992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 04:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,561 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I dig newer cars that have throwback attributes to the greats of old, hence my infatuation with cars like the S/T.

I also dig older cars
Did you get an S/T? If so, please describe your impressions of the car.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

There is more to a car than its track times. Most of these high-performance cars have capabilities beyond most, if not all, amateur drivers. It's more about the total package: styling, features, sound, emotional experience(subjective), brand, and value.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:41 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Did you get an S/T? If so, please describe your impressions of the car.
It's coming. Should be here in December
The following users liked this post:
JCP.CA (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 01:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Correct. Worth pointing out the most critical of the 992 are 991 owners. Ask groundhog what he owns
991.2 GT3 RS, 720S, 296 GTB (non-AF) - I had one of the early allocations and decided against it. I was offered a second allocation and said no and also turned down a highly optioned W. pack car with 2,000ks on it. I have owned a lot of Porsche sports cars and done a lot of track time. It just didn't move the game on for me personally, particularly as a road car. No great mystery to it.

I'll see what happens with the 992.2 but will most likely look at the next generation if it really changes the game.
Old 09-04-2024, 01:34 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
I could be showing my age a bit here, but I feel the opposite.... the amount of cool cars in the past 10 years (from all manufacturers) is pretty incredible, and most of these cars are in the 'realistically obtainable' price point for many Americans with a decent job. What other 10 year period has produced so many cool cars?
True there are some great cars out there, the reason I picked up the 296 GTB was because the 992 GT3 RS didn't really do much for me (I'm not saying its not good, it just didn't really move the dial for me personally). I think its become a bit of a recipe, sure a good one but nonetheless a recipe. I just feel Porsche should get back to real basics - weight, foot print, materials, engine, drive train, aero. Would love them to do a clean sheet design GT div. sports car. A high quality, light-weight, mid-NA engined, minimalist sports car, made from quality materials. Merging the best of the Cayman with the best of the 911. Now that would be something.
The following 3 users liked this post by groundhog:
AllAboutThatP (09-05-2024), McNamara (09-04-2024), rezin23 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 01:38 AM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Agree, that's why I tend to prefer turbo cars for the road, e.g. 991 TTS, 992 TTS, McLaren 570.

Porsche NA GT cars need to be wound up to high revs to deliver acceleration, at which point they're quite loud and drawing attention which may be unwanted, and you're likely going too fast. They can't really deliver bursts of acceleration.

If a car isn't going to give me bursts of acceleration, it needs to at least be fun in other ways.
taycan works quite well for acceleration in a straight line - less fun than the GT cars to throw into corners due to the weight though and AWD
Old 09-04-2024, 01:43 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
taycan works quite well for acceleration in a straight line - less fun than the GT cars to throw into corners due to the weight though and AWD
But it sure is fun smoking anyone who wants a 0-60 race off a red light, launch control is a wonderful thing in the Taycan wagon.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 09-04-2024 at 04:24 AM.
M&Abanker4life (09-05-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 01:55 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
I could be showing my age a bit here, but I feel the opposite.... the amount of cool cars in the past 10 years (from all manufacturers) is pretty incredible, and most of these cars are in the 'realistically obtainable' price point for many Americans with a decent job. What other 10 year period has produced so many cool cars?
💯 lots of change, lots of swan songs, lots of new things. A mid engine corvette. A cayman with a gt3 engine. A Dakar. A 911 with more downforce and aero than a 2018 hypercar. Hybrids in the 6 figures closing in on last decade’s 7 figure cars. it’s going to be a great car decade …
The following 4 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Butzi (09-04-2024), GrantG (09-04-2024), MaxLTV (09-04-2024), McNamara (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 02:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,124 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Originally Posted by M&Abanker4life
That's why EVs make for great dailys.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
EMdoc (09-04-2024), M&Abanker4life (09-05-2024), usctrojanGT3 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,861 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Not really, I've owned plenty and raced, on and off, for close on thirty years to a decent level. I like the technical side a great deal and get a lot of pleasure out of that and driving hard in all sorts of competition. Competition is both a mental and physical task, not one or the other - you can't decouple them. Moroever, without data and an understanding of logging you will struggle at any meaningful level of competition, thats just how it is these days even in Cup.

