Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

My final build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:55 AM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts
Default My final build?

After having switched, literally, 40 times (!), I think I have finally settled on Chalk, after my 16 year old son gave me his 'nod of approval'.... well, he was more like the tiebreaker.

I was convinced initially I wanted Gentian, then black, then Dolomite, then chalk, then night blue, then silver, now chalk.

Below my build.https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=PM9DBFT7
Based on feedback on other threads, I have added & subtracted some options I felt were good & not worth it. Welcome the citique.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Morning,

I finalize next week and certainly appreciate how important the teenager approval is...

Initial impressions...Great color and clean build.

Few small comments:

-911 on back and sides is somewhat redundant. Badging on sides looks sharp on Chalk
-Consider Race-tex sun visors
-LCA ?

Cheers...
Old 09-01-2020, 09:27 AM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Pad! Appreciate the feedback.

- 911 on back & sides - I agree; I really like the sides though so want to keep those; I may change 911 on the rear to body color
- Race Tex Visors - agreed - they are actually on order via another source to get them without any of the stickers
- LCA - I am not a big fan of the electronic gimmicks, but will re-consider it.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by 997usa
Thanks, Pad! Appreciate the feedback.

- 911 on back & sides - I agree; I really like the sides though so want to keep those; I may change 911 on the rear to body color
- Race Tex Visors - agreed - they are actually on order via another source to get them without any of the stickers
- LCA - I am not a big fan of the electronic gimmicks, but will re-consider it.
I was thinking the same about the visors...the stickers are so unsightly. Looks like its 1300 for visors without sticks from Suncoast...https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skualc992c.html

Is that the best option?

I chose LCA and any option that makes it less likely for my wife to crash it...literally my greatest fear!

Last edited by Pad Bender; 09-01-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Johnny_C
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice color choice in the end! Same here.

The only thing I may reconsider is the upgraded nubbin. I originally selected the upgrade myself, but my salesman warned me that the aluminum gear selector gets quite hot. Otherwise, I think it's more attractive in a stand-alone sense.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:34 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_C
Nice color choice in the end! Same here.

The only thing I may reconsider is the upgraded nubbin. I originally selected the upgrade myself, but my salesman warned me that the aluminum gear selector gets quite hot. Otherwise, I think it's more attractive in a stand-alone sense.
Considering it and now curious why it would it get hot? Lighting is LED sourced.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Johnny_C
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Considering it and now curious why it would it get hot? Lighting is LED sourced.
I should have been more clear, sorry. When the car sits in the sun, that particular surface heats up more than anything else you come in contact with. It's not to do with an internal heat source. I take note when a dealership tries to talk me out of an option, so I unchecked that box and will take the girlfriend out to a few nice meals instead.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:21 AM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_C
I should have been more clear, sorry. When the car sits in the sun, that particular surface heats up more than anything else you come in contact with. It's not to do with an internal heat source. I take note when a dealership tries to talk me out of an option, so I unchecked that box and will take the girlfriend out to a few nice meals instead.
I have the upgraded nubbin. Haven't been parking the car in the sun so can't confirm yet but I did notice that it can get very cold from the AC vents, depending on which direction they blow. To be honest though, it's not a big issue for me and I do prefer the look.
The following users liked this post:
997usa (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 08:45 AM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the upgraded nubbin looks so much better. I will 'deal' with the cold or the heat, just for the upgraded look.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:25 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats on the build. About to put my order soon and Crayon it will be as well.
Since you asked for opinions:
  • mirror in exterior color - takes out the contrast. I am debating between regular and carbon as all gloss black N/A. Seems like you like it since you also added the slats in exterior.
  • side air intake in gloss black should be added since your wheels and trim is.
  • Not sure what the lightweight glass is all about. Seems like a gimmick to me but please share your thoughts. I am actually waiting on the rear seat delete and weight saving (removal of sound deadening) option as I would like more engine sound in the cabin.
  • Not a fan as the badging on the side and since you took turbo s out in the back, I would leave it out on the side as well. Mine will be "debadged" as well with just 911 in gloss black in the back.
  • under light projector: love or hate but inexpensive and only at night.
  • Porsche logo in rear in gloss black. Struggling on this one as the name disappears but I do not like the aluminum finish as nothing else has it exterior wise.
  • Stone guard in black. Adds contrast and a wink to the old 930.
  • power steering plus especially if you are going to track the car or live in a city with tight space.
  • LCA a must.
  • Do you really need ACC? It's a sports car...
  • storage package: free
  • smoking package: free and handles my lose coins or keys (can be removed)
  • heated steering wheel: free or with carbon touch (you look at it when you drive and it takes out the cheap plastic).
  • If you do the CF on the SW, then switch the sills to CF (not that much more).
  • Vehicle key painted is a nice touch and you always carry it (delete seat belt trim in Race Tex to offset the cost)
  • Burnester updgrade. You spending 200K, what's another $4K lol? I am going to try both this week end and will report back.
  • pedal and foot rest in aluminum.
  • Delivery experience is cool if you are close LA or ATL.
  • Finally roof box is a must. JK but it looks cool lol.
When is your build slot?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Johnny_C
Advanced

