Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

First time Porsche buyer. Thoughts on this build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 PM
jc01
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First time Porsche buyer. Thoughts on this build?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and am considering placing an order for my first Porsche, a 992 Turbo Cab.
I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on my build or regarding this purchase in general.

This will not be a daily driver and will be far nicer than any other car I've owned. I've only dreamt of owning a car like this and am excited for it to become a reality.
Growing up, I always figured I'd go for a Ferrari or something more exotic. After considering all the pros/ cons of each I landed on the 992 Turbo Cab. It just strikes the balance I'm looking for.

I live in SoCal so the cabriolet is a must. I'm also about 99% convinced it should be red. Other than that, I'm open to thoughts and opinions on my build. Budget is around $200k but I don't want to regret not adding an extra $5k in options if they are really necessary.

Considerations:
  • Black vs chalk stitching - leaning towards chalk for contrast
  • Leather vs Sport-tex seat centers - I think I need to go back to the dealer and compare
  • PCCB - planning to skip for cost savings, I don't see the value for my use other than no dust
  • PDCC - planning to skip for cost savings, not worried about slightly less comfort
  • Debating front axle lift but the car isn't too crazy low. Will confirm with local dealer that it's not needed for my driveway/ garage angle.
  • Skipping all driver assistance systems as this is not a DD and I'd rather spend $$ on other options.
  • I love carbon accents, tried to choose wisely without overdoing it (steering, inlays, mirrors)
  • Love the yellow gauges, debating yellow seat belts but leaning towards no.
  • Turbo S ED wheels (I love them but would put me over budget)
Link to build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM17D282

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and what they wish they had known before placing their orders. Thank you!

Old 03-09-2021, 09:22 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

That's a disciplined/restrained build - and you've applied some clear thinking about what matters to you.
The "free" chalk stitching only appears on the seats and the top of the dash and doors, the other stitching won't match. If you want full deviated stitching you have to cough up $3650 more.
The Burmester is a lot of money for the improved (though hotly debated) fidelity and I've found that the car is loud enough to cancel out any benefit - and a cab is likely even worse.
You probably want the "passenger cupholder in leather" since otherwise there's a mismatched piece of plastic right under the passenger's air vent.
Since you like carbon fiber, I'd consider the seat backs in leather w/carbon inlay - I've never liked the plastic seat backs, and you'll see them in your cab if you ever park with the top down.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice build. Not sure I would go for a Burmeister stereo in a cabriolet, but that's me. I would also opt for the black-tip sport exhaust (think it would look nice against the Guards Red).
Old 03-09-2021, 10:03 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I'd have to agree with everything digits writes. I'd add that you might want to steer clear of yellow (or any color other than black) seat belts. Inevitably seat belts will collect moisture and oils from handling them and that will attract dirt. Cleaning them is a real PIA and doing so doesn't help their function should the need arise.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by jc01
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and am considering placing an order for my first Porsche, a 992 Turbo Cab.
I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on my build or regarding this purchase in general.

This will not be a daily driver and will be far nicer than any other car I've owned. I've only dreamt of owning a car like this and am excited for it to become a reality.
Growing up, I always figured I'd go for a Ferrari or something more exotic. After considering all the pros/ cons of each I landed on the 992 Turbo Cab. It just strikes the balance I'm looking for.

I live in SoCal so the cabriolet is a must. I'm also about 99% convinced it should be red. Other than that, I'm open to thoughts and opinions on my build. Budget is around $200k but I don't want to regret not adding an extra $5k in options if they are really necessary.

Considerations:
  • Black vs chalk stitching - leaning towards chalk for contrast
  • Leather vs Sport-tex seat centers - I think I need to go back to the dealer and compare
  • PCCB - planning to skip for cost savings, I don't see the value for my use other than no dust
  • PDCC - planning to skip for cost savings, not worried about slightly less comfort
  • Debating front axle lift but the car isn't too crazy low. Will confirm with local dealer that it's not needed for my driveway/ garage angle.
  • Skipping all driver assistance systems as this is not a DD and I'd rather spend $$ on other options.
  • I love carbon accents, tried to choose wisely without overdoing it (steering, inlays, mirrors)
  • Love the yellow gauges, debating yellow seat belts but leaning towards no.
  • Turbo S ED wheels (I love them but would put me over budget)
Link to build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM17D282

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and what they wish they had known before placing their orders. Thank you!
Sport Tex is a winner. That said, I like the idea of the 930 package being a unique standard feature for the TT/TTS models, so I'd tend to go for standard interior.
Skip the Burmester and get the Turbo S ED wheels.
If you wanted to get PCCBs, then you should go Turbo S, so I agree with you there.
Agree with you on PDCC, FAL, Nannies
The rest of your choices are pure personal taste.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:31 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Decent build - but I'd stay away from yellow accents on a Guards Red car - unless you're an In and Out burger exec or a Ronald McDonald fan. (sorry, had to say it)

