Sponsored by:

Honest GT3RS vs GT4RS opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 12:02 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
This discussion confuses me. Why is it necessary to compare these cars?

but, If taking a car on back road drive would chose the 4RS as its more emotional and makes you laugh.
Even I'm confused on the track talk. The 3RS was and is decades of Porsche Motorspot knowledge literally thrown into a street package.

I started this as clearly stating my personal preference of which was more daily friendly is the 3RS. Then somehow that was contorted into a track comparison.

Nontheless, I can completely agree the 4RS can give you giggles and make you clinch all at the same time.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:03 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,230 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Actually, the distinguishing factor of the GT3 compared to the other two is its manual option (and a shame to miss it)
if using GT3 often as a DE car it’s wise to get PDK because it’s truly unbelievable. But if never going to track always recommend to folks get the manual. It’s so funny, I saw so many GT3s and 718 GT4s/Spyders in Europe last few weeks, basically all of them are PDK. It’s primarily an American oddity this fascination with manual trans on a performance car that sees track time.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,569 Likes on 2,594 Posts

This discussion confuses me. Why is it necessary to compare these cars? Who in their right mind thinks GT4RS is a better track car than GT3RS? As I have said before, GT3RS is an absolute weapon on track, it’s so freaking good. However the GT4 RS punches well above its weight given its under tired, has ancient suspension, lack of rear steer, ect ect. But thankfully both cars have significant amount of tuning capabilities to dial in handling characteristics to suit what you might prefer. For me, if tracking would always chose the 3RS as it’s simply stunning on track, but a caveat would be that to truly explore its party trick (aero car) you need to be pretty skilled and comfortable with carrying speeds into turns. Likewise, to be quick on track with GT4 RS you also have to be very skilled as it’s a handful, have to be comfortable with a car that you need to hustle as it moves around a lot at 10/10s. I mean a lot! Both achieve there lap times in very different ways, and both are an absolute riot. The sweet spot honestly is the 992 GT3 with PDK. This car is so easy to drive fast on track, almost anyone can get this car up to speed comfortably. For 99% of DE drivers this car is perfect and more car than is ever needed.

but, If taking a car on back road drive would chose the 4RS as its more emotional and makes you laugh.
The emotions elicited by a car on the road are really very subjective. I find the 4RS to feel a bit inert on the road, and the 992 GT3 more dynamic and lively. The 4RS is louder, but I like the sound of the GT3 more.

On the track, I like the 991.2 3RS more than the 992 GT3, haven't tried the 4RS on track yet.

If I could have only one of the 991.2 3RS, 992 GT3, or 4RS for road use, at market price, my pick would be the GT3. For track use, the 3RS. For 50/50 road and track use, the 3RS.

I'd like to try a 992 3RS on road and track at some point.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-25-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

if using GT3 often as a DE car it’s wise to get PDK because it’s truly unbelievable. But if never going to track always recommend to folks get the manual. It’s so funny, I saw so many GT3s and 718 GT4s/Spyders in Europe last few weeks, basically all of them are PDK. It’s primarily an American oddity this fascination with manual trans on a performance car that sees track time.
I love the manual on track. I’m both old and American, so maybe that explains it
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
PTS (06-25-2024), thigos (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:14 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,427 Posts

People have different goals and objectives when taking their GT Porsches to the track. Mine is to go as fast as I can but also to have fun. I will not change things in the car to squeeze out a tenth or two. I absolutely love driving manual on the track. Unless I am racing or actually competing there is no need to confine yourself to PDK to enjoy these cars on circuit. As has been said many times, the 992 GT3/RS are very easy to go quickly on track, so why not add a manual to the mix for a touch more challenge/involvement? There is just something about going flat out in a car while rowing gears.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:16 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 988 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Even I'm confused on the track talk. The 3RS was and is decades of Porsche Motorspot knowledge literally thrown into a street package.

I started this as clearly stating my personal preference of which was more daily friendly is the 3RS. Then somehow that was contorted into a track comparison.

Nontheless, I can completely agree the 4RS can give you giggles and make you clinch all at the same time.
Agreed, the guy who posted the Pobst track video derailed the conversation
The following 2 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
BlazinPond (06-25-2024), PTS (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 02:30 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Agreed, the guy who posted the Pobst track video derailed the conversation
Lol. Not even kinda, nor do.ai car which is better on track. Although I am a professional thread derailer!
Old 06-25-2024, 05:49 PM
PaleBlueDot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Drove 3RS and 4 RS today within a few minutes of each other on track for the first time. 3RS mega stable, super confidence inspiring and forgiving - efficient track weapon. 4RS more toss able, more playful and more eager to turn - also soundtrack wise omg! Track was tight so 3RS couldn’t play it’s downforce trick. Considering the 100k price delta the 4RS is a great poor man‘s RS of choice
The following 4 users liked this post by PaleBlueDot:
85Gold (06-26-2024), BlazinPond (06-25-2024), Manifold (06-25-2024), TOporschefan (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 08:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I love the manual on track. I’m both old and American, so maybe that explains it
I do also, but I can't money shift a PDK If I lived in canyon land, it would be manual for me.

Originally Posted by PTS
People have different goals and objectives when taking their GT Porsches to the track. Mine is to go as fast as I can but also to have fun. I will not change things in the car to squeeze out a tenth or two. I absolutely love driving manual on the track. Unless I am racing or actually competing there is no need to confine yourself to PDK to enjoy these cars on circuit. As has been said many times, the 992 GT3/RS are very easy to go quickly on track, so why not add a manual to the mix for a touch more challenge/involvement? There is just something about going flat out in a car while rowing gears.
FLATOUT, THATS HOW I DRIVE.. FLATOUT.

Originally Posted by PaleBlueDot
Drove 3RS and 4 RS today within a few minutes of each other on track for the first time. 3RS mega stable, super confidence inspiring and forgiving - efficient track weapon. 4RS more toss able, more playful and more eager to turn - also soundtrack wise omg! Track was tight so 3RS couldn’t play it’s downforce trick. Considering the 100k price delta the 4RS is a great poor man‘s RS of choice
I'm with the farmer, used GT3RS -> GT4RS
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:36 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I do also, but I can't money shift a PDK If I lived in canyon land, it would be manual for me.FLATOUT, THATS HOW I DRIVE.. FLATOUT.I'm with the farmer, used GT3RS -> GT4RS
FLATOUT... the good old days

Quick Reply: Honest GT3RS vs GT4RS opinions