Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 02:09 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,252 Likes on 492 Posts
Default GT3RS Suspension Programming - GT3 update??

I figured as this mod has now become a reality, I'd start a separate thread so not to clog up the S/T programming thread. After our success programming the S/T dampening into the GT3 chassis ECU, I wondered if we could expand this effort to programming the 992 GT3RS suspension, PTV+, and traction controls into the standard GT3. As many more systems are involved, this was a more complicated task, with a lot more unknowns and risks. Many of the hardware components on the RS are slightly different PNs (shocks for example), so I was unsure if the existing GT3 hardware would accept the RS coding. Short answer - YES!!

1st order of business - in order to take advantage of the RS controls, you must have a RS steering wheel - there is no other way to select and modify the basic settings. I elected to use a spare steering wheel that I had and convert to the RS specification. In order to do this, you will need the following:
  1. Steering wheel controller - 9GT 959 256 A
  2. Steering wheel RS controls - 9GT 998 003 A
  3. Steering wheel trim to accommodate the RS controls.
I purchased all these parts from Protechparts.eu to convert my wheel - he also has pre-configured wheels with all the RS controls, so the easy button is just to purchase a beautiful custom wheel pre-configured and ready to plug and play. The multifunction buttons on the steering wheel are also labeled differently than the GT3 ones, and I did purchase the RS buttons from Protechparts, but it's not necessary. I actually programmed the diamond (Joker) button back onto the steering wheel control as I use this to cycle the exhaust valves on or off. . .

The steering wheel conversion is a pretty simple affair - well covered in this forum. Once the wheel was swapped out, the fun began! All RSs have a newer chassis controller than the earlier GT3s - IE 992 910 376 AF vs 992 910 376 AB in the GT3. I went ahead and purchased the AF controller, but we started with an older spare AB controller that I had. As with the S/T project, the AB chassis ECU won't accept the new coding required for the S/T or RS dampening - thus a firmware update is required. Given the AB hardware, the latest version it can be updated to is the AE PN. Once we updated the chassis ECU to the AE configuration, BINGO - it accepted the RS coding! Thus, NOT necessary to purchase the AF ECU, and the standard GT3 ECU works perfectly fine.

However, there was a conflict between the instrument panel (Kombi) and the chassis controller, and the mode control - ie switching between normal, sport and track didn't work properly. We tried to code the latest RS configuration to the Kombi, but no luck - the firmware wasn't compatible. Thus, we made the decision to flash newer firmware to the Kombi hoping that that would solve our coding problem. Firmware flashing is always a risky business, and the Kombi is the most complicated instrument it seems - the flash takes about an hour and half. When we made the decision to do this, it was about midnight - but I wanted to get this working! Mars and I decided to take the risk to code the Kombi - and thus we started the firmware upgrade. About 30 minutes into it, my computer went to sleep, and crashed the update . . Kombi blank, and wouldn't light up. Yikes - I was certain we "bricked" it . . . however, we got lucky - PIWIS could still see it, even though we couldn't power is on. Thus we started the update again, and about 3AM, if completed successfully. We were able to select all the various controls and everything seemed to work!

This morning, I took it for a drive to test out the functionality - the dampening definitely works - there is a pretty dramatic difference between full soft and full hard. The PTV+ changes are a little harder to detect, but it definitely acts differently when various options are selected. And, the TC / ESC on / off / modulation definitely works. More importantly, there were no faults during the drive. The one thing that seemed weird to me was that the PDK always seemed to shift as it did in Normal mode - IE kind of soft . . and switching to sport of track didn't change the PDK program. The other thing I wanted to sort out is the PCM display - we didn't change this last night, so it didn't show the various options for the RS under configuration.

Thus this evening, we re-flashed the PDK and the PDM . . .they both coded successfully . . no issue. I went for a drive, and still PDK seemed stuck in Normal . .

THEN, I remembered the center button in the mode control ****. . . pressing this brings up the configuration for the various modes. In the GT3, we didn't have the option of selecting different PDK shifting by mode, but in the RS, you can. Turns out in Sport Mode you can select the PDK shifting as Normal or Sport. In Track, you can select Normal, Sport, or Track shifting. Bingo - PDK issue solved.

Drove it around a bit more this evening, and everything works as advertised. The thing with the RS is that you must be in Track mode in order to get the adjustability. However, you can select whatever options while in track mode you want, unlike in the GT3. Also, the RS display is FAR superior to the standard GT3 track display, with tire temps, a 3 line right display in track display, and persistent options - IE once you decide you like the track display, every time you select a mode, your preferences are loaded. . . in my case, I always want track display, and I don't have to toggle it on.

Overall, I really like the RS functionality - the S/T dampening is PERFECT, but the RS adjustability allows you to fine tune the car at a whim . . . very cool. And, the displays are better worked out. The only two gripes I have at this point is I have the RS logos at start up and shut down, which we cannot figure out how to change, and I have an Aero:Error message in white (not a fault, but just a message) that of course you will get as the GT3 doesn't have Aero. . . haven't figured out yet how to code it out.