Go with the free black w/chalk stitching if you are saving monies - or pony up for the full deviated stitching package. Sport Tex is good to.
Optional seat belt colors are one of my favorite options - go with guards red or chalk - makes the interior pop.
As digits said - get the cupholder in leather - so many people leave this out and have a nice big hunk of plastic where leather should be. (C'mon Porsche really?)
I always get the best stereo in any car - and would definitely tick the Burmester box - that's just me.
I'd dump the carbon mirrors and get the lighted carbon door sills - I just think they add more for the money - besides I always think some jerk is going to rip off the mirror as a Porsche trophy.
I really loath the stock Turbo wheels - and they are so hard to keep clean being so intricate - try for the Turbo S center locks if all possible - great looking and not too much more.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 03-09-2021 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (03-10-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 10:38 PM
jc01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by digits
That's a disciplined/restrained build - and you've applied some clear thinking about what matters to you.
The "free" chalk stitching only appears on the seats and the top of the dash and doors, the other stitching won't match. If you want full deviated stitching you have to cough up $3650 more.
The Burmester is a lot of money for the improved (though hotly debated) fidelity and I've found that the car is loud enough to cancel out any benefit - and a cab is likely even worse.
You probably want the "passenger cupholder in leather" since otherwise there's a mismatched piece of plastic right under the passenger's air vent.
Since you like carbon fiber, I'd consider the seat backs in leather w/carbon inlay - I've never liked the plastic seat backs, and you'll see them in your cab if you ever park with the top down.
Definitely put a lot of thought into what is important to me. Biggest wants are supercar performance in a car that doesn't look like a supercar to the average person.
I don't want the mismatched stitching and it's not important enough to spend $3k on, so black stitching it is.
I'm big on music, may have to go drive some cabs at the dealer with/without to see how it sounds. I didn't even turn the radio on in my first drive
Passenger cupholder - absolutely, good call.
Carbon fiber seat backs would be amazing. I totally missed that option. I do have young kids who will absolutely be back there. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Originally Posted by MrOutside
Nice build. Not sure I would go for a Burmeister stereo in a cabriolet, but that's me. I would also opt for the black-tip sport exhaust (think it would look nice against the Guards Red).
Thank you! I love the black tips, need to think long and hard about whether it's worth the $$ to me. Something else to consider on my next visit to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I'd have to agree with everything digits writes. I'd add that you might want to steer clear of yellow (or any color other than black) seat belts. Inevitably seat belts will collect moisture and oils from handling them and that will attract dirt. Cleaning them is a real PIA and doing so doesn't help their function should the need arise.
Good point, especially on a lighter color like yellow.

Originally Posted by rk-d
Sport Tex is a winner. That said, I like the idea of the 930 package being a unique standard feature for the TT/TTS models, so I'd tend to go for standard interior.
Skip the Burmester and get the Turbo S ED wheels.
If you wanted to get PCCBs, then you should go Turbo S, so I agree with you there.
Agree with you on PDCC, FAL, Nannies
The rest of your choices are pure personal taste.
I drew the same conclusion on the PCCBs. Doesn't make sense to put them on the turbo for me.
You're the 3rd person saying to skip the Burmester, I'm really beginning to question it now.

Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming!
Old 03-09-2021, 11:04 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Don't think badly of me. I have bought enough used versions of the cars I love to share that your intended use of a car you plan to order to spec may very well end up getting sold inside of a year or two. Irrespective of that debate, you might consider ordering features that a second owner might want, or that a prospect may otherwise expect to be part of a car like this. The driver assistance options are pretty progressive for Porsche, and at a minimum I might consider surround view and night vision assist. I wouldn't dismiss them all. That's my point.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:29 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

I love guards red. I am not a fan of white stitching. Black is fine. I like red belts with red seat inserts. Both very inexpensive options. I would opt for leather seat backs and painted inlays. The kids will love it and so will you every time you bring the seat backs forward to let them climb in the back.

The following 2 users liked this post by redyps:
Andrey Goncharov (03-11-2021), Steve 96C4S (03-10-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:34 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Domer911
Don't think badly of me. I have bought enough used versions of the cars I love to share that your intended use of a car you plan to order to spec may very well end up getting sold inside of a year or two. Irrespective of that debate, you might consider ordering features that a second owner might want, or that a prospect may otherwise expect to be part of a car like this. The driver assistance options are pretty progressive for Porsche, and at a minimum I might consider surround view and night vision assist. I wouldn't dismiss them all. That's my point.
It's a fair point, too. I got all of them and have a couple regrets. I'd personally rank them in this order:

1) lane change assist - I've had this on 3 different 911s - it's alerted me to cars that have "popped up" in my blind spot several times already - I like to think of myself as an alert driver but it has proven to me that I'm not as alert as I think I am.
2) night vision assist - I thought this was a waste - but I had it in a different P-car and it alerted me to a pedestrian crossing the street in time to hit my brakes. Amazing. I ordered it on my 992.
3) surround view parking - I use this constantly, it makes parking a breeze - especially when pulling into a parking lot and worrying about crunching the front spoiler by pulling in too far and hitting a curb. I did fine in the past without it, though, so it's not critical.
4) ACC - I use this on long road trips, but it's not ultra important to me, just nice to have sometimes.
5) Lane keep assist - I hate this one - I have it and I just turn it off.
6) Innodrive - complete waste - I have it and have no explanation for why I was so dumb.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
It's a fair point, too. I got all of them and have a couple regrets. I'd personally rank them in this order:

