Just took delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 03:49 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ilian11
Thanks!

Majority of top wheel manufacturers can accommodate center lock or 5 lug, but not all tire shops can and neither can I.

My primary reason for 5 lug was I switch between Winter and Summer wheels. Feels silly having to take them to dealer to get them swapped twice a year. I can easily swap all 4 wheels in my garage in 30 min or so with no added hassle. Additionally, if I ever need to take a wheel off for whatever reason, I can do it, unlike with center locks.
It would be silly to go to the dealer to change wheels because they have centerlocks I swap wheels all the time in my garage before I track my RS. Easier than 5 lug. Jack and torque wrench is all you need. In the trunk you have the socket..

Last edited by ggreg911; 11-18-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:56 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I have to admit I'm drawn to the design of these 5 lug wheels but part of me would feel strange not taking advantage of the S-specific centre locks. Are there any hidden benefits to the centre lock construction such as lower weight or stronger wheel hubs?
stronger, more clearance for larger discs, easier and quicker to change.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:18 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Agentorange
That painted bumper and sport design package is on point! Nicely done
I agree. Love that finished look. WOW that car looks good. Congrats!

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Beautiful car. I really like the rear fascia underside painted body colour-gorgeous. I didn’t see that as an option when goofing around on the configurator...did your dealer do it?...Or factory....is it the same material?.....and is it protected with film?
That can be done with sport design or packages.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:13 PM
ilian11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

With respect to everyone who "prefers" center locks, I disagree with all of you due to real world practicality of the 5 lug hub. Stronger this stronger that, it is all irrelevant in the real world. I prefer real world practicality over LeMans cool factors, but to each their own. Center locks are more complex, have more parts/pins and its a procedure, not to mention tools aren't readily available.

So unless you track your car, with a pit crew and are looking for a shorter pit stop, I don't see the point. For my version of the real world, I dont get the point of centerlock on the street. Just my personal simplistic opinion on the matter.

Admittedly, if you have the right equipment and after doing the wheel changes a few times it would get easier, but either way you are loosing real world practicality that comes with a traditional 5 lug configuration. Congrats no one else can take your wheel off but you, few rennlisters, and the dealer.

To me the real world disadvantages outweigh the track advantages.

Bottom line is, center locks, just like the ignition key on the left side of the steering column, pay homage to Porsche Racing heritage and that's all it is. One isn't better than the other.

If you dont know why the ignition key is on the left side of the steering column, it is so because LeMans race starts with the driver outside of the vehicle. The idea is, as you get into the car, your right hand on shifter/steering wheel and left hand on ignition, so you can do two things at once and get off the line quicker. No practical reason for it's location besides that. Same goes for Centerlocks.

The above is just my opinion anyone is welcome to disagree. Which ever way you configure your vehicle, neither is wrong, worse, or better. Depends on your priorities.

Originally Posted by motown
I agree. Love that finished look. WOW that car looks good. Congrats!

That can be done with sport design or packages.
Thank you and yes, its part of the configurator...

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Beautiful car. I really like the rear fascia underside painted body colour-gorgeous. I didn’t see that as an option when goofing around on the configurator...did your dealer do it?...Or factory....is it the same material?.....and is it protected with film?
See screenshot below.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:28 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

I ordered the CL on my TT simply because I preferred the look of the S alloys. Checking my local tool shop and they have both 3/4 breaker bars and torque wrench. Wasn’t sure if the CL socket comes with the car as standard or if it’s ordered as an extra ?
Old 11-18-2020, 05:29 PM
ggreg911
Racer

The center lock removal procedure (no pit crew needed):
1. Remove socket from trunk (Porsche provides the magic device...its in the truck)
2. Place said socket on torque wrench (this special tool can be purchased online from Amazon)
3. Loosen center lock
4. Jack up car
5. Remove wheel and replace
6. Place center lock back on wheel.
7. Drop car
8. Torque to 450lbs

* embarrassing to have to post this but people who are clueless need to be corrected.
The following 5 users liked this post by ggreg911:
Agentorange (11-18-2020), CGT000 (11-19-2020), ER911S (11-19-2020), Ernesto Otero (11-18-2020), P4bombers (08-06-2021)
Old 11-18-2020, 05:40 PM
ggreg911
Racer

