Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Preferred daily driver?
Turbo RWD
38.32%
GT3 Touring
61.68%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

GT3T vs Turbo RWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024 | 01:45 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

manual turbo is a great way for porsche to sell more cars. but is it that different from a tuned carrera with a body kit? the gt3 motor otoh is very special.
Old 09-23-2024 | 01:54 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
manual turbo is a great way for Porsche to sell more cars. but is it that different from a tuned Carrera with a body kit? The GT3 motor otoh is very special.
That's my point, a manual Turbo is not much different from a manual GTS. (more boost, more displacement, and some different aesthetics)
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (09-24-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 01:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
manual turbo is a great way for porsche to sell more cars. but is it that different from a tuned carrera with a body kit? the gt3 motor otoh is very special.
Originally Posted by Bruce R
That's my point, a manual Turbo is not much different from a manual GTS. (more boost, more displacement, and some different aesthetics)
Except for the OEM warranty.

Even if one agrees that the body and chassis differences are insignificant (which isn't necessarily a given for most people), the OEM warranty (or lack thereof) is not.
Old 09-23-2024 | 02:18 PM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by Oileater
i see your point. Yes.

I think some of the other people’s opinions are interesting, but I don’t find it to be that complex. Like most people, I already own a GT3. And I had owned at Turbo S, found PDK to make it the most dull driving experience ever -but miss that big Turbo power in a way that my 992 S manual will never have. And voila. There will be a RWD Turbo option with a manual.
I subscribe to your point of view.

To some extent the "Touring" tag attached to both cars is misleading:
- A GT3 Touring of the 991 or 992.1 variation is not really more road oriented than a standard GT3, we will see if the 992.2 will be different with a specific suspension set-up
- A turbo Touring (if at all like the SC in character) would probably be a Grand Tourer kind of car with a little more involvement on the account of the manual and RWD

We know Porsche is very good at giving each 911 variation its own character and charme.

I would wait for the final specifications of each car to determine if one or the other is better suited for my intended use.

Two points I believe would be warranted: the turbo Touring will not cover ground nearly as fast as the turbo S and would be a little more involving in road driving but on the other hand it would be less visceral than the GT3 Touring and not as competent on track.
It sounds like a compromised car, but it may well be a good compromise.

To me is a car for long road trips without much worry about absolute speed and more tollerable than a GT3 after 2-3 hours of driving.
Old 09-23-2024 | 07:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
So tell us how you really feel about the Turbo
Oh, I love Turbo - it's been my main daily for the last 7 years and I'm on my 3rd one now. I just like it for what it is - a comfortable, agile, and super-capable missile of a daily driver, thanks to AWD, PDK and Burmester. It all fits together - PDK shifts fast so you don't lose boost, AWD makes good use of the prodigious torque and helps smoothen occasional torque surge from rubber-band effect of turbos (although it's very small in the current turbo, it's still there), etc. I just don't see how removing these key building blocks makes it an alternative to a GT3. Yeah, it makes the car compromised, but not in a way that a loud engine compromises listening to music, but rather in a way that having one half-deflated tire would - not characterful, just worse. And it does not bring in any of the goodies that make GT3 special.
Old 09-24-2024 | 03:49 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

yep I'm in this camp..wondering what it will bring that makes it more than just the next level of GTS..if they put the GT3 6spd in then maybe but otherwise a 7spd rwd turbo (or sport classic) is a GTS? I think many of the reviewers of the sport classic said as much
Old 09-24-2024 | 05:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
yep I'm in this camp..wondering what it will bring that makes it more than just the next level of GTS..if they put the GT3 6spd in then maybe but otherwise a 7spd rwd turbo (or sport classic) is a GTS? I think many of the reviewers of the sport classic said as much
That's sort of like saying a 4GTS is no different than a Turbo.

That's clearly not the case, and if one thinks it is then a 992.1 C4S is a just a Turbo in wolf's clothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-24-2024), dave2020 (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 01:43 PM
Deven
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

That's clearly not the case, and if one thinks it is then a 992.1 C4S is a just a Turbo in wolf's clothing.
That brings up an interesting marketing question, because the 'Turbo' designation has now somewhat become a trim designation. Taycan Turbo, Panamera Turbo, etc.