Originally Posted by ER911S
Congrats on the build. About to put my order soon and Crayon it will be as well.
  • power steering plus especially if you are going to track the car or live in a city with tight space.
When is your build slot?
I'm curious as to why PSP is a good option if you're going to track the car. Are you talking about a tight busy autocross course or a bona fide track? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:30 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ER911S
  • mirror in exterior color - takes out the contrast. I am debating between regular and carbon as all gloss black N/A. Seems like you like it since you also added the slats in exterior.
  • Not sure what the lightweight glass is all about. Seems like a gimmick to me but please share your thoughts. I am actually waiting on the rear seat delete and weight saving (removal of sound deadening) option as I would like more engine sound in the cabin.
  • Not a fan as the badging on the side and since you took turbo s out in the back, I would leave it out on the side as well. Mine will be "debadged" as well with just 911 in gloss black in the back.
  • Porsche logo in rear in gloss black. Struggling on this one as the name disappears but I do not like the aluminum finish as nothing else has it exterior wise.
  • LCA a must.
  • heated steering wheel: free or with carbon touch (you look at it when you drive and it takes out the cheap plastic).
  • Vehicle key painted is a nice touch and you always carry it (delete seat belt trim in Race Tex to offset the cost)
  • Burnester updgrade. You spending 200K, what's another $4K lol? I am going to try both this week end and will report back.
When is your build slot?
    • >> I agree, but I have aftermarket (DB Carbon) CF Mirror Caps so this will add back the contrast; I would opt for high gloss black, but that still adds a chalk part (under the mirror) which will then be out of placee
    • >> mmm.
    • >> Primarily for roadnoise, which is allegedly quite pronounced
    • >> mmm
    • >> I would take it if it were just a light; but I do not need PORSCHE shining on the ground.
    • >> Yeah, black on black, you miss the letters completely;
    • >> mmm.
    • >> I heard the opposite is true, that people do not like the PSP
  • LCA a must.
    • >> have since added it.
    • >> No, but I like the emergency braking functionality
    • >> never used it before. Clutters up the cabin
    • >> I have an aftermarket CF steering wheel and it looses its warranty if connected; I took the heated steeringwheel off as to not throw any unforeseen errors.
    • >> No matte CF in my car.
    • >> Agree, but will buy the $20 aftermarket one.
    • >> Don't like to look in the primarily black cabin.
    • >> yeah, will look more into it.
Build slot is 10/20; delivery 12/31
Old 09-05-2020, 05:50 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

• Not sure what the lightweight glass is all about.
    • >> Primarily for roadnoise, which is allegedly quite pronounced
      • >> Agreed but someone noted it muffled the engine noise a bit so I am struggling it with this option.
    • >> I heard the opposite is true, that people do not like the PSP
      • Thanks for the feedback. I will remove it then.
    • >> No, but I like the emergency braking functionality
      • I actually have this on my Benz and Jeep and hate it. If you are a bit aggressive on the streets and try to squeeze into a spot, it is very dangerous as it will brake for you. Not sure how intrusive the Porsche ACC is.
    • >> Agree, but will buy the $20 aftermarket one.
      • Thanks for the tip. Can you share where to buy it?
Build slot is 10/20; delivery 12/31
Cool, you have a few weeks left to close down your choices. must be exciting. I can have a build slot in October or November but contemplating a Euro delivery so might have to push this to 2nd quarter of next year for better weather.

Quick Reply: My final build?