Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

What's your Breaking In strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts
Default What's your Breaking In strategy?

Happy New Year to all...

3 days in with my TT and about 500km on it so far.

Dealer advised against cruise control only and I have painfully self-imposed some reasonable rules for the first 1000 to 1500 km.
  • Driving in mostly in manual mode to shake up the RPMs
  • Make sure the engine and oil temp are up before going above 3000 (that's never gonna change)
  • Avoiding bouncing it off the rev limiter
  • No launch control
  • Early oil change?
Are you "driving it like you stole it" or taking it easy for a specified period of time?

I know, done to death on 992 forum, but not sure if there are additional considerations with TT/S?

Last edited by Pad Bender; 01-02-2021 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

My car is still sitting at Emden, but I plan to do something similar to you.
  • No cruise control to vary RPMs
  • No launch control (launch control will bring your engine to redline anyway)
  • Engine and oil temp are OK before pushing the car at all
  • For first 300 miles, don't go above ~4000rpm then increase by 500 rpm every 150-200 miles till redline. This is a variant of what AP recommends for GT car break-in.
peterdouglas (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:50 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Porsche recommendations - any contrary evidence?

I would be interested if anyone has any documented, authoritative evidence why one should *not* follow Porsche’s break-in recommendations.
(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendations.

(Not just anecdotal reports)

Last edited by peterdouglas; 01-02-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I will definitely be doing an early oil change.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:15 PM
UTPorsche
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I took it easy for about 150 miles and then beat the crap out of it.
One of my good friends is a Porsche shop foreman and said that was the best way to do it 😉
Same "break in procedure" for all my cars and I've never had an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by UTPorsche:
Tumbleweed (01-03-2021), TustinJim (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 07:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

I followed Porsche's recommendations on my 991.1 launch edition, but did an early oil change cause it couldn't hurt.

Everything bedded in (engine, trans, suspension, brakes) and its been mechanically flawless ever since.

With a TT I'd follow factory recs in an attempt to avoid losing my license as I learned about the car!
Old 01-02-2021, 07:53 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Good reminder. Im gonna bed the brakes tomorrow...
Old 01-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Rockin
AutoX

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never followed “break-in” procedures and I think I have had some of the better cars when it comes to others. It’s an old wives tale to break in cars. Back in the day pistons and rings had to “seat”. Today, technology and metals ended that. I’ve been building engines and racing cars and you break a motor in the way you intend to personally drive it. Every engine builder I know says the same thing. If you drive hard, break in hard. If you don’t, then don’t, but then don’t turn into a max rpm guy 3 yrs down the road.

You only ever hear about break ins on high performance cars and I personally think that’s the manufacture just getting newbie people acclimated to the car so they don’t wreck it. BMW on their f90 M5 limited power until you came in for the 1200 mile service which also unlocked launch control and it had nothing to do with the engine. Just to get used to it.

Early and often oil changes, and a magnet on the oil filter and you are good to go. Run it hot!

Last edited by Rockin; 01-02-2021 at 08:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rockin:
CarmineGT3 (01-02-2021), Tumbleweed (01-03-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:23 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
I would be interested if anyone has any documented, authoritative evidence why one should *not* follow Porsche’s break-in recommendations.
(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendations.

Well, the US owner's guide has specific directives (< X rpm for Y miles) while the German owner's guide just says to "prefer longer driving distances, avoid frequent cold starts, and avoid high speeds when the engine is cold" during the first X km.

Given that there are no mechanical differences between US and German cars (except for the OPF), it is not unreasonable for some owners to just follow the guidelines in the German owner's guide instead of the prescriptivist American one.

Last edited by frankchn; 01-02-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Because life is too short for break in.

Originally Posted by Rockin
I have never followed “break-in” procedures and I think I have had some of the better cars when it comes to others. It’s an old wives tale to break in cars. Back in the day pistons and rings had to “seat”. Today, technology and metals ended that. I’ve been building engines and racing cars and you break a motor in the way you intend to personally drive it. Every engine builder I know says the same thing. If you drive hard, break in hard. If you don’t, then don’t, but then don’t turn into a max rpm guy 3 yrs down the road.

You only ever hear about break ins on high performance cars and I personally think that’s the manufacture just getting newbie people acclimated to the car so they don’t wreck it. BMW on their f90 M5 limited power until you came in for the 1200 mile service which also unlocked launch control and it had nothing to do with the engine. Just to get used to it.

Early and often oil changes, and a magnet on the oil filter and you are good to go. Run it hot!

I tend to agree with this. There is no real science to any of this stuff. No hard data to support the practice. Frankchn's post above highlights this -- the discrepancy between Euro and US break in procedures suggests the lawyers had a hand in it.

I'll will give it a tank of gas to shake down any problems. ALWAYS warm it up completely before hammering. I'll avoid cruise control for the first few hundred miles (mostly because that one is easy).

In my experience, Porsches like to be driven hard. They work better that way. Puttering around and practically lugging the engine during break in doesn't necessarily make a ton of sense for breaking in a high performance engine.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-02-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Tumbleweed (01-03-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:40 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UTPorsche
One of my good friends is a Porsche shop foreman and said that was the best way to do it 😉
thank you - do you have any actual data to report:
any documented, authoritative evidence why one should *not* follow Porsche’s break-in recommendations.
(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendations

Last edited by peterdouglas; 01-02-2021 at 08:44 PM.
1320 (07-24-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:41 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UTPorsche
thank you - do you have ANY actual data to report:
“any documented, authoritative evidence why one should *not* follow Porsche’s break-in recommendations.
(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendations”

Old 01-02-2021, 08:47 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rk-d
Because life is too short for break in.

I tend to agree with this. There is no real science to any of this stuff. No hard data to support the practice. Frankchn's post above highlights this -- the discrepancy between Euro and US break in procedures suggests the lawyers had a hand in it.

I'll will give it a tank of gas to shake down any problems. ALWAYS warm it up completely before hammering. I'll avoid cruise control for the first few hundred miles (mostly because that one is easy).

In my experience, Porsches like to be driven hard. They work better that way. Puttering around and practically lugging the engine during break in doesn't necessarily make a ton of sense for breaking in a high performance engine.
any documented, authoritative evidence why one should *not* follow Porsche’s break-in recommendations.
(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendation

Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Happy New Year to all...

3 days in with my TT and about 500km on it so far.

Dealer advised against cruise control only and I have painfully self-imposed some reasonable rules for the first 1000 to 1500 km.
  • Driving in mostly in manual mode to shake up the RPMs
  • Make sure the engine and oil temp are up before going above 3000 (that's never gonna change)
  • Avoiding bouncing it off the rev limiter
  • No launch control
  • Early oil change?
Are you "driving it like you stole it" or taking it easy for a specified period of time?

I know, done to death on 992 forum, but not sure if there are additional considerations with TT/S?
I’ve been driving like I stole it...
Old 01-02-2021, 09:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

(including oil change, rpm limits, brakes and (manufacturers’) tire recommendation
Does Porsche have any documented, authoritative evidence to support break in?

Quick Reply: What's your Breaking In strategy?