frankly I can't tell the difference between the two. Both are very nice systems, but I'm old and half deaf in my left ear, probably from playing music too loud over the years. So I opted not to go with the Burmester in my build. Plus I don't take the car on long trips and usually have the windows down when driving anyway. Plus, my baby's mama, aka Grandma, doesn't like loud music, so there you go.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:08 AM
BIGJ
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 70 Posts

Just put 2500 miles on my car on one trip, and maybe cranked it once for one song. I was impressed how well the Bose system sounds!
Pad Bender (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 06:33 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGJ
Just put 2500 miles on my car on one trip, and maybe cranked it once for one song. I was impressed how well the Bose system sounds!
The Bose has impressed me too...get the setting just right and it does the trick. Low frequency bass is pretty sweet.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:12 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Confirmation bias points to "Because it's TT(S)."
Not a single regret with this Bose.
The delta $$ bought 200 cell sport cats and gained a smidgen of added performance.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:52 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Confirmation bias points to "Because it's TT(S)."
Not a single regret with this Bose.
The delta $$ bought 200 cell sport cats and gained a smidgen of added performance.
There is likely some truth to folks checking as many boxes as possible on the top end 911, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a difference. Whether you value the difference is another thing entirely.
Domer911 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 04:22 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 199 Posts

I like and appreciate a good sounding system. Between banging on the drums in my early years and my line of work, I'm half deaf so I need a car audio system that can handle somewhat of high output. Regardless of type of vehicle, I have to have music and the BOSE system in the 911 is barely better than the run of the mill 4 speaker system in a 1980 Hyndai and doesn't cut the mustard. If you have to ask, just get the Burm and call it a day.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-28-2021 at 04:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
DES GTS (06-28-2021), Steve 96C4S (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 07:31 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Let me add my 2 cents because I think it may be helpful..

I am coming out of another 911 that had a 15k sound system in the car. I was offering it to the buyer for $4500 and he asked me to please return it to the factory Bose.
He asked if I had Burmester in the car and the price he was offering was based on the sticker of the car. He was basically saying I wont give you a penny for your 15k system, but I will give you full ask for the stock system, which in any iteration (Base, Bose, Burmester) is really not very good.

The dealer who does all of the configurations said that Burmester was the one box he checks on all TTS's because at those levels the vast majority of buyers insist on Burmester. One poster above said that if you have a PTS car that buyers will buy it regardless and while that is true, if they have two identical cars one with and one without Burmester, the buyer will choose the car with the Burmester every time. In addition, while most buyers wont exclude a car for not having Burmester, it is a selling point for one's that do have it, making the car easier to sell. In addition, adding 5k sound system from factory makes the sticker higher so when people base offers off of the sticker, it allows you to recoup that money. Buy an aftermarket system that is 10x better and you wont get back a penny.

In conclusion, I think the Burmester is a must have item in a 200k car. It is foolish to pick deviated stitching for $4000 and skimp out on the Burmester.
The following 5 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
Calbenzo (06-28-2021), DES GTS (06-28-2021), rodsky (06-28-2021), Steve 96C4S (06-28-2021), Tumbleweed (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:17 AM
Rockin
AutoX

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

For whatever it’s worth, I ordered mine with the Bose because I read a lot of these threads and didn’t think the Burmester was of value, I couldn’t disagree more. The stereo in this car is terrible. I would never consider myself a audiophile in any conversation but coming from many nice luxury cars cars with nice systems, this is the worst I’ve had in years.

I am serious, this is the single biggest regret I have on a quarter million dollar car that nails every single other check box. My new limited diesel Dodge Ram has a stock system that blows this away. Hell I can’t think back when I had a worse stereo.

I don’t mean disrespect to anyone on here, but straight up, if you like music loud with deep bass and high highs, the Bose stereo is garbage in this car. I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s good. Spend the 4K and don’t look back. It’s terrible, I just can’t believe how bad it is.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:01 AM
SergeiSSH
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty useful overview of two systems
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...20-porsche-911

Long story short - Bose is absolutely fine and balanced system. Burmeister is more audiophile oriented, but you will notice the difference only at the stoplights. The rest of time it's like a listening an audiophile oriented system in a small subway train.

One more related thread: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1573582

Last edited by SergeiSSH; 06-29-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:01 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

I wanted to add something here.. many of you are stating that the listening environment in the Porsche is terrible and loud so good sound is not possible or easily attainable. There was a video about the Burmester system online and in it the President of Burmester made a comment to the effect of "the automobile is the perfect environment to obtain excellent audio because it is a closed small cabin with lots of leather and foam to absorb reflections and the ability to point the music directly at the listener". This is correct. It is easy to make any car sound good because the "room" is so small. I am an audiophile so my opinion is just that..

The Bose is simply bad. If anyone says it's good or acceptable its because they have not listened to anything else or done an A/B comparison. The Burmester is the best Porsche offers. Its certainly better than the Bose in every way, but still not a good system. There are several reasons why you order Burmester:

1. Cost can be recovered on resale
2. It is the best that Porsche has to offer for Audio
3. You don't want to open up and disassemble the entire car to do an aftermarket system

The difference from Bose to Burmester is more significant than from Base to Bose. Meaning, if you don't care much about the audio then just select the base stereo. Bose isn't that much better than Base so save your money there.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:02 AM
SergeiSSH
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I wanted to add something here.. many of you are stating that the listening environment in the Porsche is terrible and loud so good sound is not possible or easily attainable. There was a video about the Burmester system online and in it the President of Burmester made a comment to the effect of "the automobile is the perfect environment to obtain excellent audio because it is a closed small cabin with lots of leather and foam to absorb reflections and the ability to point the music directly at the listener". This is correct. It is easy to make any car sound good because the "room" is so small. I am an audiophile so my opinion is just that..

The Bose is simply bad. If anyone says it's good or acceptable its because they have not listened to anything else or done an A/B comparison. The Burmester is the best Porsche offers. Its certainly better than the Bose in every way, but still not a good system. There are several reasons why you order Burmester:

1. Cost can be recovered on resale
2. It is the best that Porsche has to offer for Audio
3. You don't want to open up and disassemble the entire car to do an aftermarket system

The difference from Bose to Burmester is more significant than from Base to Bose. Meaning, if you don't care much about the audio then just select the base stereo. Bose isn't that much better than Base so save your money there.
This is exactly what I said. Only an audiophile would insist that the Burmeister is the only way to go. We should keep in mind that the better the your system is, the better the source should be. For those guys who is on the radio most of their time, or just using Carplay/Android Auto - things are not that obvious.
I had B&W (top of what was available) in my BMW M5 F90 and sounded worse (to me) than Harman in my BMW X7.

Quick Reply: Rethinking Burmester