Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS understeers badly

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024 | 06:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think if you're looking for low speed corner entry rotation (2nd gear, entering hairpins) you're benefitting from the Rake and stiffer sway bar in the rear. From there, I'd be messing with the steering wheel dials...but can assure you that if you're in the -4 range for bump/rebound etc that's gonna suck.

What about the torque vectoring and differential settings? I'd suggest looking there as the solution, and consider the tires / psi etc. 30PSI Hot is definitely a really low temp/pressure for a Pirelli. in the 992 Cup slicks they're running 29PSI hot- but I think you would be starting your sessions at 20-21 PSI and the car will drive crappy when they're that low. The sidewalls for pirelli street tires just don't do anything until you're at 25-26 from previous experience.
Yeah, I also thought about the rake and sway bar, but could not try it track-side this time. I'll have a crew with an alignment rack next time (for racing a different car), so I'll try lowering the front for more rake and maybe going full soft on the front bar.

I'll try higher tire pressures too. I went low because I had Corsas blister in the middle last time I used them on a GT3 at 33-35 psi. But that was over 5 years ago, and these tires seem very different, even though the name is the same.
Old 09-13-2024 | 07:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by GrantG
Front and rear aero elements are synchronized - can’t alter that.
But maybe there's a malfunction, or something not set correctly?
Old 09-13-2024 | 07:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

I looked at the data in Porsche Track Precision app, and wow - it's quite nice! It gives so much telemetry, nearly as much as a real race car.
Old 09-13-2024 | 07:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Paranoia triggered... I hope I can check this without taking the car apart.
Old 09-13-2024 | 07:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Pretty sure there would be a big dashboard warning - that’s a very dangerous condition.
Old 09-13-2024 | 11:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by GrantG
Pretty sure there would be a big dashboard warning - that’s a very dangerous condition.
I'd expect a warning also, but could be something mechanically not set correctly that sensors don't detected.

I never heard of a 992 3RS understeering badly, something isn't right.
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:58 AM
mthreat
Pro

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Paranoia triggered... I hope I can check this without taking the car apart.
you might be able to check it by mounting a GoPro somewhere in the front bumper, if you can get a view of the front aero flap. But yeah I would also expect an error message.
Old 09-14-2024 | 12:54 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I drove a new GT3 RS at Balaton track in Hungary and 2 days at Hockenheim ring and found almost no understeer. I wish I knew what their setup numbers were since it wasn’t my car.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 01:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

With the double wishbone suspension 4WS, PTV and aero, i don't think you are going to get understeer in the car unless the settings are off. To me, my GT3 handles like a mid-engine car.
laguna911 (09-18-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 01:57 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

front bar to full soft, and youre going to want to mess with the tire pressure for SURE...and I second CJ with torque vectoring settings here and maybe even the diff. Oh, and switch to a Michelin cup 2 or even Goodyear R comp...or the NEW Pirelli R comp at least...these corsas just dont do what I think they should though they are fine on a street.
The following 2 users liked this post by sechsgang:
AlexCeres (09-15-2024), C.J. Ichiban (10-03-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 07:01 PM
Dante
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I finally got to drive my 992 RS on track. It's very impressive, but the experience was marred by unexpectedly strong understeer. I'm wondering what was wrong with my setup and how to dial it out.

Here is my alignment setup:

I can't see anything wrong there - does anything seem off? Also, P Zero Corsa N0 tires with about 30 psi front 33 psi rear hot.

I started out with bump and rebound at -4 (guess why - I forgot ) and diff at neutral settings, and the car would not rotate at all, even a quick lift in the middle of a corner that would normally make me spin like a ceiling fan barely tucked the nose in. I even turned off TC to make sure it's not nannies stopping any rotation, but it changed nothing. I remembered about the shock settings only by the end of the day and dialed shocks to 0 bump and +2 rebound, and the car got noticeably livelier on transitions but still would understeer a lot in steady-state cornering.

What am I missing?

Also, some other track impressions:
The OEM brake pads with PCCBs suck! Even my Turbo S had a better brake feel, and it's definitely the pads because everything feels great at lower loads and temperatures. The pads are just not robust.
Cooling is spectacular - I drove with windows up and AC on, on a 90-degree day, and everything was nice and child inside and the engine temps stayed quite low.
Corsas are so-so on the track: vague steering feel compared to sport cups, high wear (3 days will be a stretch for them, if possible at all), and they are too progressive so it's harder to notice when normal slip turns into excessive sliding, which makes it harder to keep the car precisely on the limit. But maybe it's me just being used to slicks - I have not driven a car on road-legal tires on track in over 2 years. In contrast, I liked Corsas a lot for road driving. They are more comfortable than Sport Cups and handle rain much better.
The drivetrain behaved impeccably - just pure joy.
DRS is fun. I was not pushing for lap times, but just pushing the button before every straight seemed to have a small positive effect and gave me something to do with my hands, given that PDK was shifting perfectly, so I did not need not shift via pedals. I could not see the car engaging DRS automatically ever - does it show it somewhere?
The understeer you describe it's not normal since alignment and heights are equal or very close the recommended set-up for track; keeping aside all the external factors which can affect the balance of the car on track (and also the 'internal' such as your pasm/ptv settings etc)...what I immediately notice from your sheet is that the corner weight shows an anomalous value: the maximum difference between front left wheel + right rear and front right + left rear must be 30kg ...and you are around 50, (283+439) - (294+477).
This value should be measured with car with full tank, liquid levels fine, no driver and extra weights, don't know how was your car.

First I would check again alignment and height (maybe something went wrong while doing first time... and values were not reliable), if measure was/is correct...try again corner weight with full tank and no driver, if measures were not correct...do the right alignment/height then corner weight.

Maybe this helps in identifying what's wrong with you car, from my experience 992 RS is almost understeer-free

Last edited by Dante; 09-15-2024 at 07:03 PM. Reason: .
TRAKCAR (09-18-2024)
Old 09-16-2024 | 01:31 PM
drahardja
AutoX

What was your previous track car?
arcamalpha (09-19-2024)
Old 09-18-2024 | 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Max, my setup factory rake, I have zero degree toe in front, not toe out at all and mild camber, lowered -3mm all around, bars in the middle.
Dials -2 comp and reb front and rear, Ring recommended setup absolutely no understeer. My overall experience is that the car rotates much easier because the front is so bity.
As my tires aged (7! days; Experimenting how they do over time) I had to dial out rear diff to keep the *** under the car. When I got the car and looked at the wing, I assumed the front would have trouble keeping up with the rear, but its reversed.
I had to slow down initial turn in because the front is so much pointier.

Tires look like they have never been on track so nicely and evenly worn, 180 threadwear does that I guess, but plenty of grip. But now a few seconds slower then new.

I see nothing wrong, but something is not right.

Yes, at Sebring crazy hot, its amazing how cool it stays with just the one (Big ***) radiator / airflow.
AC on all day.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 09-18-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2024 | 10:44 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

this is a good video showing the steering controls make a big difference

Old 09-19-2024 | 01:09 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Go to CUP2 R. Go back to 0 for bump and rebound. Re-try.

Also where was the understeer coming in e.g. corner entry phase or corner exit phase.

What does your corner entry friction circle look like, is it scalloped in or "round" - download and plot your lat g (x axis) linear g (y axis)

I found the 992 RS does under steer on post apex corner exit when pushed.

Adjust one variable at a time, then re-try.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-19-2024 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: RS understeers badly