Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Trading my 992 C4S for 992 TTS allocation - options help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Licensed2bill
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trading my 992 C4S for 992 TTS allocation - options help!

I bought a new 992 C4S off the lot a year ago during the early days of the pandemic. It was a good build (RAS, Sport Package) at a great price when the world was ending. I drove it about 6,500 miles over the past year and tracked it a few times. I attended some local dealer events and stayed in touch and recently got a text from my dealer asking if I was interested in a new TTS allocation. I can trade my C4S for nearly what I paid for it and start fresh with a new build. I have really enjoyed my C4S but am very excited about "upgrading" to the flagship TTS. That being said, I did not spec my first car and have never driven a TTS or had the option to configure one from scratch. The car will mostly be a weekend driver with 4-5 track days a year just for fun, not competitive. Tinkering around on the configurator has been fun but exhausting. I have the aesthetics of the car pretty much set (chalk, Turbo S exclusive wheels in black, glass sunroof, sport design package in high gloss black, black calipers) but would appreciate some advice on the systems options that I am unfamiliar with. I watched Nick Murray's videos of the 992 options and see what his thoughts are. Any quick thoughts on these options I'm considering (must have/take it or leave it/waste of money) would be greatly appreciated:

1. PASM Sport Suspension
2. Power Steering Plus
3. Front Axle Lift System (I live in flat Delaware)
4. Lightweight Noise Insulated Glass
5. Surround View
6. Porsche InnoDrive

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 PM
SLATETT
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 92 Posts

Everyone has their preferences .. for my TTS build I only did 1 and 2 (from your list above) - however, mine is a cab
Old 03-09-2021, 11:20 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

1. PASM: PASM makes the car ride a bit stiffer and nicely tightens up the gaps in the wheel wells - I like it a lot, except at slow speeds on less than perfect roads. Keep the tire pressures set to comfort PSI and it's just right.
2. Power steering plus: You don't need it - it's just software to make the steering easier when you're putting around in a parking lot, I checked the box because it's cheap (for Porsche).
3. Front axle lift: I got this and realized it really isn't necessary. The active spoiler on the TTS retracts far enough out of the way that I never need to use it except maybe if I'm in a parking garage with really steep inclines.
4. Noise insulated glass: I had this on another Porsche and found that the tire noise comes into the cabin anyway, so I opted for the normal glass (which is probably easier to replace if necessary).
5. Surround view parking: I really, really like the surround view parking - if you're pulling into tight spaces or if you are ever afraid of pulling up too far and hitting those high curbs in parking lots it's fantastic.
6. Innodrive: Complete waste of $.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Licensed2bill
I bought a new 992 C4S off the lot a year ago during the early days of the pandemic. It was a good build (RAS, Sport Package) at a great price when the world was ending. I drove it about 6,500 miles over the past year and tracked it a few times. I attended some local dealer events and stayed in touch and recently got a text from my dealer asking if I was interested in a new TTS allocation. I can trade my C4S for nearly what I paid for it and start fresh with a new build. I have really enjoyed my C4S but am very excited about "upgrading" to the flagship TTS. That being said, I did not spec my first car and have never driven a TTS or had the option to configure one from scratch. The car will mostly be a weekend driver with 4-5 track days a year just for fun, not competitive. Tinkering around on the configurator has been fun but exhausting. I have the aesthetics of the car pretty much set (chalk, Turbo S exclusive wheels in black, glass sunroof, sport design package in high gloss black, black calipers) but would appreciate some advice on the systems options that I am unfamiliar with. I watched Nick Murray's videos of the 992 options and see what his thoughts are. Any quick thoughts on these options I'm considering (must have/take it or leave it/waste of money) would be greatly appreciated:

1. PASM Sport Suspension
2. Power Steering Plus
5. Surround View
6. Porsche InnoDrive

Thanks in advance!
Since you wanted opinions:

Step #1 - ignore Nick Murray's advice.

1) Sport Suspension - I think the stance with Sport Suspension is worth getting this option. Lowering the 992 is not terribly straightforward. SPASM is reasonably comfortable IMO.
2) PSP - skip
3) FAL - skip
4) Lightweight glass - people seem to love this. If you plan on tinting, tread carefully. Ideally go to a tint shop that uses pre-cut films instead of razor/filing on the glass
5) Surround View - if it's in the budget, why not? It does add a little camera appendage in the front bumper which may bother you, looks wise
6) Innodrive - skip
Old 03-09-2021, 11:43 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Thoughts Based On My Recent Deep Dive Into The TTS Configurator

1. PASM Sport Suspension
2. Power Steering Plus
5. Surround View
6. Porsche InnoDrive

Thanks in advance!
I just gave my local dealer my 992 TTS spec. I had a 2015 991.1 Turbo S and loved it. I am coming out of a GT3 that I've owned since Dec '17. I bought it in CA where it was a daily driver but here in Old Town Alexandria where there are actually a couple of cobblestone streets (to be avoided), I wanted a car that we could us reasonably often for errands and trips to see our families in upstate NY where we'll travel on highways in really bad condition to get there. I am really excited about the new Turbo S and I'm sure that you will love it. BTW. I spent hours on the configurator, watching YouTube videos and reading car magazine reviews. It was exhausting but I'm really pleased with my build.

