Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

PASM

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:47 AM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing to consider here is what roads you'll be driving. I took my Turbo to Italy and the amount of roads with vertical angles changing fast, including garages and public roads was so big, that I would not be able to approach them with lowered car. With not-lowered I was approaching them with an angle and in some cases my GF was looking from outside if we are fine, and we were literally millimeters from scratching the bumper with FAL enabled. Lowered car would not do that. If you will never take your car to a mounty terrain (Italy, Portugal, etc), you'd be fine. But if you plan, don't take sPASM.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:11 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Why I Chose Standard PASM For My '21 TTS

The 911 before my 992 TTS was a 991.2 GT3 - a daily driver that I frequently drove with the suspension in track mode, especially for interesting on/off ramps, etc. When ordering the TTS, having read a Car & Driver article at the time that complained about Sport-PASM, I asked two people whom I trust. One was the GM of the dealer in CA where I bought the GT3. He is a 992 GT3 owner but for his Carrera 4S daily driver he did not order S-PASM and recommended against it. I was living on the East Coast when I ordered the TTS and I asked the sales manager there - he recommended against it. For many previous sports cars, if there was an option for a sport suspension or "off-road" suspension, I ordered it, but not this time.

I was amazed when comparing the 992 TTS to the 991.1 TTS that I had before the GT3 how much "GT" had been dialed into the new car. I'm driving the same roads here in SoCal (the roads are not perfectly smooth - no frost heaves, but maybe a few tremors) and I think the TTS stiffness is comparable to the GT3. Some of that might be a stiffly sprung chassis to deal with more than 400 pounds more weight. I rarely reach for the PDCC switch to stiffen things up except when charging a corner (gotta get that green left arrow) or on canyon roads and I sometimes push the car hard.

As some have posted, there probably is not a huge difference, but I would be concerned that S-PASM could be brittle or worse "jouncy". If a person is going to track the car or wants the stiffest suspension possible, then S-PASM might be a good choice. Or if they want the lowered look, then S-PASM is an option. But for everyday supercar driving, I think regular PASM is excellent, and let's face it, given buyers' expectations and the ongoing comparisons with other high-end sports cars, Porsche engineers would not release a Turbo S in standard PASM trim if it were not perfection.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:11 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey Cubster4,

Nothing is "necessary." Not a Porsche. Not a Turbo (S). But consider... you are buying a Porsche Turbo (S) for many reasons. What are they? Why aren't you buying a "standard" Porsche Carrera? Or a Macan for that matter? I ordered my Turbo S w/PASM Sport Suspension and did NOT get the axle lift option.

1. Glad I did it. Car does not sit too low.
2. Have not needed the axle lift system yet. Have only bottomed out once since I owned the car (and I have driven in many uphill/downslope/challenged drive ways etc. conditions) - was in a parking lot with extremely high (unmarked) speed bumps that I did not slow down for.
3. PASM Sport suspension... ride is not harsh from my perspective... esp when in normal mode and just cruising the highway
4. I do track my car and I like spirited driving as well... like the suspension in sport mode here (plus the car looks better sitting 10mm lower; it's subtle but you can see it)
5. I have a 981 GTS with PASM (and lower)... and my 981 GTS bottoms out in places the Turbo S with PASM Sport does not. Different overhangs (981 Ibelieve has longer wheelbase and distance from front axle to front spoiler)...

In summary - Sport PASM for me was one of the better options I went with. Feel same about NOT getting the axle lift option. Others may feel differently... but again... what do YOU want?

P.S. My TTS is a daily driver that sees 5-10 track days a year.

cheers,
L76
The following users liked this post:
fstockcarrera (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:39 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I have SPASM and even lowered the car more with Techart springs. Not too harsh at all but I like cars on the stiffer side. Its not even remotely as harsh as my old 997.1 GT3 that felt like riding a jackhammer on Texas roads.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:36 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

My 992 TT serves the dual role of daily driver and track toy. Driving cars on track has been a passion of mine for about 30 years, so track performance does weigh in quite significantly when I spec a car. I am really happy with the Sport-PASM on my TT, it is superb on track. But I have to admit that it can be quite jarring on rougher roads. I am willing to live with the compromised ride on the daily basis for the improved track performance, but I can perfectly understand why some would rather option the standard suspension on their TT/TT-S.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:10 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

What exactly does the PDCC button do??
Old 09-14-2023, 11:41 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Angryinch
There is no “PDCC” button per se. It is really a “suspension” button that toggles the various suspension programs between a more comfort oriented program (Normal) and a more performance oriented program (Sport). It essentially stiffens the PASM damping and, on cars equipped with PDCC, it increases the roll stabilization.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:44 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Here is a brief Porsche video - brief and not too helpful:
. And here is an even more in-depth Porsche description: https://presskit.porsche.de/specials...rung-pdcc.html.

