Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Has anyone replaced their OEM tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 04:13 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by DTup
Let me ask this question .... are people switching tires for real substantive reasons, or just because they want to? I have to imagine that given the ton of engineering that was done to get this car’s performance to where it is, there was a healthy amount of time spent in choosing proper tires. Why would they send cars out with junk tires? Doesn’t make sense to me, but given this thread I’m legitimately curious.
I don't think the OEM tires are junk (I have the Pirellis myself), but people might want a different set of compromises for their tires compared to what Porsche had in mind. For instance, if I went to the track more often, I would probably swap the Pirellis for a set of Cup 2s -- more grip on the track for less usability/more tire wear on the street.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:18 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Let me ask this question .... are people switching tires for real substantive reasons, or just because they want to? I have to imagine that given the ton of engineering that was done to get this car’s performance to where it is, there was a healthy amount of time spent in choosing proper tires. Why would they send cars out with junk tires? Doesn’t make sense to me, but given this thread I’m legitimately curious.
For me, I got my '13 911 C2 cab with new winter tires on (bought it late January), but the previous owner showed me the summer tires he had (mounted) and they were pretty much done and cracked in places. So, now I'm looking to see if go with OEM Pirelli PZero (N0) specs, or as others are saying the Michelin PS4S (also N0 spec) is the way to go. For me, I'm not looking for cheapest tires of course, or I'd get like some crazy $160 tires that I've seen offered in the 911 size. I want what most feel are the "best" road tires. I'm not tracking the vehicle, and even if I did, I'm not going to test my 911 close to the limits. I'm sure if I went oem P0, that they would probably be plenty fine for my needs.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:21 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
I don't think the OEM tires are junk (I have the Pirellis myself), but people might want a different set of compromises for their tires compared to what Porsche had in mind. For instance, if I went to the track more often, I would probably swap the Pirellis for a set of Cup 2s -- more grip on the track for less usability/more tire wear on the street.
Exactly, I can't believe that the P0 would be "junk" as some say. It's probably just not the right tires for the more aggressive and daring users. If I was going to track my car, and more than once a year, I would just get exclusive separate rims and Cup2. Swap over when it's track day and switch back to the daily road tires for the other 80% of time.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:35 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

Had 3 tts come with Pirelli's, when I added power to the cars they would spin, and pushing them in corners they would slide, switching to first Pilot Sports, before 4s's came out, then 4s's, had no traction issues anymore, and lost that sliding in hard corners. Maybe it's the roads I drive on, but the difference was night and day, or maybe it's the way I drive.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:15 PM
Tumbleweed
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 119 Posts

Porsche, and other manufacturers, select tires based not only on the vehicle but also on what they feel the owners want. One of the reasons the new TTS tires were selected is because Porsche feels the average TTS owner will want to use his car more for the road & in many weather conditions. I however will only drive in dry weather & also on the track so PS Cup 2 tires are for me!
Old 03-16-2021, 11:19 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd love to mount the Cup 2 tires but with the rain we get here in MN I'd be scared to drive it.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
I'd love to mount the Cup 2 tires but with the rain we get here in MN I'd be scared to drive it.
You live in snow country! TTS is AWD , I live in SW FL. Talk about heavy rain. Absolutely no issues in te rain with MSC2.

Last edited by Karl911; 03-17-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their OEM tires?