Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Do I need PASM Sport Suspension on my 992 TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Harry East
AutoX

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Do I need PASM Sport Suspension on my 992 TTS?

I have ordered a 992 TTS. It will be a car what I will drive as a hobby, not daily car, just to have a choice for now and then for some rides when I’m driving alone (mostly business wise).
I won’t drive on a track, so mostly highway and country side roads. Maybe will use it once a week.

Now the car is still flexible for some weeks (production week 11), I get some doubts about an option I haven’t taken, the PASM Sport Suspension.
My feeling is, it won’t add a lot to me, it only will make it less “comfortable”, so I don’t need it.
But is that true? Or can you adapt it inside the car, so switch it on, so the suspension gets 10mm lower? Or is this standard 10mm lower and more stiff if you have this option on your car?

Popular Reply

05-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Domingos
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I know the PASM vs SPASM has been debated a lot around here.. But I'm going to try to ask from a technical side perspective.

My Mayfair and Hatfield SAs in the UK keep saying: "SPASM comes with its negative, and that is that the ride is certainly a lot more stiffer, even in everyday normal drive mode."
I asked them why they say that, and then they say they haven't even driven a 992 Turbo...

PASM:

SPASM:

If you look at the official images above, the rebound stage zone in SPASM is actually larger than the one in PASM ! (More inclined tho, but still larger!)
Only the compression stage zone in SPASM decreased in comparison with PASM, but as you can see the compression zone is still not very different from one to another - when you compare it with the 991.2 then, yes, the difference is abysmal !

Because "stiffness means different things to different people" and some talk about it without even having driven the cars, as anyone in here driven by now the 992 PASM and SPASM (preferably in the UK) and could you please shed some light on if the 992 SPASM truly is "a lot more stiffer" than the 992 PASM? Because from the charts it does not look like that big of a difference.. And those charts are just for the rear axle, but that's exactly where the SPASM introduces new helper springs and has more mechanical changes. The front axle does not even that, so I would say the characteristic curves' difference from PASM to SPASM should be lower than in the rear axle.

In the end, if the 992 SPASM is really 'a lot more stifffer' than the PASM, then I will go for PASM (I won't track it often and it is going to be a DD). But, if like the charts show, the difference between both in comfort mode is that small, and especially when you add tires running on comfort air pressures, then I would definitely go for the SPASM and enjoy those much better looking -10 mm !

So, has anyone by now driven the 992 PASM and SPASM to confirm the charts' small difference, or with the remaining mechanical tunning the SPASM really is a different world to PASM (even given the above comfort assumptions)?
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,208 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry East
I have ordered a 992 TTS. It will be a car what I will drive as a hobby, not daily car, just to have a choice for now and then for some rides when I’m driving alone (mostly business wise).
I won’t drive on a track, so mostly highway and country side roads. Maybe will use it once a week.

Now the car is still flexible for some weeks (production week 11), I get some doubts about an option I haven’t taken, the PASM Sport Suspension.
My feeling is, it won’t add a lot to me, it only will make it less “comfortable”, so I don’t need it.
But is that true? Or can you adapt it inside the car, so switch it on, so the suspension gets 10mm lower? Or is this standard 10mm lower and more stiff if you have this option on your car?
Can't speak to the TTS, but (for what it's worth) the ride on the Carrera S is perfectly acceptable with SPASM.

That said - I will say the look of SPASM is really good... it closes up the wheel gap nicely.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
motown (01-10-2021), Tumbleweed (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:30 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,212 Likes on 563 Posts

From everything I have read thus far, S-PASM is a meaningfully stiffer suspension setup: shorter springs with higher rates and damper tuning optimized accordingly to match. To clarify, it is not an adjustable ride height, it is lower and stiffer all the time.

If you favour a more comfort oriented bias, I would definitely recommend skipping this option.

From the press release:
Two different chassis variants are also new: while the standard PASM chassis offers a greater spread between sportiness and comfort, the significantly firmer, electrically controlled 10 mm-lower sports suspension benefits the agility of the new 911 Turbo. Its set-up is aimed at enhancing the car’s dynamics and provides even more stability in high-speed driving, such as when the vehicle is used on race circuits.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-10-2021 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harry East (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:34 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
From everything I have read thus far, S-PASM is a meaningfully stiffer suspension setup: shorter springs with higher rates and damper tuning optimized accordingly to match. To clarify, it is not an adjustable ride height, it is lower and stiffer all the time.