Going back a couple of generations, the Carrera had the 'base' then the 'S' (3.8 vs 3.6 with some extra goodies like larger brakes etc) and then the X51 package. However there was no forced induction and the Turbo was indeed unique because of the Metzger engine..
Going back 1 generation, one could dress up a 4S to match most of what the 'Turbo' gave, except for added displacement. It was all forced induction but with different displacement and boost. As such perhaps not much different than the trim levels in the Carrera in the 997.

People get bent out of shape when saying they can dress a 4S to be close to a Turbo (or a GTS to be close to a RWD Turbo) but unfortunately that is what Porsche has decided to do (and gets away with charging a significant premium for the 'Turbo' designation).
Old 09-25-2024 | 02:56 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Its not no different, its building on the same base though.. I had a Turbo S and while the power is there and the extra level of refinement in the drive was there, it wasn't really that different, not like hopping into a different car...I went back to a 4 GTS and now thats my favorite car in the garage..

shrimp money (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 04:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Its not no different, its building on the same base though.. I had a Turbo S and while the power is there and the extra level of refinement in the drive was there, it wasn't really that different, not like hopping into a different car...I went back to a 4 GTS and now thats my favorite car in the garage..
If I had to pick just one 911 out of the current lineup, it might be a 992.1 C2.

It's just good enough to be a daily without being too boring or flashy.

If I wanted a track toy, I'd probably pick a 765LT instead of a GT3/RS.

If wanted a plush grand tourer, I'd probably opt for a Roma or maybe a Vantage (depreciation notwithstanding) instead of a TT/TTS.

Still eagerly waiting for the 992 GT2 RS ...
AlexCeres (09-26-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 06:05 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I want a Vantage badly but that depreciation is killer..that and the Conti GT Speed..W12...thats the way to go for a plush grand tourer if you could afford that level of depreciation

Old 09-25-2024 | 06:13 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz
I had a Sport Classic and it drove just ok. The 7 speed transmission in the SC was so plasticky and lack of feel, it was miles away from the 6 speed unit in the GT3. Hopefully they put in the 6 speed unit in the upcoming Turbo RWD.
Currently, the 6-speed can't handle the turbo motors' torque. The 7-speed uses the Turbo PDK gear set.

To be honest, I like the feel of the 7-speed with the OE "GT4" shifter

--------

A manual Turbo to me, isn't too far off what a 992.1 GTS manual was but better... not a bad thing.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 09-25-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2024 | 06:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I want a Vantage badly but that depreciation is killer..that and the Conti GT Speed..W12...thats the way to go for a plush grand tourer if you could afford that level of depreciation
I hear you on the Vantage. Especially the previous gen V12 version.

I've been keeping an eye on this one in my backyard. Everyday it gets more and more tempting ...

https://www.jakesmotorcars.com/vehic...ca-id-54497225
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-26-2024), cavemanmoore (10-16-2024)
Old 10-16-2024 | 11:57 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

A less powerful manual RWD GTS is a similar thing no? (yes minus the Turbo bumpers etc.)

'23 manual GTS
Well, with 992.2, a manual GTS can no longer be had…
Old 10-17-2024 | 12:22 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

I loved my Sport Classic, it would have actually made for a perfect daily.
A GT3 Touring is always going to be more dramatic and more engaging.
So I guess it depends on what you like and your use case.

I do worry about not so great drivers in a RWD TT if they turn the nannies off. The SC without nannies had some want to kill you in it getting off the corners, which was in part what made it great. The GT3’s lack of low end torque helps cure a lot of poor decisions as does the AWD in a TTS.

For my part my garage always feels empty with a manual GT car, so I’ve decided to ask for a Touring … and this time my plan is to get sofas, keep it, and drive it in perpetuity.

Quick Reply: GT3T vs Turbo RWD