Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when braking hard (992 GT3 RS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 01:23 AM
ramoq
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Grinding noise when braking hard (992 GT3 RS)

Hello,

- I’m experiencing rough grinding noises when braking hard while at the track.
- It doesn’t feel like ABS, unless the ABS becomes different when braking is more intense, this is pretty loud noise (rough grinding)
- I looked at the pads and rotors, they look fine, first day at the track (post break in period)

Anyone else notice this who has taken their 3RS to the track?

Yes, I will take it to the dealer, but i’m not sure they can repro it as you have to be doing like 150mph and then braking fairly hard.

Old 06-02-2024, 03:16 AM
Rainer K.
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts

I think mine is doing the same .......
Old 06-02-2024, 04:09 AM
arcamalpha
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Tyre rubbing on arch liner?
Old 06-02-2024, 11:37 PM
redpriest
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

You can get rocks stuck between the dust shield and the rotor, take the wheel off, look behind the rotor and see if there's any rocks lodged in there. Alternatively, get a long *** screwdriver and push on the dust shield until rocks come out.
The following users liked this post:
mthreat (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 01:20 AM
ramoq
Advanced

Originally Posted by redpriest
You can get rocks stuck between the dust shield and the rotor, take the wheel off, look behind the rotor and see if there's any rocks lodged in there. Alternatively, get a long *** screwdriver and push on the dust shield until rocks come out.
It's definitely not rocks stuck in the rotor/dust shield, the grinding is too loud and i can feel the vibrations in the brake pedal and steering wheel.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,572 Likes on 5,076 Posts

Guessing your rotors might be warped.

Given the car is so new, probably a defective rotor. If so, then it's just a warranty claim.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:06 AM
ramoq
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Guessing your rotors might be warped.

Given the car is so new, probably a defective rotor. If so, then it's just a warranty claim.
I thought of this, but the odd part is it doesn't happen until you really slam on the brakes, literally no vibrations at all during regular braking or even high speed braking, It only happens when you really get on the brakes (ie. trying to stop very quickly)
Old 06-03-2024, 03:17 AM
arcamalpha
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ramoq
It only happens when you really get on the brakes (ie. trying to stop very quickly)
Which totally fits with it not being the brakes at all. So either tyre on arch or perhaps aero fins on the ground.

what's different with braking hard at high speed? Downforce, ride height and possibly some dive...
Old 06-03-2024, 03:01 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by arcamalpha
Which totally fits with it not being the brakes at all. So either tyre on arch or perhaps aero fins on the ground.

what's different with braking hard at high speed? Downforce, ride height and possibly some dive...
I think the OP can try running in Normal mode (not Sport or Track), and this will keep the wing open (low downforce).. then try braking from 150 to see if the noise changes with less downforce.

I haven't experienced this myself but I'm interested in what's causing it for you.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:31 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Wheel bearing?
Old 06-03-2024, 11:02 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,141 Likes on 609 Posts

I don’t know if you’ve checked the runout in the rotors?
I believe the allowable run out is .002?
you can do it on the car get the wheel off the ground remove it and take a dial indicator.

Last edited by 4carl; 06-03-2024 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:50 AM
ramoq
Advanced

Originally Posted by mthreat
I think the OP can try running in Normal mode (not Sport or Track), and this will keep the wing open (low downforce).. then try braking from 150 to see if the noise changes with less downforce.

I haven't experienced this myself but I'm interested in what's causing it for you.
Experienced the same grinding issue again today at the track. Same story, only happens when you really get on the brakes, you can feel it in the pedal and you hear a 'grinding' noise. I've narrowed it down to when there is steering input and you are braking really hard (although I always do my best to brake in straight line when possible).

I've taken my 3RS to the dealer, they did a full inspection of tires, rotors, pads, nothing, no issue at all.

Can someone with a 3RS please go to the track and do some really hard braking for me please?
Old 07-20-2024, 04:36 AM
lsanc007
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is pretty normal. It's the ABS. I've owned a couple of GT3 992 with PCCB, and when you slam on the brakes fast and hard at 100% pressure, the ABS causes a grinding sound towards the ends of the brake cycle. However this only happens when you truly slam on the brakes full-on and fast to come to a complete stop, which doesn't typically occur in street driving or even track. If the issue is anything but the ABS, you would hear the sound all throughout the breaking sequence, not just at the very end when coming to a near halt, which should be the case.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:29 PM
ramoq
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsanc007
I think this is pretty normal. It's the ABS. I've owned a couple of GT3 992 with PCCB, and when you slam on the brakes fast and hard at 100% pressure, the ABS causes a grinding sound towards the ends of the brake cycle. However this only happens when you truly slam on the brakes full-on and fast to come to a complete stop, which doesn't typically occur in street driving or even track. If the issue is anything but the ABS, you would hear the sound all throughout the breaking sequence, not just at the very end when coming to a near halt, which should be the case.
I drove a 991.2 GT3RS back to back with my 992 GT3RS and the 991.2 does NOT do this. I drove them both at the same track and kept my driving the same. No grinding noise on hard braking.

On the straightaway at my local track I was up to 260km/h and the I'd brake in a straight line to 175km/h in a very short period of time (intentionally) and I would not get any grinding. The grinding seems to be when there's steering input (angle) and you're braking somewhat aggressively. I also get this on the street (on on-ramps from expressway)

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when braking hard (992 GT3 RS)