Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Lane change assist and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lane change assist and PPF

Does any one have a 992 Turbo S with lane change assist (LCA) that has also had a full car Xpel (or similar) PPF installation, including the rear bumper.

If so have you had any problems with the system. I have a car awaiting PPF and have been informed that the PPF can cause issues.

I'm just trying to get an idea of any actual issues in real world use.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 218 Posts

I don't like PPF for the following reasons....

It can get nicked, damaged and can peel. When it does there is no easy way to repair it aside from taking it off and putting a new sheet on - that in itself can cause issues. (lifting clear coat, etc)
When it's nicked a stone pushes the PPF up to form a noticeable "lump" or high spot in it - and you can't easily get rid of it except shave it down and try to make it look good. (Near impossible)

I can easily repair small nicks and chips in the paint to a point where they cannot even be spotted close up. Yes, it takes some time and patience, but to me it is a labor of love - and the result shows.

Has PPF saved some people from minor scuffs - sure depending on the location. Usually I have found that these are pretty rare occasions where the PPF is damaged, but underneath is just fine.
I know one Ferrari owner that had PPF on the hood - got a decent sized rock chip in it - water eventually got underneath it and created a 3" bullseye in the paint - very ugly.

EVERY car that has PPF on it I can find flaws easily - doesn't matter how good the product is or the installation of it - I can find flaws in seconds. Even people that are so proud of their PPF and state
their car is "perfect" - I can walk up to it and find 'em easily.

Exceptions - if you do drive in areas where lots of bugs will be sacrificed, gravel, rocks, etc. It may be of some benefit, but even PPF still can get damaged and when it does, it's hard to fix.
Most of my driving is in the city and some freeways - I don't see the need or want it for this. I get a few rock chips every year - deal with them and get on down the road.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 08-20-2020 at 03:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_boy:
Bluehighways (08-30-2020), smiles11 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:59 PM
zx2001
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do, and I have LCA not available, service required message on start now. I will ask to recalibrate next time I visit dealer, but I guess I will remove ppf from the rear bumper - it's cheaper.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:52 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy

It can get nicked, damaged and can peel. When it does there is no easy way to repair it aside from taking it off and putting a new sheet on - that in itself can cause issues. (lifting clear coat, etc)
When it's nicked a stone pushes the PPF up to form a noticeable "lump" or high spot in it - and you can't easily get rid of it except shave it down and try to make it look good. (Near impossible)

I can easily repair small nicks and chips in the paint to a point where they cannot even be spotted close up. Yes, it takes some time and patience, but to me it is a labor of love - and the result shows.

Has PPF saved some people from minor scuffs - sure depending on the location. Usually I have found that these are pretty rare occasions where the PPF is damaged, but underneath is just fine.
I know one Ferrari owner that had PPF on the hood - got a decent sized rock chip in it - water eventually got underneath it and created a 3" bullseye in the paint - very ugly.

EVERY car that has PPF on it I can find flaws easily - doesn't matter how good the product is or the installation of it - I can find flaws in seconds. Even people that are so proud of their PPF and state

Exceptions - if you do drive in areas where lots of bugs will be sacrificed, gravel, rocks, etc. It may be of some benefit, but even PPF still can get damaged and when it does, it's hard to fix.
Most of my driving is in the city and some freeways - I don't see the need or want it for this. I get a few rock chips every year - deal with them and get on down the road.
There are definitely pro's and con's to PPF...generally though, PPF does wonders for modern fragile paint in keeping it looking new without any extra effort. I think it entirely depends on the person, someone such as yourself has no need for it, but any owner who does not want to take the time and energy to constantly fix minor imperfections will appreciate the extra protection PPF provides.

I have owned several vehicles with and without PPF from new. Those with PPF that saw winter roads, fared SUBSTANTIALLY better than those without when it came to front end chips. Two in particular of the same make model (but different generation), one ended with dozens of chips in the 3 years I owned it, the other had only two small nicks after 6 years.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:20 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy

Don’t forget the installers leaving knife marks all around the PPF, into the clear coat & paint

Quick Reply: Lane change assist and PPF