Sponsored by:

Buying a 992.1 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 07:34 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thHappy
Due to hurricanes and flooding. Yes those events can happen in many places but FL sticks out and gets hammered every year.
Not every year but yes we get 'em but usually miss. Not really that big a deal, if you've lived here a while. If you are in the danger zone you move the car up a few stories and take the next plane to the mountains for a well deserved break. They have these things here called closed shelter parking garages and they work amazingly well to keep cars safe.
The following users liked this post:
Tobeit (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 07:38 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by elvisdoc
Not every year but yes we get 'em but usually miss. Not really that big a deal, if you've lived here a while. If you are in the danger zone you move the car up a few stories and take the next plane to the mountains for a well deserved break. They have these things here called closed shelter parking garages and they work amazingly well to keep cars safe.
what people forget - hurricanes come with many days pre-warning and you can prepare and secure your property. Many other catastrophic events come with little to no warning or little means to prepare - earthquakes, wildfires, mud slides, hail storms, fornados …
Old 06-22-2024, 08:40 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

My two friends in Tampa learned it the hardway, unfortuately.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:54 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Wasn’t the original post about taxes? My registration fees for my Porsches is about $50 a year each. No personal property taxes here on cars like I remember in New England.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:56 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimD
Wasn’t the original post about taxes? My registration fees for my Porsches is about $50 a year each. No personal property taxes here on cars like I remember in New England.
Yea you are right. I found out the car must be registered in residents state, mine being Florida. Sales tax here is 7% which is a wash with Mass being close to that.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:07 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Anybody got any input on whether not having PCCB's are really a deal breaker on a GT3 Touring purchase. Found a great spec but no PCCB's. Was looking forward to no brake dust as most for sale have PCCB's but this one no.....however the stopping power of the regular brakes is still phenomenal on my 23 4 GTS so....?
Old 06-23-2024, 04:20 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Anybody got any input on whether not having PCCB's are really a deal breaker on a GT3 Touring purchase. Found a great spec but no PCCB's. Was looking forward to no brake dust as most for sale have PCCB's but this one no.....however the stopping power of the regular brakes is still phenomenal on my 23 4 GTS so....?
Porsche actually recommends iron rotors for the track. A GT3 with iron rotors is an “enthusiast” spec.
wageslave (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 04:24 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
Porsche actually recommends iron rotors for the track. A GT3 with iron rotors is an “enthusiast” spec.
Yea I have read that before. Burning up the PCCBs on the track would be very expensive. But I don't plan to track it. I just want to drive it. I guess I was just trying to decide if they are really worth it for the daily driver guy. I am thinking they are not.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:29 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Yea I have read that before. Burning up the PCCBs on the track would be very expensive. But I don't plan to track it. I just want to drive it. I guess I was just trying to decide if they are really worth it for the daily driver guy. I am thinking they are not.
Standard none PCCB’s are fine for most of us…just have to deal with the brake dust. You can go with low dust ceramic pads but that will affect brake performance a little but still plenty for daily use. Just feels a bit weird to put low dust pads in a GT3 but nobody will really know and from my experience the difference is small. For track days you want different pads and brake fluid anyway.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:32 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Respectfully sir you are misinformed. I have lived here in Florida 25 years, have been though at least 6 hurricanes here (and 5 more in Texas) and never even came close to ever having a car flood or heard of anyone having a flooded car here. I am sure it happens in hurricanes but certainly not a frequent occurrence in this state. Most of us are smart enough to protect the car and get the hell outta here when a hurricane comes. But maybe I'm just lucky.

It's not only cars from Florida, cars with branded titles from elsewhere are taken to Florida where their titles are washed.

Last edited by malba2366; 06-23-2024 at 04:36 PM.
detansinn (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 04:32 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Standard none PCCB’s are fine for most of us…just have to deal with the brake dust. You can go with low dust ceramic pads but that will affect brake performance a little but still plenty for daily use. Just feels a bit weird to put low dust pads in a GT3 but nobody will really know and from my experience the difference is small. For track days you want different pads and brake fluid anyway.
Good to know. Do you have a brand of low dust ceramic pads you recommend? TIA
Old 06-23-2024, 04:42 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Good to know. Do you have a brand of low dust ceramic pads you recommend? TIA
I use Hawk Ceramics and its great. They make it a little less agressive but still plenty for what I do. Not sure they have them for the GT3 though. Here are my wheels, which are pretty detailed and I can go for weeks w/o worrying to have too much brake dust.

Old 06-23-2024, 04:47 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by malba2366
It's not only cars from Florida, cars with branded titles from elsewhere are taken to Florida where their titles are washed.
So it looks like according to a 2021 study, Florida is only #3 at title fraud. Watch out buying those Nevada 911's! ha.

Last edited by elvisdoc; 06-23-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:00 AM
GatorBait2001
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea you are right. I found out the car must be registered in residents state, mine being Florida. Sales tax here is 7% which is a wash with Mass being close to that.

This is actually incorrect. Florida's state sales tax is 6%. Your county sounds like they are imposing a 1% surtax as they do in my county also. When you register the car you will only pay 6% sales tax AND UP TO $50 maximum in surtax to your county for a vehicle purchase.

https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_lib...t/gt800019.pdf

Last edited by GatorBait2001; 06-25-2024 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:56 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 312 Likes on 165 Posts

That's hilarious. My 4 GTS sleeps in my garage. Guess I better watch out for those Seattle cars cuz I hear they get the most rain every year.

Oops. Florida has more rainfall than Washington (54” v. 38”)

Quick Reply: Buying a 992.1 GT3 Touring