I think Porsche needs to get back to real basics - getting bigger and faster doesn't mean a better or more engaging road car. I would like to see them make a much lighter- weight car from composites, developed chassis up and NA powered. I think the direction they are headed is not inspiring or even particularly interesting, just feels formulaic, its not a bad formula but perhaps they need to think outside of the box.

I guess I used to get excited for a new Porsche, just doesn't really happen any more. It feels like Ferrari are trying to square the circle, McLaren seem a bit stuck (like Porsche - I didn't like the Artura) and Lambo is just being Lambo.

I feel they got so close with the Spyder RS...................................................................... (needs a better roof solution and multi link/wishbone all round, weight reduction - its core is really 981)

PS My son got his first P car, second hand Guards Red 981 base Cayman, only 10,000ks and the original owner massively over specced it (think GTS like interior), anyhow I had a drive of it and really enjoyed it, fish and chips at the pub and drive home. Perhaps theres something to be said for simplicity.
I agree above
by "data" I don't mean telemetry or track perf data. those are useful and I have race track a long long time, until I lost my right eye.
data I meant much of the garbage spew here...
Old 09-04-2024, 04:33 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

True there are some great cars out there, the reason I picked up the 296 GTB was because the 992 GT3 RS didn't really do much for me (I'm not saying its not good, it just didn't really move the dial for me personally). I think its become a bit of a recipe, sure a good one but nonetheless a recipe. I just feel Porsche should get back to real basics - weight, foot print, materials, engine, drive train, aero. Would love them to do a clean sheet design GT div. sports car. A high quality, light-weight, mid-NA engined, minimalist sports car, made from quality materials. Merging the best of the Cayman with the best of the 911. Now that would be something.
sounds like you should try a gt4/gt4rs
C.J. Ichiban (09-05-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 04:53 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
I agree above
by "data" I don't mean telemetry or track perf data. those are useful and I have race track a long long time, until I lost my right eye.
data I meant much of the garbage spew here...
Sorry to hear about your eye, indeed that would make competitive track work virtually impossible and agreed telemetry is fantastic - its the ultimate "truth" you can't hide from it. With 100 Hz data you can see every little nuance of your driving, its both amazing and frustrating at the same time . I can confidently say I have never driven a perfect lap and as you get older and your reaction times drop off, it gets even harder . Probably explains why I'm looking for the ultimate tactile and sensory road going sports car experience. I genuinely believe Porsche is the company to do it, but equally it would be a leap of faith for them.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:00 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
sounds like you should try a gt4/gt4rs
4RS is excellent and a fitting swan song for the 981/982 platform. But looking forward, if Porsche took all the lessons from that platform and merged them with lessons learned from the 992 RS platform we might have a really interesting template, put it through a clean sheet design process..............and I suspect the concept would be fabulous. They may be able to create a new market, rather splitting an old market multiple ways. Just a thought.
rezin23 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 09:06 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,426 Posts

991.2 GT3 RS, 720S, 296 GTB (non-AF) - I had one of the early allocations and decided against it. I was offered a second allocation and said no and also turned down a highly optioned W. pack car with 2,000ks on it. I have owned a lot of Porsche sports cars and done a lot of track time. It just didn't move the game on for me personally, particularly as a road car. No great mystery to it.

I'll see what happens with the 992.2 but will most likely look at the next generation if it really changes the game.
Understood. I do find it interesting that you hone in on track times specifically to make your point that the 992.1 is not leaps and bounds over the 991.2, then state your reasoning for passing on the 992 3RS is because it didn't move the needle for you particularly as a street car. Seems contradictory.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:15 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 969 Posts

You’d have to pay me a salary per drive to choose a Ferrari 296 over 992RS. The digital steering wheel and the UX mess in tach alone require therapy and hazard pay. I drove one and yes it sounds unique and goes like bat out of hell but you look outside and inside of the car and the number of curves, scoops, shapes, buttons (their location of placement) that have absolutely no functional reasoning or purpose is through the roof. The car is all about exaggerated posture. Unlike a mclaren or a porsche where every aspect has been made “that way” for an engineering reason.

I find the number engineering/math degree people in porsche circles much higher and I have yet to meet a person with that background in Ferrari groups. I wonder why.

Quick Reply: 992.2 GT3RS