Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:06 AM
cadster
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
- It will still have the rubbery lifeless steering
- It will still have chevy’s outstanding service network

Its a very (onpurpose) unrefined car by looks with brute force vs elegancy engineering approach (again on purpose). People who buy this car are the people who like the boxy look of an Escalade, over the top look of trucks with lots and lots of shiny chrome all over. Chevy knows their market. The only part of this car that belongs to a same sentence with a Porsche is when we compare lap times.

Edit : GM hasnt been able to beat any of the Porsche nurburgring lap times when cars from both manufacturers within the same time period is compared. They have spent tremendous amount of time with C8 Z06 in Nurburgring (more than all C7 trims combined). The only reason a lap time wasnt posted was because it didnt meet their expectations. I dont think this new ZR1 will beat GT3RS or outgoing GT2RS (would be 6 year old at the time of unveil).

I have extensive seat time and experience in these American super cars (including 2 C7 ZR1s). Tracked them all, put tens of thousands of miles. What they all lack is the same thing - that very last 5-7% that make a 100% perfection from a performance stand point. Americans love marketing and making things “appear” fantastic but not go great lengths underneath the covers (i.e $3M homes that to an untrained eye look like mansions but have fake plastic sidings that look like original stone).

Nurburgring is the kind of track where 93% doesnt cut it. It may and will cut in VIR or COTA but not there. All aspects of the car are stressed tremendously and unless everything works exceptionally well, you are not just cheating your way out of it.

They still cannot figure out active aero. Car is just too heavy, some of those corners in the ring will penalize 4000 lbs and no amount of tires and power can make up time lost. This is more of an “internet” car. Great for people who cant appreciate the difference between refined and unrefined things (not limited to cars but all other aspects in life). Nothing wrong with that - just that I dont see anything Corvette makes a competitor to Porsche unless their competition is limited to a drag strip or a small American track.
I agree with all that, but can we talk about the engine? The new internal combustion TT V8 1,064hp LT7 is simply mind-bending. In the lead up to the ZR1, all the predictions were around 800 plus hp because that was the paradigm set by all the other manufacturers. Of course, GM decided to do more than one up the industry, it decided to destroy all the other manufacturers best and brightest hybrid efforts. Turns out GM doesn’t need electrification and silly electric motors to generate stupendous power. I guess there really is no replacement for displacement…and boost.

Last edited by cadster; Today at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gman3280 (Today)
Old Today, 01:08 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by cadster
I agree with all that, but can we talk about the engine? The new internal combustion TT V8 1,064hp LT7 is simply mind-bending. In the lead up to the ZR1, all the predictions were around 800 plus hp because that was the paradigm set by all the other manufacturers. Of course, GM decided to do more than one up the industry, it decided to destroy all the other manufacturers best and brightest hybrid efforts. Turns out GM doesn’t need electrification and silly electric motors to generate stupendous power. I guess there really is no replacement for displacement…and boost.
We’ll see how reliable that power is. I put 25-26k miles to my C7 ZR1s and both would pull tremendous timing in 3rd gear pulls after 2nd pull. You would need 109 octane all the time to keep producing 755hp. I am not talking about track driving. I am talking about a single 3rd gear pull followed by a 2nd one. If you do it 3rd time, car is down at least 100 hp.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; Today at 01:09 PM.
Old Today, 01:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,632 Likes on 5,099 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I came from American muscle (when it's all I could afford). I've had the 750+ hp RWD hooligan American cars. I've drifted American cars. I've been in American muscle car clubs with lots of seat time in all brands.

It was fun, in my 20s. Once I got a taste of better engineering I never looked for that type of "fun" again. Different strokes. But "slightest hiccup in throttle application and you'd break loose the rear tires" in a car that's attempting to compete with a GT2RS (you're lying to yourself if you don't think Chevy is coming after Porsche with this car), makes no sense to me.

Chevy put an ABSURD amount of money into the R&D of this car. My comment(s) suggested maybe they should've allocated some of that coin to weight loss and driving dynamics and less on building a 1,000+hp non-hybrid powerplant. 200lbs lighter with 150 fewer hp would've still been a hooligan car and could bust the tires loose, but would've been a better driver's car
Let's revisit that statement when the 992 GT2 RS is introduced.

The "last" widowmaker (997 GT2 RS) was never really a driver's car. And the "first" widowmaker (930 Turbo) never even tried to be a drivers' car.

Quick Reply: new gt2rs competition