"Stronger this stronger that, it is all irrelevant in the real world. I prefer real world practicality over LeMans cool factors, but to each their own"

Lets discuss this:

1. If I am buying a car capable of 200+ mph ( i know i am the rare breed that do intend to drive this car at high speed) I want the strongest wheel configuration possible...very relevant in the real world to me.
2. is a TTS with 640hp really a "real world practical car"...I don't think so.....there are hundreds of other cars that are much better for those seeking "practicality" over "LeMans cool factor"
Old 11-18-2020, 05:49 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
"Stronger this stronger that, it is all irrelevant in the real world. I prefer real world practicality over LeMans cool factors, but to each their own"

Lets discuss this:

1. If I am buying a car capable of 200+ mph ( i know i am the rare breed that do intend to drive this car at high speed) I want the strongest wheel configuration possible...very relevant in the real world to me.
2. is a TTS with 640hp really a "real world practical car"...I don't think so.....there are hundreds of other cars that are much better for those seeking "practicality" over "LeMans cool factor"

I gotta agree with that - if you want practical you can just take the bus
Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

The center lock removal procedure (no pit crew needed):
1. Remove socket from trunk (Porsche provides the magic device...its in the truck)
2. Place said socket on torque wrench (this special tool can be purchased online from Amazon)
3. Loosen center lock
4. Jack up car
5. Remove wheel and replace
6. Place center lock back on wheel.
7. Drop car
8. Torque to 450lbs

* embarrassing to have to post this but people who are clueless need to be corrected.

I'm clueless....glad to be informed

....i'm just trying to figure out how its more difficult than 5 lugs, when there is only 1 item to loosen ?? .....simple though it may be....i'm glad you posted it
The following users liked this post:
ER911S (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 05:58 PM
ilian11
Rennlist Member

Lets discuss this:

Of course a 911 isnt the most practical. I'm talking about real world general practicality. Everyone who has this car can go 200mph+ regardless of their lugs. Neither car will fall apart or wheels come off. We will all reach our destination and sip beers regardless.

p.s. I think you missed where I was going with the "pitcrew" , you dont need one to do a tire change obviously. I'm stressing the point that it's a professional racing thing that's tricked down to every day 911 for no apparent reason. To you or me, there is no real world advantage one way or the other. You may prefer one way or the other, but your performance advantage does not exist... and neither does mine. Difference is anyone can take off my wheel, not everyone can take off your wheel, therefore, impractical lol... honestly it doesnt matter.

Last edited by ilian11; 11-18-2020 at 06:23 PM.
ER911S (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 06:03 PM
ilian11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RD16RR
I'm clueless....glad to be informed

....i'm just trying to figure out how its more difficult than 5 lugs, when there is only 1 item to loosen ?? .....simple though it may be....i'm glad you posted it
Read the manual, a few more things in there you have to pay attention to. I dont recall exactly because it's been years, but you have to align, there was a pin or click to pay attention to. Big *** torque wrench, tighten, loosen, retighten. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The process with added equipment, bit impractical to me. Someone that's done this more recent can prolly chime in better.

Edit to avoid misunderstandings... I'm not saying its a complex process, once you do it once or twice, isn't much to it at all.

Last edited by ilian11; 11-18-2020 at 06:13 PM.
992.tts (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 PM
ilian11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
I ordered the CL on my TT simply because I preferred the look of the S alloys. Checking my local tool shop and they have both 3/4 breaker bars and torque wrench. Wasn’t sure if the CL socket comes with the car as standard or if it’s ordered as an extra ?
Comes with the car. Lift the plastic under your trunk, it there.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:23 PM
Johnny_C
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Any advice on who make a good torque wrench? I just looked on Amazon as suggested. There are countless options. It seems the 450+ Pounders start above $300. They range to well over $10K. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_C
Any advice on who make a good torque wrench? I just looked on Amazon as suggested. There are countless options. It seems the 450+ Pounders start above $300. They range to well over $10K. Thanks!
This will work just fine. Don't over think this. Unless you're going into the business of working on these every day, this will work just fine. $175 from Amazon.com

Amazon Amazon
ER911S (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 09:04 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

that color reminds me of the arctic silver (or was it polar silver?) metallic of the 997.1 series.

Quick Reply: Just took delivery!