1) lane change assist - I've had this on 3 different 911s - it's alerted me to cars that have "popped up" in my blind spot several times already - I like to think of myself as an alert driver but it has proven to me that I'm not as alert as I think I am.
2) night vision assist - I thought this was a waste - but I had it in a different P-car and it alerted me to a pedestrian crossing the street in time to hit my brakes. Amazing. I ordered it on my 992.
3) surround view parking - I use this constantly, it makes parking a breeze - especially when pulling into a parking lot and worrying about crunching the front spoiler by pulling in too far and hitting a curb. I did fine in the past without it, though, so it's not critical.
4) ACC - I use this on long road trips, but it's not ultra important to me, just nice to have sometimes.
5) Lane keep assist - I hate this one - I have it and I just turn it off.
6) Innodrive - complete waste - I have it and have no explanation for why I was so dumb.
what color is the car in your avatar, Digits?
Old 03-09-2021, 11:56 PM
jc01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Decent build - but I'd stay away from yellow accents on a Guards Red car - unless you're an In and Out burger exec or a Ronald McDonald fan. (sorry, had to say it)

Go with the free black w/chalk stitching if you are saving monies - or pony up for the full deviated stitching package. Sport Tex is good to.
Optional seat belt colors are one of my favorite options - go with guards red or chalk - makes the interior pop.
As digits said - get the cupholder in leather - so many people leave this out and have a nice big hunk of plastic where leather should be. (C'mon Porsche really?)
I always get the best stereo in any car - and would definitely tick the Burmester box - that's just me.
I'd dump the carbon mirrors and get the lighted carbon door sills - I just think they add more for the money - besides I always think some jerk is going to rip off the mirror as a Porsche trophy.
I really loath the stock Turbo wheels - and they are so hard to keep clean being so intricate - try for the Turbo S center locks if all possible - great looking and not too much more.

Good luck with whatever you choose...
WHY oh WHY did you have to mention McDonalds??? I really wanted that Yellow tach!!

I always get the best stereo too and the one time I didn't I regretted it.

Re: wheels...Probably a question I can find the answer to, but I'll ask it here just in case. What's the biggest disadvantage to the centerlocks? Could somewhere like discount tire change a flat if I was in a pinch, or does it have to go to Porsche?

I won't think badly of anyone for making suggestions, that's why I asked!! You bring up a great point.

I do plan on keeping this car for a very long time, but by the time I do sell it most everyone will be used to the conveniences / assistance systems. I may have to reconsider the surround view at a minimum.

Originally Posted by redyps
I love guards red. I am not a fan of white stitching. Black is fine. I like red belts with red seat inserts. Both very inexpensive options. I would opt for leather seat backs and painted inlays. The kids will love it and so will you every time you bring the seat backs forward to let them climb in the back.
That is gorgeous, but I'm afraid I'd get tired of the red inserts. My oldest is obsessed with red (probably gets it from my love of red cars), so there's no doubt she'd love the red interior.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

what color is the car in your avatar, Digits?
Heh, I'm not exactly sure since I seriously messed around with that avatar photo on my ipad to make it look... unnatural. The actual color is forest green metallic. I posted a closer to reality photo of the color here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post17266895
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jc01
WHY oh WHY did you have to mention McDonalds??? I really wanted that Yellow tach!!

I always get the best stereo too and the one time I didn't I regretted it.

Re: wheels...Probably a question I can find the answer to, but I'll ask it here just in case. What's the biggest disadvantage to the centerlocks? Could somewhere like discount tire change a flat if I was in a pinch, or does it have to go to Porsche?
For the Centerlocks - you have to take a look at the whole picture. The 992 does not have a spare tire - just a tube of tire sealant/inflator. If you're in the middle of nowhere - you might have to use it. If the leak is really bad or the tire is destroyed it won't help and it will most likely have to be towed. You can have it towed to a local tire shop - where they probably can't do much except order a new tire (they won't have them in stock most likely) - but this is a mute point as they probably won't have the knowledge to work with the centerlocks anyway. Even if you didn't have centerlocks - you would still be waiting for a tire for day(s).

Most likely for a tire replacement you will have to tow it to a Porsche dealer as they most likely will have a tire in stock and know about the centerlocks. Point being the standard 5 lugs do have a bit of advantage (everyone knows how to deal with them), but if the tire is destroyed - that is the limiting factor - not the way the wheels are held on.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Have you looked at the Boxster or Cayman 4.0 GTs? You said this is your first Porsche. The 992 Turbo Cab is a great car, but as with all of the 992s on the larger size and more expensive.

Quick Reply: First time Porsche buyer. Thoughts on this build?