Porsche Cary "buying" experience

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Falcon01
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Breen
the check thing doesn’t make sense.
Holding a post dated piece of paper doesn’t mean the car is sold and it would not equate to booking the revenue for the month. A Porsche dealer is a real business, typically run by experienced professionals and driving revenues north of $50m-$90m annually. It is 100% not possible any finance department or GM would even accept a check from a customer they don’t know.

its just not possible.
It has nothing to do with booking revenue from an accounting purpose, it has to do with punching the car and marking it as sold in their system and Porsche's system, which they can do with a piece of paper like a check as that is enough to pass an audit from PCNA for sales incentives if they are audited. Basically, if they sell a certain number of new and/or CPO cars, they get additional bonuses/allocations from PCNA.

Now, internally, they might've needed a few cars to get individual bonuses as sales people/managers. Once again, this goes by the day the car was punched/marked as sold. Whether or not they got funded (loan/wire wise) on that date isn't relevant.

Source: Used to finance and dealer audits for BMWNA.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Breen
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon01
It has nothing to do with booking revenue from an accounting purpose, it has to do with punching the car and marking it as sold in their system and Porsche's system, which they can do with a piece of paper like a check as that is enough to pass an audit from PCNA for sales incentives if they are audited. Basically, if they sell a certain number of new and/or CPO cars, they get additional bonuses/allocations from PCNA.

Now, internally, they might've needed a few cars to get individual bonuses as sales people/managers. Once again, this goes by the day the car was punched/marked as sold. Whether or not they got funded (loan/wire wise) on that date isn't relevant.

Source: Used to finance and dealer audits for BMWNA.
not how it works but okay

congrats on your used car
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Falcon01
Instructor

not how it works but okay

congrats on your used car
I'm not OP, so not sure what you mean by used car or why you're congratulating me.

Explain how it works then. They just wanted to hold onto a check - they're not spotting/letting him take delivery of the car until it clears...But if they're trying to write the contract as Aug 31 to hit their August bonuses/targets, they will need a credit app dated 8/31 or a check dated 8/31 to pass any future audits from the manufacturer, regardless of when the money actually hits their account. A dealer of course would not let you take delivery unless you have a relationship and they trust you or they have money in house (wire, certified check, personal check cleared). But once again, delivery date, contract date and funded date (when the dealer receives money from the bank/customer) can all be different days, or the same day. Depending on the circumstance.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

I really don't understand your thought process. If you like the car and still want it - reach out to the sales guy you were dealing with it. Not sure who called you or why they tried to scare you, probably thinking you would finance (was it suggested) or give them money sooner so they can punch the car for August. But that ship has sailed - they will still sell you the car if you want it. I honestly wouldn't think much about that phone interaction you had with some random person from there.

I would bet that there was some sort of miscommunication somewhere and it can easily be resolved, so not sure why your writing off a whole dealership for what's likely no reason if they hold up their end and sell you the car for the agreed upon amount. I don't think at this point that you're in any position to negotiate any extras like some other's have suggested, you literally haven't been wronged yet.

Call your sales guy. Tell them what happened and ask them whats going on. The call could've come from a different sales guy trying to sell the car to one of his clients so he gets the commission for all we know. Might've been a miscommunication where a manager or someone thought you haven't committed and didn't realize you were put a deposit and were wiring money in a few days. Before freaking out and making a huge thing out of nothing, you should really find out what's going on.

Just my 2 cents.
I've texted the sales guy on Saturday after the phone conversation twice and have not received a phone or text back. They are looking for money for it--I think it's obvious at this time, considering they are listing the car higher than what we originally agreed on.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm not OP, so not sure what you mean by used car or why you're congratulating me.

Explain how it works then. They just wanted to hold onto a check - they're not spotting/letting him take delivery of the car until it clears...But if they're trying to write the contract as Aug 31 to hit their August bonuses/targets, they will need a credit app dated 8/31 or a check dated 8/31 to pass any future audits from the manufacturer, regardless of when the money actually hits their account. A dealer of course would not let you take delivery unless you have a relationship and they trust you or they have money in house (wire, certified check, personal check cleared). But once again, delivery date, contract date and funded date (when the dealer receives money from the bank/customer) can all be different days, or the same day. Depending on the circumstance.
again, they did NOT want to hold on to the check (of course I could have just written the check), they WANTED to cash the check and let it bounce since they money is in the process of moving from my brokerage account to checking. The only way they/he gets credit for the car in August is if the checks gets deposited in August--again, this is what I was told. If they were OK with holding onto the check until the money transfers then cash it, that would have been more than fine with me.

The point is, they agreed to sale me the car in September for the agreed amount after signing the sales agreement and credit card deposit.