If you favour a more comfort oriented bias, I would definitely recommend skipping this option.
Helper springs in the rear not shorter. Stiffer anti roll bars. And yes, always 10mm lower, not adjustable.
Harry East (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Simon H
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you are using it on the country lanes, a more compliant, slightly more supple ride would soak up the bumps better, allowing more rapid progress ?. Too many cars have too stiff a suspension set up, as most think its the way to go, but is it ?.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:04 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 637 Posts

SPASM gives you the perfect ride height but really no no advantage on the road.

Its quite firm for bumpy country roads and can give you the occasional exhilarating hop!
westcoastj (08-18-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:04 PM
motown
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 96 Posts

I am sorry but lower is better. Obviously I don't want it poorly engineered so much that it scraps a wheel well or bounces around as you drive. I have seen tuners lower their JDM cars to the point they are useless.

I love a lower car and lower the better. Looks better. Purely visual. Cant see why you wouldn't with a TTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by motown:
Overdraft (02-18-2023), Tumbleweed (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:13 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redyps
Helper springs in the rear not shorter. Stiffer anti roll bars. And yes, always 10mm lower, not adjustable.
How do you lower the ride height without shortening the springs?

Also, if you add helper springs without shortening the main springs, you will raise the car, not lower it .

My understanding of vehicle suspension in general is that helper springs are needed when the main springs are shorter and stiffer to prevent them from coming out of position when the suspension is unladen past a certain point.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:17 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by motown
I am sorry but lower is better. Obviously I don't want it poorly engineered so much that it scraps a wheel well or bounces around as you drive. I have seen tuners lower their JDM cars to the point they are useless.

I love a lower car and lower the better. Looks better. Purely visual. Cant see why you wouldn't with a TTS.
Lower is also better because it reduces the amount of weight transfer which improves ultimate grip.

On the other hand, it limits wheel travel and often forces the use of stiffer springs to avoid bottoming out, which makes the ride less comfortable and also reduces grip on bumpy surfaces. In vehicle dynamics, everything is a tradeoff of some sort.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-10-2021 at 01:36 PM.
quale (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:07 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
How do you lower the ride height without shortening the springs?

Also, if you add helper springs without shortening the main springs, you will raise the car, not lower it .

My understanding of vehicle suspension in general is that helper springs are needed when the main springs are shorter and stiffer to prevent them from coming out of position when the suspension is unladen past a certain point.
Just echoing what I was told when I asked my SA.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:36 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 270 Posts

I dont know if you NEED it, but I have it, and it is perfectly fine. It is very smooth on the highway, perhaps a bit 'jumpy' on real rough pavement, but overall very happy with the 'stiffness' (no pun intended).
Old 01-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 637 Posts

Worth the improvement in stance alone.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
997usa (01-10-2021), motown (01-18-2021), Overdraft (12-27-2021), Tumbleweed (01-19-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:25 PM
thunderhill
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

There IS a ride difference between PASM and SPASM, especially on California roads. Also, SPASM requires the front axle lift in most city areas.
In my opinion, you would care about the look for only several months because you forget about the 1cm clearance after that.
I am pretty happy with SPASM but I've seen some people sold theirs due to the harsh ride after several months of ownership.
Harry East (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:43 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

I am coming from a '19 GT3RS that is both a DD and track car. I have become weary of being catapulted out of my seat on average city streets and regularly activating the front end lift when worried about driveway approaches. You are correct that the satisfaction with the lowered look fades after a while and the desire for convenience and flexibility wins over. So, no SPASM for my TTS arriving in a couple of weeks. It's a street car after all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Salj:
Brrrrot (07-15-2022), Harry East (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,208 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Salj
I am coming from a '19 GT3RS that is both a DD and track car. I have become weary of being catapulted out of my seat on average city streets and regularly activating the front end lift when worried about driveway approaches. You are correct that the satisfaction with the lowered look fades after a while and the desire for convenience and flexibility wins over. So, no SPASM for my TTS arriving in a couple of weeks. It's a street car after all.
Respectfully disagree. Personally - I never really get over the look of a car. In fact, flaws bother me MORE with time, not less.

For some of us, ride quality in a sports car is probably on the bottom of the priority list, even for a daily driver.

I think if one is having this much trouble with approaches, I doubt SPASM is a make or break deal. You need FAL regardless in that event. Of course, it's entirely dependent on where you live if this is necessary. I used to daily drive a GT4 and managed without FAL, though it could be a pain. Of course that car is MUCH lower than a TTS.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-10-2021 at 07:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
peterdouglas (02-21-2021), stetty (01-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Do I need PASM Sport Suspension on my 992 TTS?