I had always enjoyed watching YouTube 992 TTS videos but for my build I specifically Googled PASM-Sport and Power Steering+ YouTube videos and auto magazine articles. Also my Sales Associate and the GM provided some excellent input on PASM+ (they don't order it for dealer-spec'd cars), which is different from what I've seen here that dealers would spec it to raise the MSRP. After a lot of research I decided that for my specific needs, I would not get 1 or 2.

Go to the Rennlist search bar and search for 1 and 2. Alternatively, Google directed me to the right threads. You'll see both sides. Your decision to track the car is important although unless driving at 9 or 10/10th, the standard PASM should be fine. Hopefully you'll receive some clear guidance. My concern was that the ride would be too "jouncy" or "jittery" on all but perfect surfaces - not just potholed, but undulating. Some excellent reviewers cited this, also.

It's great that the new TTS is moving closer to the GT line and for someone going with rear-seat deletion and carbon fiber buckets, PASM-Sport is appropriate. BTW, I never complained about the ride in my 991.2 GT3 even here in Alexandria. It was worth the short-term sacrifice from my home to a good road. But for use more like a daily driver and car for road trips, the TTS should be perfect.

You'll see a lot on Rennlist about PS+, e.g., one owner showed his 2 year-old steering the car in the driveway without PS+; others said: get it if you're going to have double rotator cuff surgery or get it if you're going to let your weak-armed grandmother drive it. After all, the TTS has variable ration power steering. But other posters said they had it and loved it. It would be great if you could drive a similar cars with and without, e.g., two 911, two Caymans (Caymen?), etc.

I would definitely get the Front Axle Lift (FAL) system. The near-instant up/down (~ 3 sec) is great if you're driving and see a drainage swale across the road ahead or need to go into a store with a steep driveway. Some purists don't want to add the weight to the front but it must be trivial percentage-wise on a TTS. It could be a resale issue because so many cars have it if you don't. I use FAL to ensure that I'll clear the "stopping" blocks in my garage.

I can't imagine that the weight difference will be perceptible on a Turbo S, and besides, who wants to reduce the sound of the engine. The tires cause a quite a bit of road noise but I'm OK with that.

Definitely get surround view. I have it on our Cayenne e-hybrid. You can see all corners of the car and surrounding walls, etc. as if you had a drone view. Absolutely mega when aligning the car in a parking space.

I didn't get InnoDrive and I didn't even get Adaptive Cruise because I didn't want the wart on the front of the car. Also, I won't do much long-distance highway driving and the standard cruise control will be fine for longer trips. I had adaptive cruise control in a Mercedes AMG car a few years ago, and it left so much room behind the car in front (and I absolutely do not tailgate or even come close) that it was like having a sign on the back of my car saying "Pass Me". So, a car would pass and then my car would react and slow down when it pulled in front of me until the car ahead moved out of range.

I think InnoDrive functions would be intrusive to my control of the car inasmuch as it's reading the road ahead and making adjustments. It includes adaptive cruise control so for track days, make sure it can be turned off.

I hope that you'll get some clear recommendations along with solid reasons why particular choices were made. In summary, my only Yes's would be 3 and 5. I saved you a lot of money. You're welcome. All the best with your purchase process!
Old 03-09-2021, 11:48 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

With your color combo, I would get the black LED headlamps as well.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:47 AM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

1. PASM Sport Suspension
2. Power Steering Plus
5. Surround View
6. Porsche InnoDrive

Thanks in advance!
So I recently took delivery of my TTS and I have all of these options, so I think I am qualified to respond

1. PASM Sport Suspension: On Bay Area roads it is firm but the ride is actually better than I thought. I had a 991.2 GT3 for a while and the suspension was significantly harsher and firmer in this regard. The 10mm drop is also appreciated. Will get again.

2. PSP: I don't notice it, but it is not that expensive and you can get the dealer to turn it off if you want, so it is a wash either way?

3. FAL: Probably not necessary even with PASM Sport. I thought I will use it more but because of the Turbo's front lip, you actually clear most of the driveways. Might not get again.

4. Glass: I drove a Carrera 4S without it and I think this helps cut down on road noise. Will get again.

5. Surround View: Very helpful when parking. Will get again.

6. InnoDrive. Its good to get if you are using the car as a commuter, but otherwise meh. Depends on your usage.

Quick Reply: Trading my 992 C4S for 992 TTS allocation - options help!