Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Build ultimate daily driver- SPASM? Sport exhaust? Turbo S vs base Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 03:10 AM
bluecaymangt4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build ultimate daily driver- SPASM? Sport exhaust? Turbo S vs base Turbo?

Hi all. I am tired of my Cayman GT4 which is too noisy and too rough to use frequently. My wife dislikes the carbon bucket seats. It scrapes on my driveway. It just sits in the garage looking all sexy, but never driven. I had a manual Cayman S before the GT4 and it was more practical and thus driven way more. But as always I got upgraditis and wanted something better. I have a habit of 'upgrading' to the point of downgrade. My Raptor is pushing >700hp but the new headers drone. My daily driver Audi S6 is tuned and lowered- it hit a nice balance without being too loud or too firm, which seems rare for me. But I have had that 5 years and want to move on from big sedans. My goal now is to get rid of both the S6 and the GT4 for the ultimate daily driver sports car. I want something endgame if you will, to hopefully end the desire to do aftermarket mechanical mods or trade to another vehicle. I need it to have AWD and be able to run good winter tires. I am unlikely to track the car much if at all. I am a certified audio nut and would likely add sound deadening and aftermarket stereo to anything I get next. I am thinking Turbo S and am looking for some help to make sure this is the right vehicle and to get the build specs optimal.

Questions:
1. Do I spec sport PASM? Forum seems to say go for it. But it is firmer than standard yes? I love the look of the lower ride and would counter that with front axle lift. I would be sad missing that stance if I don't get SPASM. But I'd be even sadder if it turns into another garage queen.
2. Do I spec sport exhaust? Is it the same loudness as the standard exhaust until you hit the button, or is it always louder? My goal would be Jekyll and Hyde. IE I want the quietest possible, but with the option to open it up. I achieved this well in my modded S6. The SharkWerks 991.2 Turbo S I drove recently had annoying drone though, so I am sensitive.
3. Is a base Turbo any quieter or softer than a Turbo S? Is the base suspension and exhaust the same? If they are the same, I'd just take the extra horsepower with the S to counteract adding some aftermarket sound deadening.
4. Can I fit smaller wheels over Turbo brakes than the PCCB? It would be nice to downsize for winter wheels especially.

Other considerations for a daily driver?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2021, 04:57 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

I kinda have the same sickness and sold my 1,000hp Trackwack and AMG GT and patiently awaiting my TTS.
#1 - you kinda laready have the answers from the forum so not much more I can add. If you are coming from a GT4, I would venture to say the SPASM TT will be more compliant. I did buy it as the lower stance is important to me and do not want to mod the car suspension wise.
#2 - search is your friend and I posted after some research that the exhaust is pretty much the same (valved) and you can even get the programming of the PSE done by your dealer. I think it comes downs to aesthetics. I know either does not sound awesome and $4K with aftermarket vendors will lead to a better aural experience.
#3 I believe they are the same but have no proof of it.
#4 i would think you can as the calipers and discs are smaller (10 vs 6 piston / 420 vs 408mm disc in front and 390 vs 380mm disc in back)

Good luck getting an allocation.

Last edited by ER911S; 04-07-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:52 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ Get SPASM! Look at that stance!
From the review: ""Our trial version, with a few options, is priced at around 250,000 euros (and again, the "lift" system was missing on this configuration, but surprisingly we never rubbed it)""
Google translated article/100 more photos: https://translate.google.com/transla...abriolet-2020/

Last edited by coastal; 04-07-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:30 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Drop on SPASM is quite satisfying on top of the great responsiveness. I would take SPASM over PDCC.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

thats the perfect stance
Old 04-09-2021, 12:40 AM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Stance looks lower than stock TTS w/ PASM (lowered 10mm) IMO
Old 04-10-2021, 06:39 PM
turboBEVO
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe I’m a little like the thread starter. I had a 991.1 TTS and it was my 1/2 daily driver (other was AMG E63). After 4 years of ownership, it was just a little too rough a ride for me (and my wife) and so I gradually used the car less and less. BTW, I never tracked that car.

Last spring I ditched it for a 992 C4S, after comparing rides, and it offered a much improved ride to/from the office and was plenty fast on public streets. Then I started tracking the car and felt the pull for extra HP and I ended up lucking into a deal on a black 992 TTS (order fell through) that literally had 1 option (glass roof). While I probably woulda spec’d SPASM, this car didn’t offer it, and knowing the supply issues and waiting 6-12 months, I decided to grab it. To me, even though I’m a detailed dude, the 10 mm isn’t important to the aesthetics (to each his own) but the ride stiffness during the 90+% of the time I’m not on the track is very important.

After about 3 months, 2600 miles including 5 track days, I’m happy w/ the softer ride afforded by the plain ole PASM.

I would not have ordered PSE: I prefer the look of the quad pipes and am not a member of the louder is better fanclub. My C4S had this option and I don’t miss it (but my kids do).

Good luck and enjoy in good health.
The following 3 users liked this post by turboBEVO:
BIGJ (04-10-2021), Chupacabra (04-11-2021), Steve 96C4S (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:43 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Stance is a matter of taste.

Personally SPASM is still a little too tall (I'd prefer an additional 10mm), but I'll take what I can get. Aftermarket suspension is a nonstarter for me on this car.

Quick Reply: Build ultimate daily driver- SPASM? Sport exhaust? Turbo S vs base Turbo?