And here is a dealership’s explanation - part technical, part sales: https://www.porschelouisville.com/ho...-control-work/

I am glad you asked. Whenever I toggled the PDCC switch, I thought I was getting more chassis stiffness, but these explanations suggests that PDCC: “offers a more sport-focused setup to deliver track-inspired handling characteristics. Through the use of active electromechanical anti-roll bars, PDCC Sport offers enhanced response for improved performance.

Perhaps what I sensed as a firmer ride was more an increase of chassis stability and rigidity especially when going fast through a corner. There are Rennlist threads where some owners said PDCC feels unnatural especially on the track and for that reason opted for a Turbo as it is optional vs. the Turbo S where it is standard. I have it on my Turbo S and I use it quite often. I like it and am glad I have it. I’ve driven a 992 Turbo S on the track at the L.A. PEC and I didn’t feel any artificial suspension reactions driving hard - I had a good lead instructor!
Old 09-14-2023, 11:55 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
There is no “PDCC” button per se. It is really a “suspension” button that toggles the various suspension programs between a more comfort oriented program (Normal) and a more performance oriented program (Sport). It essentially stiffens the PASM damping and, on cars equipped with PDCC, it increases the roll stabilization.
Good explanation. I just went out to the car (‘21 TTS) to check things out, and, because the toggle switch is over on the passenger side, I hadn’t noticed that besides being labeled PDCC, it also has the typical sport suspension shock absorber icon. And, like the FAL button, it lights up red when activated. The explanation in the quote explains why I feel an increase in stiffness and I now will appreciate the chassis stability aspect more. As mentioned in a previous post, the 992 TTS feels a lot more GT-like than my 991.2, and the ride with or without toggling the PDCC button, feels a lot like my 991.2 GT3.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:59 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Here is a brief Porsche video - brief and not too helpful: https://youtu.be/_D4y7u0lF6I?si=8zSA9KloEnQL7hVd. And here is an even more in-depth Porsche description: https://presskit.porsche.de/specials...rung-pdcc.html.

And here is a dealership’s explanation - part technical, part sales: https://www.porschelouisville.com/ho...-control-work/

I am glad you asked. Whenever I toggled the PDCC switch, I thought I was getting more chassis stiffness, but these explanations suggests that PDCC: “offers a more sport-focused setup to deliver track-inspired handling characteristics. Through the use of active electromechanical anti-roll bars, PDCC Sport offers enhanced response for improved performance.

Perhaps what I sensed as a firmer ride was more an increase of chassis stability and rigidity especially when going fast through a corner. There are Rennlist threads where some owners said PDCC feels unnatural especially on the track and for that reason opted for a Turbo as it is optional vs. the Turbo S where it is standard. I have it on my Turbo S and I use it quite often. I like it and am glad I have it. I’ve driven a 992 Turbo S on the track at the L.A. PEC and I didn’t feel any artificial suspension reactions driving hard - I had a good lead instructor!
@Angryinch asked what the PDCC/PASM button does, not what PDCC does .

BTW, I am one of those that does not like how PDCC feels on track, particularly on bumpy ones or when riding curbs. I find it makes the car feel aloft, like it is floating above the track, and less predictable at the limit. That being said, I find it is a great option to improve ride comfort while still being able to maintain a flat cornering stance for spirited street driving.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-15-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:08 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts

I wrestled with this very issue. On one hand I don't like an overly firm suspension. On the other I like the lowered look of the Sport-PASM option.

I ended up getting the sport suspension and at first I was worried I made a mistake. The ride was harsh. But then I discovered that the tire pressures from the factory are "full load" pressures. If you reduce the tire pressure to "comfort" values then the ride is much, much better. I have mine at 31 psi for the front and 36 for the back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr_Marty:
Mcx (09-19-2023), mhh (09-17-2023)

Quick Reply: PASM