Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Turbo vs Turbo S power difference all software?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:34 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Turbo vs Turbo S power difference all software?

Is anyone aware of any mechanical differences between the Turbo and Turbos S?

If you wanted to avoid PCCBs and planned on tuning the ECU anyways would the Turbo have any disadvantage relative to the Turbo S?
Old 03-08-2021, 01:40 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Compressors on the turbochargers are larger by 2mm (61mm vs 59mm). Turbine wheel size is the same at 55mm.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post17142696
Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by frankchn
Compressors on the turbochargers are larger by 2mm (61mm vs 59mm). Turbine wheel size is the same at 55mm.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post17142696
Good find, thank you! This sounds familiar, they used a 2mm compressor wheel upgrade on the 991.2 TS to bump power over the standard Turbo. The 991.2 TS boosted 3psi higher than the Turbo for their 40hp difference. If memory serves me correctly the material of the wheels was upgraded on the 991.2 TS as well from cast to billet or forged or something. No mention of that on the 992 TS.

With that being said I would assume software is *mostly* responsible (4-5 psi more?) for that 70hp gain over the Turbo. Looking forward to seeing what tuners can extract from the Turbo and results compare to the Turbo S. I would bet they are shockingly similar.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:46 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by but did you die
Good find, thank you! This sounds familiar, they used a 2mm compressor wheel upgrade on the 991.2 TS to bump power over the standard Turbo. The 991.2 TS boosted 3psi higher than the Turbo for their 40hp difference. If memory serves me correctly the material of the wheels was upgraded on the 991.2 TS as well from cast to billet or forged or something. No mention of that on the 992 TS.

With that being said I would assume software is *mostly* responsible (4-5 psi more?) for that 70hp gain over the Turbo. Looking forward to seeing what tuners can extract from the Turbo and results compare to the Turbo S. I would bet they are shockingly similar.
Yeah, I don't think it should be an issue tuning a Turbo to match the power levels of the stock Turbo S or higher.
The following users liked this post:
but did you die (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:54 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it should be an issue tuning a Turbo to match the power levels of the stock Turbo S or higher.
Of course if you don't care about voiding your warranty...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:29 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Can’t really compare modded to stock. You can take that stock 992 turbo S and mod it and it will beat your modded 992 turbo.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:54 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
No really true, finding out some dealership offer tuning and with warranty, some will install performance parts. Talk to your dealership service if that is a concern, they will tell you what they will cover and will not
Old 03-08-2021, 07:52 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
No really true, finding out some dealership offer tuning and with warranty, some will install performance parts. Talk to your dealership service if that is a concern, they will tell you what they will cover and will not
I haven’t been able to find a dealer that will tune a car or even have the experience to do it. Have to tune a lot of cars to cover the cost of one blown engine or transmission. When I traded my 991.2 turbo s the dealer made me remove all modes other than exhaust. This included sending the ecu back to and have tune removed. Took the tech a few seconds to see the tune. They couldn’t certify the car with Porsche and didn’t want anything to do with it with the mods/tune. It was a total PITA.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
My local dealers offer no tuning with warranty.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:19 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

For sure Champion Porsche in FL will offer you a tune with warranty intact.

ER911S (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 AM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by redyps
Thank you captain obvious. The purpose of this thread was not to discuss the validity of tuning and retaining the factory warranty. That subject is old and tired - it has been been beaten to death on every car forum, for every make and model, since the advent of the internet.

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Can’t really compare modded to stock. You can take that stock 992 turbo S and mod it and it will beat your modded 992 turbo.
I was not trying to compare a stock TS to a tuned T, I was trying to ascertain the advantages, mechanically speaking, of the TS over the T. Would a tuned TS have a significant performance advantage over a tuned T? More specifically would it have a $32k advantage? Since it seems the only advantage (again, mechanically speaking) is a 2mm larger compressor wheel the reality is if you were to tune BOTH models they would likely be at near parity. The delta in performance outcomes would likely come down to the actual tune, boost, fuel, tires, etc. rather than which car had the 2mm larger compressor wheel.

Now, If the TS had a beefed up PDF, significantly larger turbo, additional cooling or larger intercoolers, aero advantages, etc then the story would be very different.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:05 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Has anyone, after buying a Turbo S, ever wished they just bought the Turbo instead?

No matter how you attempt to objectify the data points and process, value remains mostly subjective and personal. Porsche is VERY good at this!
ER911S (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:34 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Has anyone, after buying a Turbo S, ever wished they just bought the Turbo instead?

No matter how you attempt to objectify the data points and process, value remains mostly subjective and personal. Porsche is VERY good at this!
I agree with all of that...buying any car for this much money is a very emotional decision and Porsche knows how to capitalize on that better than most!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:14 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

As others have said, it truly comes down to personal preferences. I went the lest inexpensive route when I bought my AMG GT. I did the same research you are doing now on the TT vs TTS and bought a GT to save about $14K. It was a no brainer as I knew I was going to install upgraded Mercedes turbos which that saving paid for.
The 32K difference is questionable as there are many options built in the S. Actual difference comparing apples to apples is more like half. Agreed that if you don't want the options like CCB then it's a compelling option.
I personally chose the route of getting the top dog this time as I will only tune the vehicle which will be warrantied by the dealer. 1gunner is right on point when he said that you will rarely have someone wonder if they should have gotten the base when they got the S. Food for thought.
To each his own, you can't go wrong with either choice.
Pics are mandatory when you get it though

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Turbo S power difference all software?