Sponsored by:

GT3 touring with S/T suspension tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 08:24 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
DSC fixed my 991.1 SPASM ride to acceptable by taking some of the harshness out. I've emailed them to ask
Let us know what you hear back!
Old 04-04-2024, 01:07 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by thigos
Let us know what you hear back!
"Thanks for your inquiry. The 992 DSC controller has been in development. This one is taking a lot longer time because Porsche switched from conventional CAN bus to FlexRay communication. We can tune the dampers themselves easily but full integration to the car is a huge undertaking. At this time we don’t have more info but we are actively working on the development. We aware of the potential market and we know where can make improvements on the damper commands. Please stay tuned to our social media. Tom"

I will be their first customer if I can!
The following 6 users liked this post by Chris C.:
Diablo Dude (04-06-2024), dixonk (04-04-2024), Jbravo23 (04-04-2024), Larry Cable (04-04-2024), PierreTT (06-17-2024), thigos (04-08-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:15 PM
returnedto911
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 20 Posts

Where did you have this done? Dealer? Were they supportive?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have experienced this in the past too.

Good point on the mags being much lighter - overlooked that.
4 lbs. per wheel with the MR wheels.
16.1 lbs. total weight reduction.
$12,500

Manthey Racing Package - 992 GT3 Touring : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 04-06-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:36 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmas99
but you think they look worst than michelin?
i love this look
Pirellis

Old 04-07-2024, 03:51 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
They slowed the front rack down and softened the suspension. Essentially mitigating any harshness or bump steer. Spongy front end with RWS will definitely give the more old world Porsche feel. Just odd people would want to Essentially unwind the advances that motorsport made putting the GT3 together.

I think a user here put it well, the accurate cross comparables would be the Carrera T to the ST. Same path of approach, different power plants.

I don't think it is odd at all really. Think about it, most do not track (this forum is an exception and not a real representation of the market), and just want the image or "the best new thing". This allows them to have it, without having basically a track car with track suspension on non-track public roads, which by and large are not maintained nearly as well as a dedicated track surface.

Modern "track specials" are designed as track car first and street cars second, while years ago, it was reversed. IMO this is a problem. If you want a true track car to track, you should just buy a dedicated track/race car.

Unless you have a really advanced suspension (like McLaren's hydraulic system or GM's Magnetic dampers) you can not have a true dual personality car, you have to pick one or the other. PASM isn't advanced enough or quick reacting enough to be a true dual nature.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:36 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Unless you have a really advanced suspension (like McLaren's hydraulic system or GM's Magnetic dampers) you can not have a true dual personality car, you have to pick one or the other. PASM isn't advanced enough or quick reacting enough to be a true dual nature.
It's quite obvious via many threads/posts that street feel with current GT3 suspension is subjective. I daily drive my Touring and track it multiple times per year and I think it's about as well balanced for both as a car can be from the factory. Last track day was a private rental, drove the Touring there (28 miles each way), put 107 hard laps on the car (9am - 5pm), then drove it home without a single hiccup.

Some people complain the GT3 is too harsh for the street, so if it's not a dedicated track car for them, they bought the wrong car. The fact of the matter is the GT3 is not for everyone, and some people find out the hard way, then complain about it's harshness.
The following 5 users liked this post by PTS:
Diablo Dude (04-08-2024), dixonk (04-08-2024), GT3Laguna (04-10-2024), RealityGT (04-08-2024), UncleDude (07-21-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:44 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
It's quite obvious via many threads/posts that street feel with current GT3 suspension is subjective. I daily drive my Touring and track it multiple times per year and I think it's about as well balanced for both as a car can be from the factory. Last track day was a private rental, drove the Touring there (28 miles each way), put 107 hard laps on the car (9am - 5pm), then drove it home without a single hiccup.

Some people complain the GT3 is too harsh for the street, so if it's not a dedicated track car for them, they bought the wrong car. The fact of the matter is the GT3 is not for everyone, and some people find out the hard way, then complain about it's harshness.
I think the harshness really only shows up at slower speeds. If you do a lot of slow speed crappy surface streets then yeah the car is going to be a pain to live with. Normal roads and normal to high speed and the suspension is just fine.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:57 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

Some people complain the GT3 is too harsh for the street, so if it's not a dedicated track car for them, they bought the wrong car. The fact of the matter is the GT3 is not for everyone, and some people find out the hard way, then complain about its harshness.
I'm sorry, but I think it's a little ridiculous to complain about a GT3 being harsh. Sometime I wonder if people really know what a truly harsh suspension feels like.

BMW listened to the peanut gallery and one of their engineers has been on record saying that they overboosted the steering and reduced feedback because customers complained the steering was not isolated enough and hard to park. It's a wonder Porsche hasn't done the same.

The GT3 should be an event and specialized and not for everyone. If anything, route those folks to the Turbo S where they will be honestly happier.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:04 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 590 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

Funny when people claim they want a "connected" experience with a sloppy suspension.

Note for the masses.... connection starts at the wheel, not the gear box.

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm sorry, but I think it's a little ridiculous to complain about a GT3 being harsh. Sometime I wonder if people really know what a truly harsh suspension feels like.

BMW listened to the peanut gallery and one of their engineers has been on record saying that they overboosted the steering and reduced feedback because customers complained the steering was not isolated enough and hard to park. It's a wonder Porsche hasn't done the same.

The GT3 should be an event and specialized and not for everyone. If anything, route those folks to the Turbo S where they will be honestly happier.
The Turbo S will be too much car for most GT guys.... just saying.

Last edited by Justaroofer; 04-08-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Diablo Dude (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer

The Turbo S will be too much car for most GT guys.... just saying.
Nah. TTS is easy. Almost too easy. That car is a pure cheat mode.
Diablo Dude (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
Nah. TTS is easy. Almost too easy. That car is a pure cheat mode.
I agree. Provides too much confidence. The thing on the TTS is its a significantly different powerband and thats one of the biggest things on the GT3 cars is the average GT3 guy shoots for the Revs and sounds and not the speed.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:36 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Watching this review today pretty much confirms what I suspected. There's a bit of steering lag which aids in the lack of jarring, but also robs handling.

Watch around 19:00-19:10.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 AM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

^ Some other things he said in the video...

- The car handles sensationally and gives you nice feedback in the steering
- I can't get the grin out of my face.
- It's been a long time since a car has given me that much trust
- This car is so simple and so pure, no rear-axle steering saves weight, magnesium wheels, ceramic brake, roof carbon, the chassis parts also carbon
- This car is a damn poem that's the reason many may ask themselves, wait a minute GT3 Touring costs €100,000 less. Why? Because the whole car changed
- You wouldn't believe how cool this car drives and how easily it drives
- Precision to be honest, this is the best car I've ever driven
Old 04-09-2024, 12:21 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by dave2020
^ Some other things he said in the video...

- The car handles sensationally and gives you nice feedback in the steering
- I can't get the grin out of my face.
- It's been a long time since a car has given me that much trust
- This car is so simple and so pure, no rear-axle steering saves weight, magnesium wheels, ceramic brake, roof carbon, the chassis parts also carbon
- This car is a damn poem that's the reason many may ask themselves, wait a minute GT3 Touring costs €100,000 less. Why? Because the whole car changed
- You wouldn't believe how cool this car drives and how easily it drives
- Precision to be honest, this is the best car I've ever driven
He bypasses 40 minutes of complimentary commentary for a single comment about the steering (amongst many) that feeds his hatred for the car. I say hatred because I've never in my life seen a person go through such exhaustive efforts to put a car down. Thread after thread, post after post, video after video. And it will never stop
fester (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: GT3 touring with S/T suspension tune