I'm anxious for you track rats to try this out and see how you like it on the track. . . if I were a serious track addict, I would 100% do this mod immediately. Very minor investment in hardware, and of course you will have to get some of @rnlst_log 's time to code it . . . But I view this as another big win for the home team . . .

Here is the dampening display - crazy amount of adjustability! Activated by hitting the middle button of the upper LH dial - then the 4 ***** correspond to the 4 dials. . slick.

PTV+ - accessed by hitting the center button on the lower LH **** . . then vary setting with the 2 left *****.

This is the ESC/TC display - accessed by hitting the center button on the lower RH ****, the varied with the 2 RH *****.

If you hit the center button of the upper RH **** (mode control), you get this menu where you can configure most of the parameters - in Track, you can set the PDK shift schedule to normal, sport or track . . . cool!

These are the RS controls - available through Porsche, ebay or Protechparts.

The following 13 users liked this post by f4bones:
aarodynamics (08-30-2024), Butzi (08-30-2024), catdog2 (08-30-2024), cyn (08-30-2024), EMdoc (08-30-2024), Jbravo23 (08-30-2024), MaxLTV (08-30-2024), mphtown (08-30-2024), PTS (08-30-2024), Q8yGT3 (Today), rnlst_log (08-30-2024), sensei_tts (08-30-2024), Wind911 (08-30-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:56 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

Congratulations and amazing thanks!
Old 08-30-2024, 09:30 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,786 Likes on 797 Posts

Great work as usual! About the aero message, I think it may be because you have a fixed position spoiler. When I select RS cluster on my car it says Aero : Low.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:54 AM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Newbie question ... No Chance this will work on a turbo S, correct?
Old 08-30-2024, 09:55 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Would love to have these toys to play with, but I have a manual transmission. I would think that a PDK is a prerequisite for this project?
Old 08-30-2024, 11:08 AM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Would it be possible to have the normal mode be the S/T programming, while also adding the adjustability in track mode?
Old 08-30-2024, 11:25 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Newbie question ... No Chance this will work on a turbo S, correct?
Interesting question.
Will look into it.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:26 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have no spoiler controller - thus the message - with the stock spoiler, it might indicate correctly. I think it might work with manual trans - but would have to deactivate all the PTV+ stuff. No, this won't work on a TTS - different transmission and different shocks, suspension, etc. I won't say 100% it won't work, but highly unlikely . . I might try and get the RS display in my TTS though, as I hate the reduced (track) display in the TTS.
The following users liked this post:
Q8yGT3 (Today)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:06 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Good work man!!
Old 08-30-2024, 02:29 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,174 Likes on 626 Posts

Great information but way above my pay grade..
Old 08-30-2024, 04:15 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 296 Posts

Just confirming here. You now have ST dampening mode in normal mode while still having the ability to adjust in Track mode? If this is the case, you might have just built the ultimate GT3.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:40 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

No - right now it's pure GT3RS - IE everything is tuned and acts just like an RS. . . we haven't tried to modify the individual dampening settings, and I kind of doubt that this will be possible. In a prefect world, we would have S/T dampening programing in normal mode, and the fully adjustable RS settings in track . . . but right now, I always drive in Track mode - that way I can adjust all the parameters to whatever style of driving I'm doing. The RS adjustability is amazing in Track mode - you can select every option independently . . .IE Normal PDK shift mode, but track dampening should you want.

Right now it feels very nice with dampening turned full soft for around town driving - still VERY sharp and steering feels very sharp. But I'm anxious for someone to do this mod and take it to the track to really dial in the GT3 and she what she will do with full adjustability . . .
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (Today)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:42 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,163 Posts

@f4bones So which would you choose? This or ST?
Old 08-30-2024, 08:59 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Hi - right now I’m liking all the buttons and the RS display. The ST dampening is perfect for the street - but I think you can get the same result in track mode with the RS dampening yet be able to vary all the other parameters. The RS upgrade is definitely more tunable. Downside is that it requires a minimum of $1500 investment I the ***** and controls as well as a fair amount of Mars programming.

i think the right answer is if you have a manual transmission - go with the ST programming. If you have a PDK and track the car even occasionally - go with RS update. If you have a PDK and are 100% street - go w ST.
The following 4 users liked this post by f4bones:
catdog2 (08-30-2024), Diablo Dude (Today), dixonk (Yesterday), Q8yGT3 (Today)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:10 PM
M-AlTerkait
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking

Congrats that is a great achievement to be able to update Kombi firmware, are you able also to update PCM firmware now? @rnlst_log Maybe we can enable the disabled wifi on my car, lmk.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Suspension Programming - GT3 update??