Last edited by neurotic; Yesterday at 03:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 140 Posts

Last edited by Spyder718; Yesterday at 10:20 PM. Reason: decided to leave it be...still good luck.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
This car? ---> https://www.porschecary.com/certifie...e14c205468.htm

I'm surprised nobody there asked you to finance it and then pay it off once you get your funds.
This. If they cared so hard, they could float you the money. The whole rather commit check fraud thing is bizarre.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
Breen
Racer

Originally Posted by neurotic
again, they did NOT want to hold on to the check (of course I could have just written the check), they WANTED to cash the check and let it bounce since they money is in the process of moving from my brokerage account to checking. The only way they/he gets credit for the car in August is if the checks gets deposited in August--again, this is what I was told.
this is even less plausible

i don’t trust any of this and I guarantee the leadership at Cary Porsche would have a very different side to the story

Last edited by Breen; Yesterday at 10:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
Breen
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
This. If they cared so hard, they could float you the money. The whole rather commit check fraud thing is bizarre.
its not just bizarre, it’s impossible.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Breen
Racer

I’m telling you the fully funded threshold is the only stage in which a car will get punched as you say into a sold status and get added to the quota. Which is why this entire story either revolves around a totally rogue junior sales person or the OP is not telling the whole story.

No management role would accept otherwise. Its an asinine position you’re taking and clearly indicative that you have no idea what you’re talking about

Last edited by Breen; Yesterday at 10:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
DingoGP
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a great place in the area, go to Southpoint Porsche and ask for Nathan. I have been going there for years and purchased several vehicles from them. If they don’t have what you want now, I am sure they will soon.
Breen (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:27 AM
Falcon01
Instructor

this is even less plausible

i don’t trust any of this and I guarantee the leadership at Cary Porsche would have a very different side to the story
I agree with you here. That makes no sense to me either as they would need to pay a fee for bouncing the check and then their account will get flagged and potentially closed if they do that a few times.

I’m telling you the fully funded threshold is the only stage in which a car will get punched as you say into a sold status and get added to the quota. Which is why this entire story either revolves around a totally rogue junior sales person or the OP is not telling the whole story.

No management role would accept otherwise. Its an asinine position you’re taking and clearly indicative that you have no idea what you’re talking about
When a car is financed, the car will typically be spotted (delivered on the spot), but the bank doesn't instantly transfer the money. It takes a few days typically, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the bank, whether it was e-signed or a wet signature and some other factors. Car would still be punched on the date it was sold, not the date the dealership received the money. Contract date on the buyers order/financing agreement is what really matters. This is my last comment on the matter - I've had over 10 years of experience in the auto sector, both in dealers on the sales side and in corporate - and know what I'm talking about - especially on this specific topic. I've literally audited dealers and caught dealers punching cars that weren't sold yet and then trying to hide them in off site lots. Maybe Porsche does it a bit differently, but I'd bet you if I text my local Porsche GM, he would confirm that they punch cars on contract date and funding date doesn't matter as long as the car is off the floor plan. USAA is super notorious for being hard to work with on the dealer side and taking forever to fund loans, like 20+ days is not unheard of. The dealer will spot the car because they know USAA is good for the money, but they're not delaying reporting a car as sold because of that unless there are other serious issues in the way the store is run.
WernerE (Today)
Old Today, 01:16 AM
Breen
Racer

I agree with you here. That makes no sense to me either as they would need to pay a fee for bouncing the check and then their account will get flagged and potentially closed if they do that a few times.

When a car is financed, the car will typically be spotted (delivered on the spot), but the bank doesn't instantly transfer the money. It takes a few days typically, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the bank, whether it was e-signed or a wet signature and some other factors. Car would still be punched on the date it was sold, not the date the dealership received the money. Contract date on the buyers order/financing agreement is what really matters. This is my last comment on the matter - I've had over 10 years of experience in the auto sector, both in dealers on the sales side and in corporate - and know what I'm talking about - especially on this specific topic. I've literally audited dealers and caught dealers punching cars that weren't sold yet and then trying to hide them in off site lots. Maybe Porsche does it a bit differently, but I'd bet you if I text my local Porsche GM, he would confirm that they punch cars on contract date and funding date doesn't matter as long as the car is off the floor plan. USAA is super notorious for being hard to work with on the dealer side and taking forever to fund loans, like 20+ days is not unheard of. The dealer will spot the car because they know USAA is good for the money, but they're not delaying reporting a car as sold because of that unless there are other serious issues in the way the store is run.
this is his last comment guys

Last edited by Breen; Today at 01:45 AM.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 565 Posts

It’s this kind of dealer antics that are driving some formerly loyal Porsche buyers to other brands…..unfortunately people want these cars and there are no real consequences for dealer or Porsche with these shady tactics….this dealer could care less…..
Old Today, 10:03 AM
Axis
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts

Makes me appreciate my dealer more when I see stories like these.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cary "buying" experience